Can't lose weight

Options
Okay, so I started trying to lose weight, with calorie counting and exercising but not with MFP, in 2012. I was 143 and 5'2". By spring of that year I was down to about 133.

Then I steadily started gaining, and by 2014 I was back to 143. Now, halfway through the year, I'm back onto calorie counting and exercising, but I still am only 140. I don't even want to lose that much weight, my goal is 135, but NOTHING I do works. I eat healthy, except for maybe a treat or two a week, and I exercise at the very least 4 times a week. I eat around 1500 calories a day, maybe 1800 one day out of the week.

I went to my doctor and got a blood test done for hypothyroidism just to make sure I don't have it, and I don't.

I know I haven't gained muscle weight because all of my measurements have stayed the same.

I'm just getting really discouraged because literally nothing I do makes any change, but if I stop making these efforts I end up gaining weight. I only seem to maintain when I try to lose.

I sleep 7-8 hours every night, I've been drinking more water lately, I do a mix of cardio and strength exercises, I eat my recommended servings of fruits and vegetables and proteins evereday; it seems like I'm doing everything, but nothing is changing!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your calorie intake? Are you using a food scale?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Are you logging what you eat? Are you accurately measuring everything using a food scale?
  • princesslibrarian
    Options
    I don't use a food scale. I mostly use the Lose It! app but I started using MFP because a friend recommended it. I just go off the calories that it says the food has. And I scan the bar codes of packaged foods.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You're underestimating the calories you're eating and/or overestimating the calories you're burning.

Try adjusting your target calories downward.
  • princesslibrarian
    Options
    So how do you correctly estimate them? Does a food scale necessarily guarantee accurate calorie counting? And then how would I do that for exercise?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    What did you set as your weekly goal? Since you're close to goal weight, set it at 1/2 pound per week and see how that works.

Do you eat exercise calories back? If so, try eating only half of them back, as the exercise calories may be estimated too high.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You'll never get your estimates, best to do is be consistently inaccurate, because it's all about the trend over time.
    So that's why I say adjust your calorie target downward. You think you're hitting it now, but you're not losing weight, so clearly the math is wrong. So pick a lower target, than regardless of accuracy issues you'll still be aiming for a lower number.
  • princesslibrarian
    Options
    My limit is currently set to half a pound a week.
  • princesslibrarian
    Options
    Okay I will try. Thanks.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised at how much the actually food weighs compared to what it's supposed to weigh, (as it says on the packaging).
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes get a food scale. And make sure you're being 100% honest with your logging. No sneaking bite or treats here or there.

And be patient. 1/2 a pound a week might not always show up on the scale with fluctuations that occur.

Eat back 50% of your workout calories! as they are often overestimated.

Open up your diary if you want more advice,
  • princesslibrarian
    Options
    Although my measurements are probably not accurate, I do log everything I eat. I don't leave out sweets and stuff, I log them.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Although my measurements are probably not accurate, I do log everything I eat. I don't leave out sweets and stuff, I log them.

Then you can't really say "I can't lose weight" fairly. If you KNOW you're not logging accurately, then we can assume you're eating at maintenance, not a deficit.

Fix the issue, and you'll start losing, Then you can start a topic that says, "hey, I CAN lose weight!"
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    So how do you correctly estimate them? Does a food scale necessarily guarantee accurate calorie counting? And then how would I do that for exercise?

Weighing the food is always more accurate than eyeballing or using measuring cups and spoons. So for example, if the serving size on the package says 1/4 cup (28g), weigh it out to make sure you're only getting 28 grams. Cup measurements are often off based on how loosely or densely the item is packed in the cup, so just weigh it out to be consistent.

MFP tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise, so I usually eat 1/2 to 3/4 of them.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Weighing the food is always more accurate than eyeballing or using measuring cups and spoons. So for example, if the serving size on the package says 1/4 cup (28g), weigh it out to make sure you're only getting 28 grams. Cup measurements are often off based on how loosely or densely the item is packed in the cup, so just weigh it out to be consistent.

MFP tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise, so I usually eat 1/2 to 3/4 of them.

This. Even packaged food can be wildly off on weight. You might have a piece of bread which says a serving is 2 slices (100g) but when you weigh two slices it might actually be 150 grams, which would make it 1.5 servings, along with having the calories of 1.5 servings.