To eat or not to eat calories earned from exercise

Options
Hi My Fitness Paleans! My question is this "are you supposed to consume the calories you earn or is it optional?" I never ate these before and I was fine between meals. Now I seem to be getting famished as my exercise regimen has been kicked up a notch. Any wisdom gleaned from your knowledge will be so appreciated. Thanks all.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hi My Fitness Paleans! My question is this "are you supposed to consume the calories you earn or is it optional?" I never ate these before and I was fine between meals. Now I seem to be getting famished as my exercise regimen has been kicked up a notch. Any wisdom gleaned from your knowledge will be so appreciated. Thanks all.

Yes, eating your calories back is the way MFP is designed. Be aware that calorie burns can be exaggerated in dare I say "most" instances so you may not want to eat back all your exercise calories. You have to play with the numbers to see what works best for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always did (adjusted for estimation error)...it's the way this tool is designed. From a pure common sense POV, it makes sense that if you are doing activity above and beyond the level of activity you input in your profile that you would need more calories and could consume more calories while still accomplishing the same goals. It's the way this and any other NEAT method calculator works.

Also, the stickies are a good read on how this tool works.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I eat if I'm hungry. Most days I do eat my exercise calories, but every now and then I don't just because I'm not hungry.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I personally dont but that is how this site is set up.

My trainer friends are well aware of this site and their suggestions are usually this:
    Because calorie burns are so estimated it is tough to get real close to how much you burned. Even if you did the exact exercise as the site has listed your metabolism could be diff, your intensity of the workout could very well be different.

They have told me time and time again that more people run into issues trying to eat back some of their calorie burns because.
    Their suggestions usually were at first to not eat them back. See how you feel and how your body responds. If you are getting into some big PT sessions and getting famished then start eating back 10% and see how it goes. Then to 15% and so on if need be.

But that is just how they do it
  • healthyNEWday4me
    Options
    Thanks so much. Good advice.
  • healthyNEWday4me
    Options
    Thanks. Self explanatory I know but I forgot to change my exercise. I will do that. Thank you.
  • healthyNEWday4me
    Options
    Okay, I will start slowly at first just to be sure I'm not overdoing it. Great idea! Thanks.
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This depends on what you're using to calculate calories. MFP uses NEAT.. I know there's the ability to find and set your calories to TDEE so that you eat the same everyday regardless of exercise.

That being said I ate generally about 50% of my exercise calories before I invested in a simple heart rate monitor as MFP does tend to overestimate. Now I eat closer to about 75% to allow for error and have been maintaining my weight without a lot of fluctuation.

Good Luck!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If your "Activity Level" used to calculate your base calories does not include expected exercise, then the MFP plan is eat back exercise calories; however, as a practice, it's a good idea overestimate food calories in and underestimate exercise calories. My practice was to eat back about half of the exercise calories.
  • CFrancine88
    CFrancine88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. I need to. I feel so drained after working out. Mind you, I just eat more throughout the day so the numbers might not be exact. You have to know your body. Personally, I know I have to eat ALL THE TIME when I'm working out and losing weight. I mean, every couple hours I'm eating something because I am constantly hungry. But it might be my body type. I missed my calling as an athlete. I put on muscle really quickly and have a large frame even though I'm not extremely tall for a woman. I could never be really slim unless I had some kind of illness.
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My main focus is to eat my daily calorie allotment. If I feel hungry I will dip into the execise calories. I do not eat them all back. at the most I will eat enough to "NET" 1200 calories for the day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    On maintenance, I am trying to get to the point of eating back my calories from exercise becausse I am still losing weight. I use a heart rate moniter to get my burn becuse MFP is inaccurate. I burn way less than they say because as I've lost weight, I've gained muscle and my body is more efficient; there fore lower burn rate foar all activities.
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I don't eat back my calories, but I do if I'm hungry :D
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My main focus is to eat my daily calorie allotment. If I feel hungry I will dip into the execise calories. I do not eat them all back. at the most I will eat enough to "NET" 1200 calories for the day.

Ditto
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back my exercise calories but I've been using the values calculated by Runkeeper (which talks to MFP). I believe the Runkeeper values because my weight loss seems consistent with the values it has been reporting.

add: I tend not to eat all the calories back though because I get full first.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not really sure how this is even a question...the whole reason I exercise is so that I can eat more!!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't in the sense that I look at how much I burn and eat that back. I give myself a calorie range instead of a set amount.
    On days I don't exercise I stay at the low end and when i do, I stay on the high end. Not every day but mostly. Sometimes I'll be at the high end when I don't exercise and sometimes the other way around.

I just make sure I'm always in a deficit, with or without the exercise.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    July 15, 2014 2:18 PM

Personally I'm not really sure how this is even a question...the whole reason I exercise is so that I can eat more!!

Haha me too!
  • ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do think you should give yourself the option to eat them back if you're hungry. Especially if you are given a 1,200 calorie a day limit like many users are, because that limit is borderline anorexic. Having said that, though, make sure you don't overestimate how many cals you are burning. Personally, I usually split the number in half and only eat those back. Seems like a good compromise.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I eat when I'm hungry. I almost never eat them all back though- not on purpose, it just works out that way.
    Oddly enough, since changing my diet to more nutrient dense foods, I find I don't need to stuff my face as often so I'm full for longer on less calories. Either way, it's not going to hurt if you decide to eat them back just make sure you're getting something out of it and not doing it because you're bored (which is what I would normally have done).