If you train fasted...when do you need food?

Options
So I know lots of people work out early morning in a pretty much fasted state. And on a weekend I do this too, I would go out for a jog or do my kettlebell workout first thing before eating. And then I would eat breakfast afterwards.

But during the week I have been following the 16 / 8 intermittent fasting plan and I am enjoying this. I have a big appetite so like to eat two really good sized meals and a couple of snacks and stay within my calorie goals.

In the past I have woken up at 4.45am and had a workout before work and once in the pattern of this have enjoyed it and was thinking of doing it again. I sometimes miss a workout in the evenings because after working full time, spending 90 minutes behind the wheel, making dinner, cleaning up and getting my boys bathed and in bed I just don't always have the energy.

But if I train early in the morning...... is it still ok to go to like 11am - noon without eating anything? I generally have dinner about an hour after working out on a night and includes meat of some sort so pretty high protein. Would I have to stop doing the 16 / 8 plan if I worked out on a morning (evenings are when I am hungry and need my calories so couldn't change the eating / fasting hours)

Replies

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've wondered the same thing.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am 4 days per week and always do so fasted. Aside from a protein shake after the workout, I don't usually eat until after 10 AM and sometimes even later than that. I've had no issues.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    It's fine as long as you aren't super hungry. You obviously need to refuel your energy and as long as you are eating enough during the course of the day you're fine. it's your body andwow, how may theories are there?? Listen to YOU and how your body responds, and if it's responding well then that's what you should be doing. I have a client who is like you are and she has always has the energy to sustain her workouts and is not hungry at all after her workout and eats lunch & dinner.

I also do a 16/8 (I eat from 8 - 4) - and it works for me, and I also work out fasted -- but I am always SUPER hungry after I work out so I eat afterwards. I eat a big morning meal, a big lunch and lighter early dinner since I am usually not hungry at all past around 3:30. I cook early for the family and I eat first since they aren't hungry that early. (my hubby nicknamed me the early bird special lol). This works well for my body!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options