New to MFP

Options
Just started using MFP yesterday. Already I'm learning a lot!

My goal is to lose 50 pounds to improve my overall health. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 1 1/2 yrs ago, as well as having high cholesterol and blood pressure. I really think the majority of my health problems are tied in with being overweight and not eating a proper diet.

I'm about to turn 50 and do not want to spend the rest of my life with a pill box! My goal is to improve my health with weight loss and a better diet and hopefully eliminate some of (would be nice to say all, but the doctor said right now, that's not in the plan) the medications I'm currently taking. (I tallied the pills the other day, and we're talking 70 pills a week!)

I just recently (in about the last month) started taking all this seriously. I'd been a bit rebellious, neglecting taking my meds and not making any dietary changes. I went to the doctors a few months back, and not surprisingly, not one of my medical conditions were improved, and I have no one to blame but me!

My short term goal is set for Sept/Oct when I next see the doc and have some blood work done. I want some phenomenally better numbers than the last ones I had! And I think the key to all of it is better diet and regular exercise. So easy in concept and yet it's been so hard for me!

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking it seriously! I'm 49 and I can tell you that it feels great to be at a healthy weight and healthy. If you want to add me as a friend I'd be happy to cheer you on!
  • shinesun22
    shinesun22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is hard for anyone, you are not alone. :smile:
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is hard for anyone, you are not alone. :smile:

This^^

We are here to support you and I know you will do the same for us. It's great that you are making a decision to make changes in your life/health. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone....feel free to add me. I was taking 5 pills a day and on the verge of adding more, borderline diabetic....a few years ago. Since then, I've turned my life around, lost some weight before MFP and since joining...a total of 45 lbs and have been off all my meds for two years now.

I feel soooo much better and have no regrets....except maybe having waited so long to get serious about it. I'm 55 BTW...

It can be done with drive, dedication and a desire to change. Feel free to add me.