Will I always be the one who used to be fat?

Options
lavendy17
lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
Just a lighthearted gripe...

For those who already lost a good portion of their weight, do you ever feel like everyone who knows you a long time, always sees you in comparison to how you were?

I have been the same weight for 3 years now after losing 25lbs way back. I'm 5"2 so it was really noticeable.
Every time I see someone I have not seen in a while they asked me if I lost weight. Nope, I even gain 3-4 lbs. I also am a little out of shape, and my clothes don't fit as well. But I get the sense that in their minds I'm always that chubby girl. And I'm like, get over it... this is who I am now, a normal, healthy person.
I know, I know, first world problems, but sometimes I think it's a little bit annoying, like they will never see me as anything other than a chubby person, who happens to be temporarily thinner.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    ....I feel like no matter what I say, I won't be able to win here...

(that's probably how most of your friends feel, too...)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I hope you get I never say that to their faces, right? I'm polite! Just something I was thinking... like I don't get why my weight has to come up first thing when they see me... you know?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I run into people from high school that I haven't seen in 15+ years. The look of shock is always the same.

It's been so long since I was overweight that I often forget I was ever overweight. They seem to remember though.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    "like they will never see me as anything other than a chubby person, who happens to be temporarily thinner."

I guess it's how you look at it. My family always comments about my weight loss (even though I've maintained for 2 years now). I know their comments are from their shock at my dedication and commitment to my weight.
    (A lot of people in my family struggle with yo-yo dieting. So it's amazement and how I have /not/ yo-yo'ed.)

So I think it's more of them seeing you as a past chubby person who committed to being healthier and thinner and not just "temporarily thinner".

That's my 2 cents! :)