IIFYM??

Options
How do you do IIFYM for weight loss?

What's your experience with it? What exercise did you do? What food were your staples? Any supplements?

I used a calculator which puts my calories at 1811/day, 145.2g carbs, 147 g. protein, 58.6g fats, 29-37g fiber.

I am 22, 5'7, 146 lbs - crossfitter and long distance runner - looking to lose some weight and see better muscle definition.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is not a website or a plan or whatever...it's simply a concept that avoids the demonization of certain foods, groups of foods, and macro nutrients. It was a concept coined on bodybuilding.com whereby people would post comments like, "can I eat oatmeal or will it ruin my gainz brah?"...to which the reply was, IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros).

The concept has been well bastardized over time and was never intended to be an "eat whatever you want" kind of thing that it has basically turned into...the concept generally allowed for a smattering of "junk" so long as IIFYM while the bulk of the diet (noun) was nutrition driven, but still macro focused.

A typical and well balanced macro ratio for general purposes is 40c/30p/30f. There is no singular definitive macro ratio however...given that the concept was largely driven by fitness and namely bodybuilding, you will see a lot of macro ratios heavily favoring protein. However, an endurance athlete would need an entirely different macro ratio to optimize his or her performance.

TL/DR - IIFYM basically means to set up a reasonable macro ratio for your goals...hit those goals along with your calorie goals while primarily eating a lot of nutritious foods, but not the the extent of being fearful of certain food, food groups, or macro nutrients. In other words, eat a well balanced diet consisting of a variety of foods, hit your goals, rock your fitness, and win.
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    The first time I saw the acronym IIFYM on these forums, I tried to figure it out and came up with, "In It For Your Money." But that didn't make sense.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I though it meant If It Fits'in Yo Mouth.
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have been looking and semi following it and LOVE IT!!! I will say honestly I havent stuck to it in the past few weeks- but when I was sticking to it I felt a difference after a few days and could see a change in my body. And you eat what fit, there is room for 'junk'
    there is a iifym womans group on facebook that Im part of maybe check it out!