high protein oatmeal-instant

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
Hey all, looking to add a protein filled oatmeal to my breakfast. I dont have time to make anything stove top, so instant would have to be the way to go for me.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Quaker just released a high protein oatmeal, I think it's in 2 flavors right now. My husband likes the banana nut one.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i just bought the banana nut one also (but have not tried it yet). It's still only 10g of protein though.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    hmmm, Ive heard about people adding protein powder to their oatmeal. Maybe someone can respond with suggestions. I would like to get at least 20grams of protein for breakfast.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would probably be to add protein powder to your oatmeal if you want at least 20g of protein, or else eat something other than oatmeal for breakfast. Also, for what it's worth, regular rolled oats take 2 minutes in the microwave. You'll save a lot of money and can have complete control of what it's your oatmeal by switching to rolled oats from instant.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I eat Quaker Protein Maple & Brown Sugar and sometime add protein powder to it.
    I usually heat my water, mix the powder in, then add the oatmeal.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    hmmm, Ive heard about people adding protein powder to their oatmeal. Maybe someone can respond with suggestions. I would like to get at least 20grams of protein for breakfast.

I tried this and really hated it. It was like the texture of wall spackle.

Now, I just have a protein shake and some oatmeal for complex carbs separate.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Homemade Instant Oatmeal "Packets" Recipe: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/10/the-secret-to-making-homemade-instant-oatmeal-packets.html

Add a scoop of protein powder and whatever else you want. Voila - high protein instant oatmeal.

ETA: It's important to have a good protein powder that mixes well. Mine tastes absolutely delicious in oatmeal and it doesn't affect the texture at all. If you have crappy protein powder, you're going to have crappy oatmeal.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Go to dhftns.com and you'll find all kinds of protein oatmeal recipes. My favorite is White Chocolate Raspberry Protein Oatmeal, I have it all the time.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Switch off oatmeal :) Greek yogurt topped with some raw oats, dried fruit, and nuts has tons of protein and requires no prep.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder is really good too. It's like pudding.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this meets your requirement of "no time for stovetop." It's cold (refrigerator) oatmeal you soak the night before, and then just eat it straight in the morning.

1/4 C steel cut oats
    3 oz nonfat greek yogurt
    4 oz nonfat milk
    4 g chia seeds

The brand of yogurt I buy (my supermarket's house brand) is really high in protein, but the above recipe comes out at 19 g of protein for me. Add 100 g of fruit in the morning and that tops out at 20 g of protein. Takes less than 5 minutes to assemble the night before, and then eat straight out of the fridge in the morning. 340 calories (including the fruit), 20 g protein, 30% daily calcium requirement. You can sweeten with stevia if you like or real sugar or honey or maple syrup if a few extra calories don't bother you.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big pot of Steel cut oats on sunday and refridgerate it. Then in the morning measure out a portion add some almond milk and warm up in the microwave! For extra protein add a scoop of protein powder, I make a side of egg whites with mine :)
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'll just add vanilla protein powder to my oatmeal :)
  • amalynd
    amalynd Posts: 2
    Options
    I use the below recipe a lot. I typically will make it in a double batch and then I have enough for 4 days. You can swap out the pumpkin for unsweetened applesauce. It comes out kind of like a cookie dough consistency. I agree with the wood spackle texture if you just add protein powder to your oatmeal, but I have learned if you soak the protein powder with the oats overnight, you don't get that funky texture. Hope this helps!

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-overnight-protein-oatmeal/
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    A little prep on the weekend can make the week run smooth...When I am in the mood, I will cook up a batch (1 cup of dry) steel cut oats, add a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a couple of tablespoons of honey and a scoop of whey protein. 3 cups of water (a little more if you don't like your oatmeal thick.).. then I refrigerate it... as I have time through the week, I will take it out a 1/2 cup microwave it... then add a 1/4 cup mixed berries or a 1/4 cup of crushed walnuts or pecans, then add a 1/4 cup of no fat plain yogurt...

I don't believe in "instant" food... unless I make it all myself :)
  • oniwolf382
    oniwolf382 Posts: 39
    Options
    I buy bulk oatmeal from quaker at SAM's or Costco, make 1/2 cup dry, let near boiling water soak in at my desk, cools off a little, add a scoop of protein powder.
    8lb box of oatmeal and a 5lb container of protein lasts.... 2-3 months, for roughly 1$ a day for breakfast.
  • tikibu23
    tikibu23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like this method. You can add whatever toppings you want!
    http://a-doctor-in-the-house.com/2012/07/20/voluminous-oatmeal/
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I am experimenting with Hodgson Mill Quinoa and Flax. By its lonesome, kinda of bland. However, if one puts Kellogg's low fat granola on it, it gets a whole lot better.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Homemade Instant Oatmeal "Packets" Recipe: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/10/the-secret-to-making-homemade-instant-oatmeal-packets.html

Add a scoop of protein powder and whatever else you want. Voila - high protein instant oatmeal.

ETA: It's important to have a good protein powder that mixes well. Mine tastes absolutely delicious in oatmeal and it doesn't affect the texture at all. If you have crappy protein powder, you're going to have crappy oatmeal.

Hi,
    Could you tell us the brand name of the protein powder you use that mixes well?

Thanks
  • ninav1980
    Options

Please share your secret! I have no powder at all, so I'm open to buying anything