I need to keep motivated after no results!

Options
Hi all - just a little bit about me - I'm 23, male, between 5'10 and 5'11, and "I've always been big" but over the past 6 or 7 years, my weight has ballooned to about 19st 6.

I just started myfitnesspal today and have started tracking but I have been going to the gym between 1 and 3 times a week for the past 5 or 6 weeks or so, mostly doing cardio (trying to push hard and do as close to HIIT as I can atm), but also adding some upper body training for some arm muscle and definition.

When I weighed myself 2 weeks ago, I found I'd lost 5lbs, and I was understandably ecstatic. But I weighed myself yesterday, and found I'd lost barely anything, even though I've been pushing as hard if not harder with workouts and keeping my food intake at a deficit. I know a lot of the stuff is that I'm impatient, and as with a lot of people trying to lose weight, I want it to be off quickly! But I don't know how to keep going, I get so down and despondent when the weight doesn't come off.

Any tips from people who've already managed to lose some weight? I know there are loads of plans, and diets, and workout regimes out there, but I just need some motivation and focus, and basically on how to get through the times when you feel awful! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You're in the right place.

First, no amount of cardio or lifting will make you lose weight if you are not maintaining a calorie deficit. That's why calculating how much you burn each day, and tracking how much you eat, is important. In fact, you can lose weight with a calorie deficit alone, without working out at all.

That being said, exercise is still important for several reasons: It promotes greater strength and endurance, burns calories so that you can eat more, and builds muscle which can increase metabolism and will make you look nicer once you've cut bodyfat.

Second, keep in mind that weight fluctuates. You retain water for various reason, including but not limited to muscle repair after a workout, increased sodium intake, and hormonal fluctuations. Don't freak out when the scale doesn't budge for a few weeks, as long as you know you're doing the right things. Often you'll see a sudden drop of several pounds for no apparent reason after those few weeks.
  • tarinsuchandsuch01
    Options
    Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that you are doing great! In this struggle to lose weight we often forget that we didn't gain the weight in a week so it will take some time and dedication to get it off. There are no quick fixes to what we have done to our bodies. As a male you will drop if you continue on the path that you are on. As a male you will need to increase your lean proteins and have your complex carbs sparingly. Don't give up, you already know what that is like. We should try something new this summer by getting healthy!
  • DomTre1990
    DomTre1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You just started tracking yesterday, Give it some time to decide whether or not you're getting results. Also, 5 lbs (or a little more?) in 5-6 weeks is fine. It's actually ideal. You have results, keep going.
  • bandgeek05
    Options
    Welcome! You're in the right place.

First, no amount of cardio or lifting will make you lose weight if you are not maintaining a calorie deficit. That's why calculating how much you burn each day, and tracking how much you eat, is important. In fact, you can lose weight with a calorie deficit alone, without working out at all.

That being said, exercise is still important for several reasons: It promotes greater strength and endurance, burns calories so that you can eat more, and builds muscle which can increase metabolism and will make you look nicer once you've cut bodyfat.

Second, keep in mind that weight fluctuates. You retain water for various reason, including but not limited to muscle repair after a workout, increased sodium intake, and hormonal fluctuations. Don't freak out when the scale doesn't budge for a few weeks, as long as you know you're doing the right things. Often you'll see a sudden drop of several pounds for no apparent reason after those few weeks.

I was wondering that myself. I was getting so frustrated with myself on why I gained a pound in the last week. I didn't realize it would take a while to fix...
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds sexist but just be glad you're a guy. Weight/resistance training is the answer. Our culture turns women away from the weight room and it sucks. Those that do lift spend the entire time being ogled by meatheads, but I digress. First you have to decide what your goals are. 5'11 196 doesn't sound that bad depending on your build. Do you just want to lose weight? Do you want to gain muscle? Both? Not sure?

You have to make fitness part of your routine. You should get to the point where it feels weird to go more than a day or two without some sort of exercise. Like wise for eating. Resign yourself to never, ever drinking soda ever again for example. I'm not suggesting full on neurotic behavior but in order for it to work it has to become part of who you are.

Everyone can lose weight. Especially at 23, you're full of testosterone, you're heart beats like a bass drum and your metabolism is as efficient as it's ever going to be. The trick is keeping the weight off or keeping the muscle on. That's going to require some lifestyle changes. I'm pretty new here but there are a lot of forums dedicated to getting in shape. Of course there's the infamous bodybuilding.com. I'd buy a book or two about fitness if you have the attention span. If you're just starting out you're brain is full of fitness myths (Like cardio is the best way to lose weight) You'll waste more time learning these things the hard way than taking 30-60 days and reading some books. My favorite is "the body sculpting bible for men", but I'm sure there are others. Ask around. See what works for you.

For now I would just get used to watching what you eat and exercising. Try to start liking the taste of things like veggies, nuts and oatmeal. Get your friends used to seeing you with meal replacement shakes/bars. Try to lay off the alcohol if that's a thing for you. Find a workout schedule that you can stick to. Don't worry about progress as much as lifestyle changes. Working out is a science. Just like you wouldn't expect to be good at chemistry after one class you're not going to be efficient at fitness your first month at the gym. If you're impatient I would definitely start researching now though, believe it or not that's the quickest way to see results.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Get over it.

Why?

Because at some point, you will realize that eating well and exercising need to be a part of your life if you want to STAY fit. At this point, you are NOT GAINING weight, which I'm guessing your previous trend was gaining. So you've done that.

There is a thread on here called NSVs - non scale victories. These threads exist for those of us who may not have lost huge amounts of weight yet, but who've gotten healthier, feel better, have things to celebrate when we've been working hard and the scale didn't get the memo.
  • Marnie102
    Marnie102 Posts: 13
    Options
    I get that way sometimes now that I have lost 40 lbs.
    I keep on eating right and changing up my exercise routines daily.
    I know that it can be frustrating. I am almost 60 and it is really hard to lose the weight. But don't give up. We are all feeling it.
    I don't lose weight fast anymore but I am losing inches. That is more important to me than weight. I am building muscle and trimming fat.
    I don't decrease my food because I am eating right. I need my carbs to be able to burn them exercising. I try to eat lots of the non starching carbs and less of the starchy ones. Being female, I eat about 100 to150 carbs a day and my husband eats about 225 to 265 carbs a day. He lost 50 lbs eating good carbs in 5 months. I lost 40 in 7 months. I try not to think about how long it took because I am too busy having fun being active. The more active i am, the better i feel. Feeling good is what keeps me going.
  • 5humpd01
    5humpd01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey

Definitely don't beat yourself up over maintaining weight! You are still at the beginning of a great journey and there are many bumps along the road as found by most people on here. An important thing to remember is that you are at a point with your training where you are going to be getting some serious adaptations. Your cardiovascular fitness will be gaining with each session, you muscles will be gaining in size and strength, there are more chemical reactions firing off helping you to reach your goals.

A big thing to remember is that muscle mass. You may have only been doing little bits of strength training but that is doing two things adding weight but also building up your metabolism. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolism, the more energy you are burning. Your body fat levels are more than likely have dropped and your muscle mass has increased even from your cardio work. Your body composition will be changing even if you can't see it on a daily basis in the mirror.

Stick with it and you will get there. Be patient it's all about baby steps for long term loss.
  • DomTre1990
    DomTre1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you, 5humpd01