save enough calories for a good snack!

Options
Stupid question I'm sure but I'm asking anyways. Up until a week or two ago, I ate crap every night, specifically a box of cookies every night before bed. I did it because of my depression and I thought it made me feel better. I finally decided to change my lifestyle and my eating habits for the better. I've been doing very well with healthy meals and including fruits and veggies and beans and such. Eating almonds and granola has been my snack lately but since I've been eating under my 1200 calories after my calories burned are subtracted, I've been eating ice cream every few nights with the family. If I still stay under my 1200, is it OK to indulge to every now and then ?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You don't eat UNDER 1200 cals, you're supposed to HIT it. That number is a goal, not a limit.

Furthermore, MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Seeing as you only have a little bit of weight to lose, a 1200 calorie diet is very, very aggressive for your goals. Set you cal goals higher, and it will be much easier on your body. The weight loss might go a little slower, but the closer you get to goal, the more that is to be expected, anyway. Don't rush it.

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.

(But to answer your question, yes, it is totally acceptable to save calories for whatever you want. As long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight.)
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    You don't eat UNDER 1200 cals, you're supposed to HIT it. That number is a goal, not a limit.

Furthermore, MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Seeing as you only have a little bit of weight to lose, a 1200 calorie diet is very, very aggressive for your goals. Set you cal goals higher, and it will be much easier on your body. The weight loss might go a little slower, but the closer you get to goal, the more that is to be expected, anyway. Don't rush it.

Go to

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight.

(But to answer your question, yes, it is totally acceptable to save calories for whatever you want. As long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight.)

I am gonna use that calculator but I honestly can say I feel good eating 1200 day after eating back the calories burned from working out. I'm 5 foot 5 and weigh 130
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Go to

I am gonna use that calculator but I honestly can say I feel good eating 1200 day after eating back the calories burned from working out. I'm 5 foot 5 and weigh 130

Why are you trying to loose weight at 5'5" and 130 lbs? You are already at a good weight. It is more likely you need to exercise and increase fitness and muscle. To do either you're going to need to eat. It doesn't sound like you've been cutting calories for long. You can function at an unhealthy deficit for a while but then it will catch up with you and you'll feel and look like crap.

Food is not bad. Your body needs the right foods in the right proportions to be strong and healthy. If you don't feed your body, you're going to have problems.

I suggest scrutinizing your objectives and then working on a healthy way to achieve the body you want. Ice cream is not bad. I eat ice cream and a lot do other things. A treat when it fits your calories and macros is great as far as I'm concerned. But you need to be meeting your calories and macros before worrying about treats.