LADIES: your period and working out?

Replies

• 347Gigi
    347Gigi Posts: 99 Member
    You didn't say if you work out at home or the gym. If its usually at the gym, try putting your favorite motivational music on at home and see if it makes you want to move. You could do your workout, or just dance around the house, where you can look and feel as gross and be as grumpy as you want and not worry. The exercise and good music might even make you feel better. Good Luck! Feel Better! :smile:
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    I have always seen the most gains physically and mentally when I make myself get a little uncomfortable and make myself workout when I do not want to. I do listen to my body and have plenty of full rest days and all that, but sometimes you just have to get out there and do it. I also agree with the other members who say exercising can help relieve symptoms.

And, if it doesn't relieve your physical symptoms, then it gives you more calories to eat your cravings without guilt ;)
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    this last month I worked out for the first time on my period, and it actually helped me feel a lot better. Even just a walk or something to get you moving might help!

^^This definitely helps me. I pop a couple of Advil to dull the pain and then start with a walk. If I'm feeling up to it, i turn it into a light jog. Yoga is good, too. I always feel better after than when I start.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I rest on the first day but after that no excuse.. and will work out
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Unless I am feeling bad to the point that I can't be at work, can't play with my kid, etc, then yeah, I do my workouts as planned. If you're an athlete/team member, you can't pick & choose the dates that you train/compete; you can't tell your teammates, "no guys, today I'm not gonna train with you, I'm not gonna be there to support you and spot you & get your back because I really just feel like taking a nap & eating junk food." Obviously if you are truly in pain, truly sick, truly CAN'T do it, then that is one thing, but in that case you better be going to the doctor.

When I switched BC one time, the 1st month was HORRIBLE - I mean I remember being at my desk at work, head on my desk, eyes shut & teeth grinding together, and trying to figure out how to tactfully tell my boss I need to leave (without actually explaining the particulars of the situation - let's face it, that's TMI for a lot of people) and wondering if my doctor could work me in for the day without an advance appointment. If I'm feeling THAT bad, then no I'm not going to the gym. If I'm sick to the point that I have to tell my daughter that she's going to stay with her Nana & Grandpa so that I can sleep & take some meds & I'm worried that I'm contagious and I don't want to get HER sick too, then no, I'm not going to the gym. Otherwise? Maybe reduce volume/intensity or something, dial it back a notch or 2 cause you can't be 100% all of the time, but for the most part it's "suck it up, buttercup" (to be clear, that's me telling that to myself, NOT me trying to being mean to the OP) and "practice like you play" blah blah blah

But that's just my $0.02...as an aside, if you're regular enough that you know your exact start date & when it's the worst etc, why not just arrange your workout schedule (assuming you don't have team responsibilities or anything like that where it's not your choice) so that your "off" days or recovery/light days are your TOM and therefore whether or not you go to the gym is pretty much a non-issue? Just make it less complicated overall?
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    The first two days of my cycle I can barely make it to work, let alone work out. After three days it gets better.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Save your period days for yoga and stretching
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    When I'm on my period (thank you so much for not using the term "TOM"), I work out just as I always do, but I don't have cramps, bloating, aches, etc. If I did have cramps, I'd pop a Midol and work out anyway. I know some women have awful periods, but I think some type of activity would help. Do what you can.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I behave while on my period almost exactly as I would when not.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    I did a 4 hour intensive dance workshop yesterday, and it happened to be the first day of my cycle, which is always the worst for me. I don't let my cramps stop me, because I know that I always feel better after I exercise than I would if I just laid around.
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    I have incredibly debilitating periods. Been back and forth between doctors and hospitals for years but apparently there is nothing wrong with me - that's just how mine are. Mine leave me bedridden, rolling around on the floor in agony, crying, clutching my stomach and vomiting. I skip LIFE around those days, so to hell with the goddamned gym.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Hi all,
    I have my period today (ugh) and I have ZERO motivation to work out. I feel like **** and I can't imagine doing anything other than leaving work and going home to sleep and read. I know this is bad but I'm in pain. Normally id have no problem giving myself one day off, but I was on vacation all of last week and I ate crap and didn't work out almost at all. I don't know what to do. Usually my period leaves me like this for 2-3 days. Also, I will mention that every food makes me want to throw up on my period, so I don't really eat much at all. I need help ladies. What would you/do you/ have you done with dilemmas like this?

Thanks

Rest...that's it, don't feel guilty for some days off, you'll loose nothing don't worry!
  • I have incredibly debilitating periods. Been back and forth between doctors and hospitals for years but apparently there is nothing wrong with me - that's just how mine are. Mine leave me bedridden, rolling around on the floor in agony, crying, clutching my stomach and vomiting. I skip LIFE around those days, so to hell with the goddamned gym.

Please go see a gynecologist if you haven't already, preferably a female doctor who has experience in treating endometriosis and similar pelvic disorders. What you're going through is not even remotely normal and you deserve to be treated properly. My sister has endo, and I probably do too (it's often hereditary). It took almost 3 years for them to take my sister seriously. I was tentatively diagnosed at my first appointment (the only official way to diagnose endo is surgery). Over 5 million women in the US alone have endo, and that's not including all of the women who have been misdiagnosed. There are plenty of other disorders that can cause severe pelvic pain, too. Please please don't give up and accept that this is just "how your periods are." Find a doctor who will take you seriously.
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    I have a moon cup which has eased much of the stress that comes with my period. I get leg pain but I just get on with my work out.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    I have incredibly debilitating periods. Been back and forth between doctors and hospitals for years but apparently there is nothing wrong with me - that's just how mine are. Mine leave me bedridden, rolling around on the floor in agony, crying, clutching my stomach and vomiting. I skip LIFE around those days, so to hell with the goddamned gym.

Please go see a gynecologist if you haven't already, preferably a female doctor who has experience in treating endometriosis and similar pelvic disorders. What you're going through is not even remotely normal and you deserve to be treated properly. My sister has endo, and I probably do too (it's often hereditary). It took almost 3 years for them to take my sister seriously. I was tentatively diagnosed at my first appointment (the only official way to diagnose endo is surgery). Over 5 million women in the US alone have endo, and that's not including all of the women who have been misdiagnosed. There are plenty of other disorders that can cause severe pelvic pain, too. Please please don't give up and accept that this is just "how your periods are." Find a doctor who will take you seriously.
    Second this. I had drop-you-to-your-knees cramps 10-12 years back... Accepted them as "within the range of normal" and went on with things... I was very fortunate that it was only fibroid tumors, something I found out just last year. Those original fibroids were calcified and I was full of newer ones - so much so that they bulged in an unusual place and I was thought to have an abdominal hernia for a couple of years. Had I let it go on longer than I did, I would have had to have open surgery to remove them. "Female problems" don't improve with age.

Re the original question: I found exercise to be good for cramps, but only for cramps. Without a uterus, I no longer have bleeding or cramping. But I still have monthly cycles because I kept my ovaries, and that includes one or two days of headaches, weakness, dizziness, and nausea that make a serious workout pretty unthinkable. On those days, I have no qualms about calling an impromptu rest day. I'll walk if I feel up to it, but that's about it. Bottom line: Do what feels right for you.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Honestly, these posts about girls who don't work out on their periods just seem like excuses to me. If you're really serious about getting in shape then stick with it, no matter what time of the month.
    you took the words out of my mouth. Unless I am dying, throwing up, have horrible diarrhea, and/someone has cut off all my limbs I don't buy "I can't workout...."
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Hi all,
    I have my period today (ugh) and I have ZERO motivation to work out. I feel like **** and I can't imagine doing anything other than leaving work and going home to sleep and read. I know this is bad but I'm in pain. Normally id have no problem giving myself one day off, but I was on vacation all of last week and I ate crap and didn't work out almost at all. I don't know what to do. Usually my period leaves me like this for 2-3 days. Also, I will mention that every food makes me want to throw up on my period, so I don't really eat much at all. I need help ladies. What would you/do you/ have you done with dilemmas like this?

Thanks

I would always listen to your body first. There is no point in passing out at the gym due to lack of energy and no food. Like, you said, Its just 2-3 days a month. Try and work these around as your rest days during this time. Everyones cycle is different with different extremes. I personally have it easy, and it never hinders my workouts. But my sister has a tough cycle. So I can understand the struggle.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I have PCOS, and really painful periods.

Last month I did leg day on the first (worst) day of my cycle. Full squats and deadlifts. I survived =)

However, if I'm vomiting (happens from pain sometimes) I'l stay home to spare the other members.
  • hexabella
    hexabella Posts: 10 Member
    I have pcos. I'm going to workout regardless, because if I'm using it as an excuse that makes men believe they can use it as an excuse to look down on me, or say I'm "delicate". **** ain't happening. As far as period cramps are concerned, I fake it until I make it. I'm not hurting if I'm to tired to think about it.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    If you can, consider birth control. I lost ~8 days a month before birth control. Now I take continuous hormones (no sugar pills) and I'm functional every day, even when I have occasional spotting.