My Reality Check

Options
As I am starting this weight loss journey I am having a hard time keeping myself in check. Although I rationally know that just because I have changed my eating habits I won't lose all of the weight over night, and just because I have joined the gym that doesn't make me in shape I still am looking for the instant gratification that I know will get me in trouble.

I see it all the time in my job as a realtor, young people have often eliminated looking for "the starter home" and want the 4 bedroom 3 baths, with the attached 2 car garage and I have to give them the reality check that those typically aren't in their price range. We spend countless hours talking about how much they can afford each month until finally the light bulb goes off and they realize that they have to amend their want list.

So now I am trying to amend my want list to help myself take this in smaller steps to help eliminate the discouragement that I am feeling. Trying to figure out my "starter" goal and move forward from there. I have to learn to look for my instant gratification in smaller things, like how supportive my family has been at giving me the time I need each day to go to the gym and work out. Or treating the 4 pounds I have lost as a success and not, not enough.

I hope as part of this journey I also can learn that instant gratification is overrated. As of right now, I'm not there yet!

Replies

• KatSweets
    Options
    I have been there! I know the feeling! I think we have all been there at least once in our lives. But that's what we are here for to loss weight and be healthy. Encouragement is what keeps me going.

YOU CAN DO THIS! Setting small goals is the way to go. It def. makes things a lot easier and you feel more accomplished in the long run.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I'll be happy to keep you encouraged and be a part of your support team. That's what we are here for!

Good luck on your weight loss journey as I' d like to call mine is a "lifestyle change". :0)
  • misskate1971
    misskate1971 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I have been doing this dieting/lifestyle changing for years. So, a couple of weeks ago, I joined MFP. It has helped me to see that 1. I am definitely not alone on this journey; 2. there are many great tools and ideas here--check out all the message boards!; 3. Mini Goals are really helpful. I have some at the bottom of my posts. 4. Reward yourself & don't get down on yourself when you slip up. It's going to happen from time to time. You just have to get back up on the horse & try again.

Don't be discouraged. If you want to be friends & support each other, I will be your friend! Take care of yourself & keep going!!!

Kate
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You are so true, about taking small steps, I'm in the same boat. I would like to have results right away but My dr advise me to take baby steps & a small wt goal & go from there.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    This lifestyle change is about patience, which I have a hard time with. I just want to wake up in the morning, jump on the scale and see a big weight loss but that's wishful thinking. I did really well this week but when I jumped on the scale, I was disappointed. Several of my support friends have gone through the same and they're trying to lighten up my mood but it's tough. A tiny bit of me is saying "whats the point?" but then I start thinking.."why give this up when I'm come this far? I'm eating right and working out". I see other members with big weight loss but what I don't see is how long it took them to get there until I ask.

Good luck to you!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Instant gratification is exactly how dieting gets discouraging/hopeless. I am trying to keep my mind off of how badly I want my body to look better, from the lumpy, flabby mess it is to all put together and within its frame. I feel like I work so hard and am denying my cravings just to lose a pound this week :/ Oh well... slow can be ok... slow is actually better than too fast but oh its so tough sometimes.

I agree with you. Just because I worked my butt off doesn't mean I will have a sculpted body overnight
  • KatSweets
    Options
    I started MFP and my lifestyle change on August 1st, 2010. To date I've lost 29.1 lbs. It's been a very up and down time for me but it can be done I just keep thinking well if I keep at the pace I am right now in another 5 months will have lost approx. 60 lbs. Because I know I'm on the right track to a happier, healthier me and I'm loving every minute of it.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    As I am starting this weight loss journey I am having a hard time keeping myself in check. Although I rationally know that just because I have changed my eating habits I won't lose all of the weight over night, and just because I have joined the gym that doesn't make me in shape I still am looking for the instant gratification that I know will get me in trouble.

I see it all the time in my job as a realtor, young people have often eliminated looking for "the starter home" and want the 4 bedroom 3 baths, with the attached 2 car garage and I have to give them the reality check that those typically aren't in their price range. We spend countless hours talking about how much they can afford each month until finally the light bulb goes off and they realize that they have to amend their want list.

So now I am trying to amend my want list to help myself take this in smaller steps to help eliminate the discouragement that I am feeling. Trying to figure out my "starter" goal and move forward from there. I have to learn to look for my instant gratification in smaller things, like how supportive my family has been at giving me the time I need each day to go to the gym and work out. Or treating the 4 pounds I have lost as a success and not, not enough.

I hope as part of this journey I also can learn that instant gratification is overrated. As of right now, I'm not there yet!

And the light bulb clicked!! You are well on your way. Stay positive no matter what that little voice in your head says. Its easy to give in to it. Hard to stand up against it, but more gratifying if you do.