Who has done a slow carb diet?

Options
I started slow carbing on Sunday. I have already lost four pounds, FOUR POUNDS! The first two weeks are always super effective of course because of diminishing water weight and such, but I'm super happy with how it's been going so far. Each of my meals consists of a protein, lentil, and a vegetable. I'm super impressed with the results and look forward to continuing the trend! My goal is 2 pounds a week.

Any other slow carbers out there? Don't knock it until you try it. :D

Replies

• rcpayton
    rcpayton Posts: 90
    Options
    I know you posted originally a few weeks back but how are you doing now? I have been slow-carbing for a month and love it! Down 7.5 lbs overall (avg 1.5-2lbs per week) and feel great. The only time I dont feel so great is after cheat day but I guess my body does not really like the huge carb intake that day. Otherwise, I love this plan and can see and feel the difference!

Good luck to you!
  • meganac69
    meganac69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 10 days in and have lost about 6 pounds. Today will be my first cheat day, I had a pretty slow carb friendly breakfast, but have plans for some goodies later on...
  • splashtree2
    Options
    I'm a low carbs and is the only way to burn fat only fat!! I like very much carbs and i suffer sometimes cause to train is hard but the results pay off so i keep it up, i allow myself one cheat meal per week and i keep loosing so far...
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I started slow carb today. Really excited to get going and see some results. I did it 3 yrs ago when I first joined MFP and had awesome success with it. I really like this plan.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How is this different than keto?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    What is a "slow carb" diet?
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What is a "slow carb" diet?

yes, please explain.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The Slow-Carb Diet is based on eating foods with a low glycemic index. It can be summarized as the elimination of starches and anything sweet (including fruit and all artificial sweeteners) and a strong preference for lean protein, legumes and vegetables. The main foods are eggs, fish, grass-fed beef, lentils, beans, vegetables (like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, radish), mushrooms, fermented foods and drinks (natto, kimchi, sauerkraut), unsweetened tea or coffee and water. Calorie-dense nuts and legumes such as pecans, chickpeas, hummus, and peanuts are allowed under careful portion control. Plain coffee is allowed, but all milk products are to be avoided except cottage cheese.

These foods are not consumed on the Slow-Carb Diet:[4] milk, cheese, refined soy products (Soy milk, tofu, tempeh, soy protein shake), fruit (except for sour fruits like lemons and limes, or savoury fruits such as olives,tomatoes and avocados[6]) potatoes (yams, yuca, any starchy vegetable), bread, rice, grains, oatmeal, quinoa, ketchup and all sauces and dressings with sugar, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, fructose, deep-fried breaded food, corn, popcorn. No alcohol other than dry wine is allowed (Ferriss notes that he drinks a glass of red wine daily).

Similar to a keto diet, but not focused on high fat for energy and disallows a few keto staples.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have even never heard of a slow carb diet :huh:
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's awesome. I've tried it before but never could maintain it long term. I like cheese and pizza too much. I always find myself slowly slipping back into bad routines.

I count calories and do a very strict portion control. I might not lose as quickly but I'm still losing. It's all about finding what works for you and if it works then keep at it.

Best of luck :smile:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    The Slow-Carb Diet is based on eating foods with a low glycemic index. It can be summarized as the elimination of starches and anything sweet (including fruit and all artificial sweeteners) and a strong preference for lean protein, legumes and vegetables. The main foods are eggs, fish, grass-fed beef, lentils, beans, vegetables (like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, radish), mushrooms, fermented foods and drinks (natto, kimchi, sauerkraut), unsweetened tea or coffee and water. Calorie-dense nuts and legumes such as pecans, chickpeas, hummus, and peanuts are allowed under careful portion control. Plain coffee is allowed, but all milk products are to be avoided except cottage cheese.

These foods are not consumed on the Slow-Carb Diet:[4] milk, cheese, refined soy products (Soy milk, tofu, tempeh, soy protein shake), fruit (except for sour fruits like lemons and limes, or savoury fruits such as olives,tomatoes and avocados[6]) potatoes (yams, yuca, any starchy vegetable), bread, rice, grains, oatmeal, quinoa, ketchup and all sauces and dressings with sugar, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, fructose, deep-fried breaded food, corn, popcorn. No alcohol other than dry wine is allowed (Ferriss notes that he drinks a glass of red wine daily).

Similar to a keto diet, but not focused on high fat for energy and disallows a few keto staples.

No thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Tim Ferriss's slow carb diet? NO.

Slow carb as my general approach to eating for the last 12-13 years? YES.

I build my diet around nutrient dense vegetables, lean meats, dairy, nuts, seeds, legumes, and 100% whole grains and fruits.
    I eat pasta and pizza and sandwiches. I just choose healthier versions than I used to.

Not remotely similar to keto the way I approach it. Slow, not low.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner to ketogenic diets. My girlfriend said a couple weeks ago that she was going to follow www.ruled.me's plan, and she has. I, of course, was a skeptic. I did NOT want to give up my taters and cantaloupe. But I am learning about it, and think it may be a good option.

I give props to you who are doing the slow carb (which I learned about on this thread 3 minutes ago). I definitely could not do it, because I love dairy, specifically cheese.

Anyone doing the keto diet, please friend request me. I need some support on this. Started for the first time today!
    Josh
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner to ketogenic diets. My girlfriend said a couple weeks ago that she was going to follow www.ruled.me's plan, and she has. I, of course, was a skeptic. I did NOT want to give up my taters and cantaloupe. But I am learning about it, and think it may be a good option.

I give props to you who are doing the slow carb (which I learned about on this thread 3 minutes ago). I definitely could not do it, because I love dairy, specifically cheese.

Anyone doing the keto diet, please friend request me. I need some support on this. Started for the first time today!
    Josh
    I'd have a hard time giving up cheese as well. It's one of my weaknesses.
  • strawberrytech
    Options
    I'm doing a slow carb diet but as the carbs are so low and only beans I do find that I get into a keto state usually pretty early in the week, depends on how active I am.