Any vegetarians out there?

Options
I am trying to slowly phase meat out of my diet. I love animals, and I hate when animals are treated inhumanely, FOOD INC, anyone? I still plan on eating eggs and fish. (don't hate). I need some support, good friends, and ways to keep my protein count high.

Replies

• absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I'm a pseudo-vegetarian! I only eat meat on very, very special occasions when it is high quality and preferably I know the source (e.g. who killed it, where from, etc)...

I highly suggest dairy as a protein source... though the way dairy cows are treated isn't very good either, its a good place to start with the transition to mainly vegetarian foods. That and beans, legumes, tempeh (preferably fermented soy products)...

I'm here for any questions if you need them!!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I was impacted by FOOD INC too! We now have chickens :o) We live in Mexico so there are still grain fed animals down here...ie cows. But we eat Mediterranean...you may like to check it out because you can still eat some meat but there's a lot of great info I glean from vegen sites :D Mediterranean is the healthiest in all of the world!!!! You'd love it! I make a lot of soups that include lentils & beans. Made a yummy black bean vegetable soup over the weekend from allrecipes. :o)
  • akshaya
    akshaya Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey I have been a staunch vegetarian all my life. No fish,no eggs, no meat of any kind. For vegetarians it is very important to consume at least 2 servings of milk everyday and lentils or legumes in some form. This is where we get our protein from. I am not sure if you like it or not but i am a big fan of tofu which is also very high in protein. Indian food has some very interesting recipes for cooking lentils. You can add me and look at my food diary to see everything I eat. Also, I have never taken any multivitamins and I am perfectly normal eating just vegetarian food.