Still don't quite understand NET calories, can someone help?

So, would someone mind just telling me in as much detail as possible about where my net calories are supposed to be per day and why? I have looked into this but for some reason this is just one of those things that I don't fully understand, mostly because of the confusion about differing opinions on where it's supposed to be.

Originally I thought that to lose weight I needed to have zero-to-negative net calories each day. But then I started hearing that that is unhealthy and that you needed to always have positive net calories, just not extremely high. Today, for example, my net calories after exercise are around 230.

What does this mean for me, and is this what I should be shooting for each day? If so, then can someone explain why they say that to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat? (WELL, I know why so you don't have to go into detail on that but, what I mean to say I guess is, are you supposed to be positive on here because MFP already takes into account the calories you burn each day without trying/just through basic metabolic functions and minimal activity?)

Thanks!

Replies

• fithannafit
    fithannafit Posts: 50
    Hey doll!

First off your NET calories should NEVER be below 0 and in my opinion never even below 1200. Your NET depends on your BMR and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). For example:

My BMR is 1504. If I stayed in bed all day and did NOTHING I would burn 1504 calories.
    Obviously I don't do that. Now I don't have a very active lifestyle (other than my workouts) because I only work one day a week so I guess I burn about 1800 calories on a day just from walking, shopping, eating, going out with friends etc. I went to this website (http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html#) and I chose sedentary because I wanted to know how much I burn not including my workouts. Depending on how much you move around each day you will choose your activity level. Say I worked every day at my job (bussing tables) for 6 hours every day... then I would choose moderately active or very active.

I want a 500 calorie deficit so I subtract 500 calories from what I burn each day (1800-500=1300) and I get my daily NET goal. This way no matter how much I workout I can eat back those calories and end up with a 500 calorie deficit every day. On a day where I don't workout at all I eat 1300 calories. On days I burn say 600 calories I get to eat 1900!

If you have any questions, let me know. This is of course just what I have figured and what I do and may not be particularly right but it's been working for me so far so I thought I'd share ;)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Net calories is very simple. Calories eaten minus calories burned. (BMR + exercise).

The calorie goal here is for net calories. Any exercise you do that burns calories is automatically added back to what calories you can eat to maintain the net calorie goal.
  • Thank you very much! I am now looking into what my TDEE and BMR is :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Net calories is very simple. Calories eaten minus calories burned. (BMR + exercise).
    This is wrong. It's TDEE plus exercise.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member

I was trying to keep it simple for her. Regardless, NET CALORIES is still calories eaten minus calories burned.
  • Care3ear
    Care3ear Posts: 3
    Net cals has always confused me too.....But what's the point of excercising if u eat the calories back that u burn off,and if my cal intake is 1400/then should my net cals be 1400 @ the end of or some where close to that number
  • Amarelia
    Amarelia Posts: 8
    Alright, I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding this as well.

For example, today I consumed 1450 calories, but burnt 661 calories, leaving me a net of 789.

If my goal is 1,600 calories, then I can consume 200 more or is it another 800?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    you got it, although personally i don't usually eat back all my exercise calories. btw, MFP and many other online calcs and also activity trackers can go over on calorie burn - some way over. it's safest to always figure the burned calories are on the high side.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Net is what's left when you subtract what you burn in exercise from what you've eaten.

My doctor says to ignore net calories and only worry about actual calories eaten.
    Treat any burned off in exercise as a bonus toward weight loss.
    If I'm really hungry at the end of the day I'll eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of what I burned that day, but it's not a regular thing.

If your goal weight is 150 lb, eat 1500 cal per day (10x weight) & you'll get there.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding this as well.
    For example, today I consumed 1450 calories, but burnt 661 calories, leaving me a net of 789.
    If my goal is 1,600 calories, then I can consume 200 more or is it another 800?
    150 left, enough for a cup of nonfat yogurt & a piece of fruit.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member

I don't think thats right either, actually.