Pants tighter?

Options
This is kind of frustrating. I feel like I've been busting my butt to work out regularly (been trying to get in at least an hour a day every day) doing mostly cardio, and I've been watching my caloric intake, AND drinking water like it's going out of style. I haven't seen a heck of a lot of loss yet (3 lbs total...), but today I tried on a pair of jeans that fit 2 weeks ago, and they seemed TIGHTER. I'm not expecting a miracle in a few weeks by having them LOOSE exactly, but for them to still fit would be nice! Anyone else run into this or know what it is?

Replies

• OUKoala23
    OUKoala23 Posts: 17
    Options
    This is happening to me too! I would like an explanation to this too :( It's super frustrating and discouraging because I'm trying so hard and doing everything right!
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    Did you wash them? My clothes shrink a little when I was them then as the material slackens over half an hour, they are falling off again...
  • Yoshi9143
    Yoshi9143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could very well be gaining muscle in your legs. How long did it take you to lose those 3 lbs? 2lbs a week is healthy depending on your bodyfat %.

Also, I noticed when I take my pants out of the dryer they feel tighter but after a few wears they get super loose and I need a belt again. Another thing I've noticed is my pants get really lose then tighter again because of the muscle (I can confirm this as I have still been losing weight but I do a lot of leg excercises).
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Is it TOM? I gain like crazy right before and during the beginning of it, if not that maybe too much sodium yesterday for you? Chinese food does it to me!!
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    Don't panic! Chances are your muscules are retaining water while they heal from all the little tears and rips that occur with vigurous activity. It will improve with time just keep up the good work! :)
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the idea of muscle building, except they're tighter in the tummy area :(. They were washed, but I'm fairly certain I've worn them SINCE washing them. I have been doing 100 sit ups every night (which I used to do anyway back in my skinnier days...), so maybe there's some muscle forming under the pudginess there, but the negative part of me is feeling like I'm just increasing again :P.
  • janece4684
    janece4684 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thats me too..........I have been at this for 2 months alternating walking on the treadmill and strength training 6 days a week for 60+ minutes. I've only lost 4 lbs. I measured my neck, waist and hips at the beginning and decided to measure again yesturday and discovered that I had lost 1 1/2 inches on my hips, 1 inch from my waist and 1/2 inch from my neck. My jeans feel tighter but I guess that is just the fat I have been converting to muscle. I suggest you use your measurements in addition to monitoring weight lost and see if that is what is going on with you too. Good luck to you in your journey..........Janece
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am in the same boat working out 3x a week and doing Zumba 2x a week, plus the last 10 days I have been staying under my calories and carbs and my clothes are getting tighter, and I forgot to mention I have been sick too and the scale did not move!!! It is so discouraging because it seems the more I do and the more I watch the bigger I get. I keep hearing it takes time well I hope everyone is right. If I do not see even the slightest difference I am going to the doctor to get my thyroid checked because this is def. one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Well good luck to you and keep me posted. Take care.... Danyelle
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You will not really see much difference until you have lost 7 to 14 lbs. Don't dispair could be water retention to or as someone suggested they can "shrink" when you wash them. You need to make sure you have set your goals correctly this can also make a difference as to actual daily intake. Some weeks you may not lose but as long as you don't gain see this as a plus. Keep going and chin up,
  • marysrott
    marysrott Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a soccer player and I work out daily for 1hour doing cardio and 20 mins doing ab exercises I have noticed that doing cardio you build MAJOR leg muscles, so it might seem tighter but it's from building leg muscles and also your abs get slightly worked out which will cause you to get it tighter in ther belly area but your just getting fitter.
  • jimjamtarzan
    Options
    My best friend is a person trainer. He has told me to focus on legs and back which are the biggest muscles to get the most out of your workout. Sit up and crunches etc. are only doing the good worth the effort put in once your body is at its optimum balance of fat vs muscle. My advice is bike at a high resistance for 30 minutes. Do leg presses and pulldowns. Also use the rower.
    It seems to be working for me :)
    Good luck!:D
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It's either water retention, bloating, or your pants shrunk while washing, or you're eating more than you think
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to notice any small reduction in my size! Keep going....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm a soccer player and I work out daily for 1hour doing cardio and 20 mins doing ab exercises I have noticed that doing cardio you build MAJOR leg muscles, so it might seem tighter but it's from building leg muscles and also your abs get slightly worked out which will cause you to get it tighter in ther belly area but your just getting fitter.

workaholics-no.gif

You narco'd a thread for this?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the idea of muscle building, except they're tighter in the tummy area :(. They were washed, but I'm fairly certain I've worn them SINCE washing them. I have been doing 100 sit ups every night (which I used to do anyway back in my skinnier days...), so maybe there's some muscle forming under the pudginess there, but the negative part of me is feeling like I'm just increasing again :P.

You will gain a little bit of muscle in a deficit but I doubt it would be enough to change the fit of your pants. If you have lost 3 lbs, you have probably lost inches somewhere other than where you jeans are. Your muscles MAY be retaining some water (what we like to call 'pump') from your work out.
  • arlojwiley
    arlojwiley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same thing. The last few days, right after cardio, my pants feel much tighter around the belly. It's not a gradual, day-to-day thing, it's something that happens during the workout. Is it just muscles retaining water?