Tilapia recipes

Options
tntcpl98
tntcpl98 Posts: 4
Hello all. This is my first time posting on here, so please forgive me if this is not in correct form. :smile: My husband and I are starting to eat healthier and I know one thing that is good for us to eat is fish. My husband loves it...I hate it. But, in order to get the protein and health benefits from fish, I am willing to eat it. I would just like to know if anyone has a recipe for tilapia to make it taste less fishy and anything I can add to it for some extra flavor. Thank you!! I hope everyone has a great day :flowerforyou:

Replies

• emjohnston2014
    Options
    Try adding lemon and dill to it :)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Wrap a filet in aluminum foil with crushed pineapple, some tomato sauce, diced bell peppers and onion. Season with crushed red pepper (if you like spicy), ginger, garlic, and black pepper. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Open the foil a bit and bake an additional 5 minutes. If you get fresh fish, it will have less of that "fishy" taste than frozen fish.
  • TMLfan1982
    TMLfan1982 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brush filets with some melted butter and lemon juice. Pat on a mixture of panko, old bay, salt and pepper (or whatever you like). Bake for 15 minutes at 350 or pan fry in oil for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Top with a little pesto (I use roasted tomato pesto) and a bit of parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Delish.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The best recipe I have for making Tilapia is just making Salmon instead.

But if that's not a possibility, I always found it came out best in a foil pouch with a ton of garlic, and some lemon. And salt and pepper of course.

The foil pouch is so much easier than the stove for such a soft piece of fish.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Crust it with toasted panko. Take about a cup of panko and place in a dry skillet with some sage, celery seed, thyme and just a dash of cayenne. Toast on medium for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently until it browns. By now, your mouth will be watering, because it smells fantastic! Put the crumbs in a pan. Salt your fish, dip into an egg/water mixture, and then coat them with the panko. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Delicious!

My hubby and I love this recipe. He's not much for fish, either...unless it's deep-fried. LOL But he gets really excited when I say I'm making Tilapia. :bigsmile:
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is our favorite... Dip fillets in beaten egg, roll in 1/2 pinko and 1/2 corn meal, 1 /2 T favorite seasoning. ( I use Lawrys Seasoning ) Bake in foil lined pan that has a 1 /2 T oil on it. Bake 350 till brown. Crispy and yummy.. Hope you enjoy.
  • Runningwild103
    Options
    I love blackened seasoning on mine.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bumping to pinch some idea's ;)
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-soy-tilapia/

I THINK this is the recipe I used (it's been a while). I like sweeter sauces on fish, and I made a honey and soy recipe that was really good and had strong flavor. Any recipes with garlic too do a good job of hiding the fishy flavor you're talking about.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Broiled Tilapia Parmesan. It has been a favorite to everyone I have made it for; even those who didn't particularly care for fish have asked for the recipe ~ enjoy,
    Original recipe makes 8 servings Change Servings

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon celery salt
    2 pounds tilapia fillets

Directions

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
    In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
    Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas
  • honeytgb
    honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a fish besides tilapia since it's one of the stronger smelling fishes.

Maybe try tuna, salmon, pomfret, or rainbow trout. They are milder, aromatically.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I use a certain spice mixture on my fish sometimes which is spicy and makes it taste very non-fishy. It's made for chicken, obviously, but I sprinkle it on talapia, flounder or cod and then bread it very lightly with flour or panko and then either pan-fry, bake or broil, depending on how much oil I feel like including in my cals. If you like spicy food at all, this stuff is the bomb.

0004760001343_A?$img_size_380x380$
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I use Tilapia for fish tacos. White corn tortillas, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, cucumber and your favorite salsa makes for healthy easy dinner.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a fish besides tilapia since it's one of the stronger smelling fishes.

Maybe try tuna, salmon, pomfret, or rainbow trout. They are milder, aromatically.

Actually talapia is a very light fish and has very little fishy flavor. It's one of the fish recommended for people who don't like fish. Salmon is way fishier.