Half Marathon training

Options
2»

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    How long do you think would be needed to train for a half marathon if you're currently only at the 5k level, and what is the best way to go about training?

I'm wanting to complete a half marathon, and there's one in the city in mid October but I don't know if I'd be able to get to that level by then. Am I better to just go for a 10km for my next milestone and take more time to work up to a Half marathon?
    Should be enought time if you start now.
    The local HM is the last weekend of September and the training started last monday on the 7th. The level we start at is 3 miles which is the 5k.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Assuming you can run 3 miles at least 3-4 times a week comfortable, I would say you could comfortably train for a half marathon in 12-14 weeks. You definitely want to pic a training plan and stick with it so you comfortably and gradually build up your mileage week by week and reduce your risk for injury. There are plenty of FREE training plans out there...but look them over and decide which one fits your lifestyle and fitness level before committing. Here is an example of a free training plan online: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program.

Good Luck! If you would like to add me so that I can support you, I'd be happy to be a pal.

Kim
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I didn't use any training program for my first race (a half), I just was lucky. In my effort to lose weight I had been upping my miles until I was running 4 miles with weight lifting three days a week, six miles on two days and a 10 mile run on the weekend. I came home Friday morning from my four mile run with a Nautilus set in the middle and saw there was a half marathon the next morning. I said to myself "I am going to do it". I did fine 1:54:30 and was lucky my workout happened to be what I needed.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Depending on how confident you are in your running, you could also follow a plan by Jeff Galloway that involves run/walk intervals. Personally, I use walk intervals in my running and am faster for it than if I ran continuously (with fewer/no injuries to boot). In my last half, I did a 9 minute run, 1 minute walk interval, though Jeff recommends shorter run segments for someone at my pace (completed in 2:33)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
    This!

I have about 10 half marathons under my belt and I've done each of them in run/walk intervals. I'm much faster running 4 minutes at about 6 MPH and walking 1 minute at 3.5 MPH than I would be if I just ran the whole thing.

You can easily be ready in time for an October half marathon. My advice would be to find a good training plan that works for you and stick to it as closely as you can. If things don't go well the day of the race you can always just walk some of it. Then you just pick another race and keep training for that one. :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    12 weeks, my plan has long runs that increase to 10 miles the week before the half marathon, running 4 times a week.
    Do you know what the time limit is for the half marathon, the vegas half marathon has a time limit of 4hrs, which means it's just over 17.5 minute miles, which is enough time to walk most of it, check out the time allowed and calculate what you minimum speed would have to be and how comfortable you would be with that speed:)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine, you just have to commit to the training.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Check out your local running stores.

Many of the running stores offer group clinics with coaching. These coaches are typically experienced runners who have advanced knowledge of how to run a Full or Half Marathon.

They will get you on a program and monitor your progress and assist you if you have any issues.

I have coached for the Running Room here in Canada. Their programs are usually well attended and offer a fair value for the price ($70).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo's training program. It tests me along the way to ensure it's challenging me enough, and it's no-fuss

Likewise. It has some frustrations but it's working well for me. I'm doing the HM in 16 weeks with 4 sessions per week. I've used it for 10K improvement before as well.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    In the summer of 2011 I ran my first 5K in July and my first half marathon in October - you can absolutely do it.

I used a program from marathonrookie.com. I like this one because it was relatively simple compared to some of the other beginner plans out there... it is based on mileage only - no pace/timing necessary - and not intimidating at all.

My goal for my first half was first, to finish, and second, to run the entire thing. I achieved both goals and finished in 2hrs 30 mins. Since then, I have completed 7 half marathons and have worked my time back to 1 hr 54 mins.

If you set your mind to it and stay committed to the plan - you can do it.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Sub-2:30 plan via Runkeeper. It's four runs per week for 16 weeks. It starts with 3 mi. runs, so I'd say if you're comfortable running that a few times per week then you will be fine. I really like that you run 13 mi. twice and 14 mi. once during the training - I like the idea of knowing I can do the full distance BEFORE I pin that race bib on.
  • baseballgirl2027
    baseballgirl2027 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I used a program from marathonrookie.com. I like this one because it was relatively simple compared to some of the other beginner plans out there... it is based on mileage only - no pace/timing necessary - and not intimidating at all.

This. MarathonRookie is a great site!! I signed up for a half in October as well, and I start training in two weeks. I'm running 3x/week with cross training (mostly spin and elliptical with some strength circuits) 2x/week and two rest days thrown in. It's Florida in the summer, so training is going to be pretty laid-back if I'm not in air conditioning!!

I don't know about you, but I'm in it just for the fitness and the medals. And t-shirts. :) I'm not super-competitive, just out there to have fun and get off the couch.

Good luck with your training!!
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    16 weeks. I am currently using the 21K app and am in week 2. I ran a 10K on 21st June and my HM is October 5th.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I trained for my first 1/2 marathon in 6 weeks, from a base of not nearly enough. It was a very very hard 2 hours when I ran it.
    You've got time to find a program that fits your schedule, and then jump on it!

It's a great goal - go go go !! :O)
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Sub-2:30 plan via Runkeeper. It's four runs per week for 16 weeks. It starts with 3 mi. runs, so I'd say if you're comfortable running that a few times per week then you will be fine. I really like that you run 13 mi. twice and 14 mi. once during the training - I like the idea of knowing I can do the full distance BEFORE I pin that race bib on.

I'm also using the Sub-2:30 plan via Runkeeper. I agree with you about running the distance prior to the race. I like the structure of the training and feel it is totally obtainable. I actually want to try for a sub 2:15 but that training plan seemed too intense with the mileage. I'm using the sub 2:30 mileage but running it at a little faster pace. I've also used training plans for the mileage and run at a slower pace. Having a structured plan is a good start but knowing you can modify to fit your needs is important. You can do it!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I just started the hal higdon novice 1 1/2 marathon programme yesterday. I'm actually very nervous about registering for the 1/2 (19th october), so I haven't taken 'that' step yet.

I plan to see how I feel after a couple of weeks. I have run 10k (and more) before, but never this much, so I'm not new to running. That said, I managed the 3 mile run today with only minimal walking breaks. What I like about this programme is that it is all about the distance and not the speed.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide - I might post again if I get brave enough to register!
  • Flyers1010
    Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good thread! I did my first half last spring, but never planned to run it in it's entirety, because I'm not much for running past about 6 miles at a time. Also, we only gave ourselves 8 weeks to get ready, so I knew all along that I would walk every few minutes or so.

Nonetheless, it gave me the motivation to try again next spring, and this time train appropriately. I'm bumping this thread to save for mid-winter! :-)
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I'm training for my second half marathon in 2 weeks. I'm a dummy though!!
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

This. MarathonRookie is a great site!! I signed up for a half in October as well, and I start training in two weeks. I'm running 3x/week with cross training (mostly spin and elliptical with some strength circuits) 2x/week and two rest days thrown in. It's Florida in the summer, so training is going to be pretty laid-back if I'm not in air conditioning!!

I don't know about you, but I'm in it just for the fitness and the medals. And t-shirts. :) I'm not super-competitive, just out there to have fun and get off the couch.

Good luck with your training!!

Thanks! just checked this site out, looks pretty good and straightforward but I'll just have to convert the program into kms as I'm Aussie lol.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If you can comfortably run 5k, it should be 12-16 weeks to build to a half, depending on how things go. I've used Hal Higdon plans in the past and am following his Marathon Novice 2 plan right now which is 18 weeks (I started in June for an October marathon); and his HM program is 12 weeks long http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program. I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but I think you could do it in that amount of time, and you can add in some rest weeks if you had extra time before the race.

Good luck with training!
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I stated running back in late Feb at the ripe old age of 49. I have turned 50 earlier this month and evidently lost my mind as I have decided to run a HM. I looked up several plans and decided on Hal Higdon Novice 1 training. Prior to this decision, I had been doing 5 to 6 miles runs 5 times a week and even worked up to a 7 mile run. Obviously I was over training. My thought process was well if I ran 5 miles yesterday then I have to do at least that tomorrow. If I ran 6 miles today well I can't run less than that next time. Heck I was killing myself and was severely exhausted. Finding a plan and working it has definitely made a difference this week. The HM I am running will be on September 20th, so I only have about 10 weeks to train. That being said, since I was already running a good amount, I jumped on the Hal Higdon plan in week 3. I think all will go well.