MFP sugar vs calories vs goals

Options
gfit123
gfit123 Posts: 36 Member
MFP calculated that to lose one 1lb a week doing 30min exercise daily, I should limit myself to about 1500cal and 31g of sugar. If I eat a couple of fruit a day, no added sugar or processed food at all, I am never able to keep my sugar that low. Is this realistic?

height 5'7
cw 160lbs
gw: 140lbs
47yr old woman

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Very few people worry about fruit sugar. Are you diabetic? Diagnosed insulin resistant? Does the fruit make you extra hungry or cause cravings for more sugary things? If the answer to all of the above is 'no' I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
  • 64denisej
    64denisej Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really think they mean added sugars, not those found naturally such as in fruit, veges & dairy. Hope I'm right. If not can someone please advice.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I really think they mean added sugars, not those found naturally such as in fruit, veges & dairy. Hope I'm right. If not can someone please advice.

A diabetic would find it helpful to track all sugars, even fruit sugars. Not sure, is there a setting for others to not count fruit sugars? I guess if you wanted to you could also create a diary entry: 'X fruit sugar not tracked' and use that.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

A diabetic would find it helpful to track all sugars, even fruit sugars. Not sure, is there a setting for others to not count fruit sugars? I guess if you wanted to you could also create a diary entry: 'X fruit sugar not tracked' and use that.
    I don't think there is a setting to track only added sugars at the moment. I've seen a request for this option to be added, but don't know if it's being considered. I personally don't track sugar because practically all my sugar comes from veggies and fruits and I don't worry about it since I have no problems with blood sugar.
  • gfit123
    gfit123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not diabetic. I have it in my immediate family though. Just trying to cut down the ADDICTION to sugar and the unnecessary calories. MFP counts sugar in fruits but I will just avoid candy, cookies, muffins and the like, Thanks
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Not diabetic. I have it in my immediate family though. Just trying to cut down the ADDICTION to sugar and the unnecessary calories. MFP counts sugar in fruits but I will just avoid candy, cookies, muffins and the like, Thanks

*sigh*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind...

1. your goal to exercise for 30 minutes per day is for you and you only...it has no bearing on your calorie goals. This is why you log exercise after the fact and get those calories to "eat back"...that's how you account for them with MFP.

2. if you don't have a medical condition that warrants tracking sugar and you aren't consuming mass quantities of the stuff, I wouldn't worry about it. The recommendation for sugar here is for added sugar; any fruit consumption is going to send you over. There is no sanctioned international consensus on what appropriate sugar consumption should be. I take in around 80 grams per day and I"m doing just fine.

3. .things that generally contain a lot of added sugars generally have very little nutritional value otherwise so it's best to consume these kinds of things in small quantities as they are really just empty calories. I don't avoid sweet treats, but I eat them in far more moderation than I used to.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

*sigh*

post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif