How is it possible????

Options
Today is weigh in weight. I thought I was going to do great; 2 to 3 lbs down at least. well it turns out I gained 1!!!!! Last week I lowered my calorie intake to 1200 down 100 from the week before thinking it was going help me loose some more.
90%of the days i stayed within my net calories. I exercised 6 days out of the week at high intensities. So what went wrong??? Please someone help me!!!

Replies

• hjp1000
    Options
    If you have exercised 6 days running the way it could be possible is that your body has converted fat to muscle, muscle weighs 3 times that of fat. However this isn't necessarily bad as musscle needs more calories to respire so you will eventually see another drop in weight once your body has enough muscle to keep up with the exercise. Only way I can think of it being possible, hope that helps
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    it could be the time of the month or water retention to do with it,i always weigh heavier in mid cycle(around day 15!!)
    not to worry...it will come right
  • Cosiehosie
    Cosiehosie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe you ate too little and your body went into starvation mode? Or is it coming up to 'time of the month'?
  • maineislandgirl
    maineislandgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is normal for our bodies to fluctuate as much as 2 lbs in one day simply due to water. It is also good to note that muscle weighs more than fat so if you lost fat and gained muscle, it will look leaner but weigh more. I would not beat yourself up over this. Are you using the measurements other than weight? (Waist, Hips and Neck) because those will show more accurately your getting in shape than a scale will. Cheer up and hang in there!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight from working out. I do.that too. Are you eating your exercise calories? I lose more when I eat them.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It ended yesterday actually... :ohwell:

This is just frustrating because I'm doing everything right! preparing all the food, packing it etc.. even eating every 2.5 hrs.. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Fitzpoppa
    Options
    1200 Calories Wow. Seems low? Is that your allowance? If you don't get enough calories then the body will hold on to the fat for survival. Starvation mode. And you lose no weight.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    Could be water weight from working out. I do.that too. Are you eating your exercise calories? I lose more when I eat them.

Hi, yes I am eating all of them.. well most of them, some days was 100 cals left over, some other days i went slightly over by 100 or so.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    1200 Calories Wow. Seems low? Is that your allowance? If you don't get enough calories then the body will hold on to the fat for survival. Starvation mode. And you lose no weight.

That would be my net calories. Due to the amount of exercise i was eating on average 1550 calories total. Yup no lose.
    I think I will bump it up to 1300 net calories.. I lost 3lbs that week.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    It is normal for our bodies to fluctuate as much as 2 lbs in one day simply due to water. It is also good to note that muscle weighs more than fat so if you lost fat and gained muscle, it will look leaner but weigh more. I would not beat yourself up over this. Are you using the measurements other than weight? (Waist, Hips and Neck) because those will show more accurately your getting in shape than a scale will. Cheer up and hang in there!

Thank you.. I will hang in there. Its only my 2nd week of being true to myself though...but this always happens I gain it in 2 weeks and it takes me 6 months to lose 4 lbs.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    My food journal is open to everyone, if you don't mind taking a pick and maybe noticed something not right.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I found I could not lose weight at 1200 calories. I had to eat to lose. I upped my calories to 1350 and my weight loss restarted right away. I ate my 1350 and all or almost all my exercise calories and lost 20lbs in 21weeks, including my 4 or 5 week stall because of under eating.

I hope you find a formula that works for you. Best of luck on your journey.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    I found I could not lose weight at 1200 calories. I had to eat to lose. I upped my calories to 1350 and my weight loss restarted right away. I ate my 1350 and all or almost all my exercise calories and lost 20lbs in 21weeks, including my 4 or 5 week stall because of under eating.

I hope you find a formula that works for you. Best of luck on your journey.

great advise.. I am increasing my calories back to 1300 right now.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    A couple of things come to mind:

Where are you getting your exercise calorie amounts? This site (MFP) tends to way over-estimate cals burned for many people. Same with machines at the gym. A heart rate monitor is the most accurate method if you have one. It's possible that you're eating too many exercise cals if you're using the estimates from this site.

I doubt you're gaining muscle. It takes months to add even a few pounds of muscle. It could be retained water, as previously mentioned.

Your diary looks pretty good. Some days you hit your cals, but go over on fat or carbs. Try to balance out all your goals. Also, you might want to track sodium for a few days and see if it's high. That can make you retain water as well.

Finally, be patient. Changing your numbers every week can be counter-productive. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to a month to see changes. Quit screwing with it - it'll come. Good luck!
  • glittersoul
    Options
    I took a look and I would say that you need to drink more water. That, of course, is if the water count in there is accurate. Seems kinda low if you are working out as hard as you are.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    A couple of things come to mind:

Where are you getting your exercise calorie amounts? This site (MFP) tends to way over-estimate cals burned for many people. Same with machines at the gym. A heart rate monitor is the most accurate method if you have one. It's possible that you're eating too many exercise cals if you're using the estimates from this site.

I doubt you're gaining muscle. It takes months to add even a few pounds of muscle. It could be retained water, as previously mentioned.

Your diary looks pretty good. Some days you hit your cals, but go over on fat or carbs. Try to balance out all your goals. Also, you might want to track sodium for a few days and see if it's high. That can make you retain water as well.

Finally, be patient. Changing your numbers every week can be counter-productive. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to a month to see changes. Quit screwing with it - it'll come. Good luck!

Thank you, this was great advise too. I actually have a hear rate monitor. And yes you are right I shouldn't be changing things too quick.
  • Pineapples
    Options
    I took a look and I would say that you need to drink more water. That, of course, is if the water count in there is accurate. Seems kinda low if you are working out as hard as you are.

Yes the water in there is accurate :frown: I am trying my hardest to go over 8glasses this week. That's my goal..
    Thank you for taking the time to look my journal over. Greatly appreciated.
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I work out a lot, and my muscles are sore, the scale is always up! Your muscles retain water to help them repair and build. If you are feeling sore and/or really working those muscles....I would bet its just water weight. Stick with it! I didnt see changes on the scale for awhile, but I did notice my clothes getting looser. Then all of a sudden, the scale started dropping. Good luck, you can do it!