Opinions on OrangeTheory

Options
Hi, I just recently heard about this. Can anyone chime in with their experiences and opinion? I am doing a RIPPED class twice a week but I was wondering if this approach was that much better. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Replies

• freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    could you brief me on the orange theory?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    tyra_wtf.gif
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    WTF is orange theory?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know people who like it. It's expensive. I figure I can do HIIT with a HRM at home, with resistance circuits. That's not the same, though, if you like a group atmosphere and someone urging you on!

I wouldn't put too much stock in the role of EPOC, which seems to be their main claim to uniqueness.
    https://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Hot-Topic-Role-of-EPOC-in-Weight-Loss/
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    WTF is orange theory?

It's a new gym. One opened up near me a few weeks ago. Don't know anything else about it (though the ads they've sent make it seem like a Crossfit offshoot).
  • TheChuDog
    TheChuDog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is a small gym type franchise business model that has cross fit type activity led for an hour. The unique nature of the gym is that you wear a heart monitor that broadcasts your progress and heart rate on a large monitor and through some EPOC process that supposedly optimizes calorie burning for days after your workouts. It is very expensive.
  • redsoxmj
    redsoxmj Posts: 31
    Options
    I've been going to Orangetheory for about 2 months now, and I'll say I absolutely love it! I have never been a morning person, but I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to get to the class at 5:15 4 days a week, a day at 6:30a, and one at 8am. To explain the classes, you transition between interval training on treadmills and row machine as well as strength training (weights, kettlebells, medicine balls, TRX, Bosu balls and Ab Dollys) for an entire hour (sometimes split 30/30, others 20/20/20, 6 10 minutes or even 5 minute sessions for each area of the gym). Each class is also entirely different than any other you have taken before. I enjoy it because it goes quick, you are never doing anything for longer than 3 minutes, and with the treadmill (my enemy) you move between intervals in speed or incline depending on if you are a runner or a power walker. The trainer also tries to give alternate movements for the weight exercises if you are unable to do the original exercise and will walk around class correcting form. I also enjoy the fact the trainer is walking around the entire time, not doing the same exercises as the class, so that you feel more accountable. I have never pushed myself as hard exercising as I do every day in there. It is expensive, but no more so than a Crossfit gym, Yoga studios, or other class based exercise facilities. I've tried to recreate the exercises at home, but I poop out around 30-40 minutes, whereas I make it through the whole class everytime without dying (even though I think I might). I also feel like a bada** after the gym, because I actually made it through the entire class, even after doing it for 2 months! The HRM is helpful at times, but I agree, it's a bit of a gimmick, the trainer will push you hard enough to stay where you need to me. Also, all the trainers I have had while working out there (2 different gyms) are AMAZING lots of energy, great tunes and tons of positive reinforcement. I know I sound like an ad for the gym, but I just really enjoy going there, and I've never enjoyed working out before I started. I hope I was also able to explain how the classes are a little bit.