People that eat one meal a day.

Options
For the people on here that have one meal a day (if there are any), what are the things that you eat? Is it always something new, or do you have certain meals you stick to? Why do you eat once a day? Do you eat anything else before or after your big meal? I currently eat twice a day and think the one meal a day idea seems interesting, and am just curious.

Replies

• toloseme
    toloseme Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Normally I only eat one meal per day. I eat different meals each day - but it's almost always dinner/supper time that I eat at. I do it because often times if I eat more than one meal per day, I get sick to my stomach - and have since I had my gallbladder out. I usually eat whatever I happen to fix for dinner. LOL

Lately I've been feeling a bit better and so I've been eating two meals and a snack, but I'm sure pretty soon it will go back down to one meal, it usually does. :P
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My body "wants" two huge meals a day about 2 hours apart. I don't want to be that fat. When not dieting, I still gain weight on one huge meal per day, so to maintain, I will still only be halfway-full. But I'd rather be halfway-full once a day, than eat several smaller meals and be starving all the time. Plus once I begin eating, I am hungry the rest of the day; more so than if I wait to eat. I am dieting now and have been eating 2 meals/day late in the day close together.
  • pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat 1MAD and eat whatever I want within my calorie goal. I usually eat at 3pm, but move the time up and down to meet my social needs. I eat once a day because I find it easier to control calories. Less likely to go over calorie intake. I like not having to plan so many meals and snacks and constantly be thinking about food. In my opinion it also gives my body a chance to rest from constant digestion of food. There are those that believe it has many health benefits. Love having 1 meal that satisfies me rather than several small meals. I do not eat before or after my eating window, not a bite. Eating this way has stopped my binging and over eating. I have been eating this way almost 3 mos and eating one meal a day has also given me control over food and eating (a psychological thing ). Make no mistake about intermittent fasting, no matter what eating window you chose, it's still calories in vs calories out if you are trying to lose weight. There is an intermittent fasting group you might find useful on MFP.
  • gr8dane
    gr8dane Posts: 2
    Options
    What pattyebricker said! One meal a day has been the only way I can truly control my cravings and bad habits without feeling restricted. It works a lot better for me to control WHEN I eat rather than WHAT I eat, so no foods are off-limits (except "dessert foods becayse I want to cut down on processed sugar). I just eat a regular-sized meal and call it a day. This works so well because after eating one meal a day, your body craves the nutrients it needs (at least in my experience). It just feel natural to choose salad over fries and things like that because my body wants wholesome nutrition and real food. Not to mention. I just started a 90-day challenge to get back to this eating as a lifestyle change. My fiance has been eating this way for 18 years and he is in the best shape!!! It's nice to have someone at home who can motivate me to follow the lifestyle.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My body "wants" two huge meals a day about 2 hours apart. I don't want to be that fat. When not dieting, I still gain weight on one huge meal per day, so to maintain, I will still only be halfway-full. But I'd rather be halfway-full once a day, than eat several smaller meals and be starving all the time. Plus once I begin eating, I am hungry the rest of the day; more so than if I wait to eat. I am dieting now and have been eating 2 meals/day late in the day close together.

OMG. I just looked at your diary. No wonder you're starving all the time! <700 calories a day! That's fewer than the average two-year-old needs! I get that you're small, older, and a woman... but you're seriously doing your poor body a disservice eating that little. Have you had your RMR/BMR measured professionally? If you haven't, but you still think you need to eat <700 calories a day to lose, you need to go and find out what it actually it. The formulas estimate a BMR of 1,100 and a TDEE between 1,300 and 2,100 calories a day. With so little to lose, you shouldn't be going more than 20% below your TDEE (1,050 - 1,700) and even that is pretty aggressive.

If you insist that you need to be below those numbers, you really should consult with a Dr. for a full metabolic workup to make sure.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

He's right. I'm afraid you're not eating nearly enough. You're the same height that I am, and I eat literally twice that much. I know that everyone is different, but the basic laws of thermodynamics do not bend to having one of us burn half as much as the other during the day unless you have a medical issue causing a slow metabolism. Have you checked with a doctor about this?
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Eating only one meal per day is the worst thing you can do when trying to lose weight! It is suggested that you eat several "mini-meals" per day instead. That keeps you from being so hungry, keeps your blood sugar levels even, and keeps your metabolism going all day. If you eat only once, your metabolism starts to slow down when there is no food to burn.

Medical fact. :smile:
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Eating only one meal per day is the worst thing you can do when trying to lose weight! It is suggested that you eat several "mini-meals" per day instead. That keeps you from being so hungry, keeps your blood sugar levels even, and keeps your metabolism going all day. If you eat only once, your metabolism starts to slow down when there is no food to burn.

Unless you have a medical condition, meal timing and the number of meals per day is entirely personal preference.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical condition, meal timing and the number of meals per day is entirely personal preference.

NO it is not.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Actually, NOT a medical fact. Just because you say so doesn't make it so. It's actually been debunked.

P.S. Your metabolism will go all day anyways. If it didn't, you'd be dead.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

NO it is not.

YES it IS.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat 1MAD and eat whatever I want within my calorie goal. I usually eat at 3pm, but move the time up and down to meet my social needs. I eat once a day because I find it easier to control calories. Less likely to go over calorie intake. I like not having to plan so many meals and snacks and constantly be thinking about food. In my opinion it also gives my body a chance to rest from constant digestion of food. There are those that believe it has many health benefits. Love having 1 meal that satisfies me rather than several small meals. I do not eat before or after my eating window, not a bite. Eating this way has stopped my binging and over eating. I have been eating this way almost 3 mos and eating one meal a day has also given me control over food and eating (a psychological thing ). Make no mistake about intermittent fasting, no matter what eating window you chose, it's still calories in vs calories out if you are trying to lose weight. There is an intermittent fasting group you might find useful on MFP.

This is how I feel too! No binges with one LARGE meal and I feel satisfied! Lots of little small meals make me hungry and obsessing about food!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

NO it is not.
    Yes it is. Stop spreading ignorance.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

NO it is not.

Yeah it is
  • ericasmith56679
    Options
    Unfortunately i use to do one large meal per day the trouble with this was my body was storing fat in case something happened and i couldn't get food but ... yeah it caused me to gain about 35 pounds i am just now getting my meals balanced out i also now have diabetes which really isn't fun. my nutritionist said to eat 3 to 5 times a day meals between 30 and 70 carbs... snacks 0 to 30 carbs so far it has dropped me from 337 to 317 and i am having a few more good days . of course that is just me but i would see a nutritionist before making huge changes to your diet
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

NO it is not.

Yeah it is

NO ITS NOT!!

Wait, what are we doing?
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    When I eat one meal a day, it's usually lutefisk.

Because once you've enjoyed a slimy helping of well aged lye soaked codfish, you're really done eating for a while...
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options

This is crazy and so NOT true, far from a 'medical fact'!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me the answer to the argument is - it depends. Science research indicates that to get maximum benefit from exercise it is best to eat certain stuff at certain times - like carbs within half hr and protein within 4 hrs (the half hr time for this seems to be not so true for most people). Again for me I don't understand why you would want to only eat one meal a day though. My blood sugar goes wonky if I don't eat regularly and I get grumpy and crave ****ty stuff. This is just me of course but I know at least some other people are the same as me :-) I think as well it would be harder to hit my macros by just eating one meal a day. I am sure you can if you plan but spreading what I eat means I get a wider variety of food and it does help with my macro targets. This is my experience anyway :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

NO it is not.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Study links posted within.