Does anybody juice?

13»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Seriously?
    You thought juicing was illegal?

Anyway as I mentioned upthread you can juice many fruits with skin on, things like apples, peaches, carrots etc, in fact probably any skin you would eat if eating the fruit whole.
    You don't have to peel the fruit/veg and miss out on the fibre, just because you are juicing it.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Seriously?
    You thought juicing was illegal?

Anyway as I mentioned upthread you can juice many fruits with skin on, things like apples, peaches, carrots etc, in fact probably any skin you would eat if eating the fruit whole.
    You don't have to peel the fruit/veg and miss out on the fibre, just because you are juicing it.

I think the guy above meant juicing as in taking steroids. I've heard the term"juicing" in relation to that before.

I have contemplated doing something with the pulp, and as nice as it smells (especially when juicing with lemons) it just looks too gross to eat!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    oh, ok - Ive never heard juicing used as other than the literal term.

I thought his comment didn't make sense :laugh:
  • I try to juice everyday not as a meal replacement but as a helpful way to get in all the vegetables I need for the day. I totally agree with your experience that they are quite energizing for about an hour but afterwards I am hungry, hence not using them as a meal replacement. Also I've found that it you load up your juices with more fruit than veggies that can also lead to a sugar crash (they just taste so good that way).
    My fave combinations are apple/celery, kale/ginger/lemon, watermelon/lime/kale, red cabbage/pear/mint. Also check out the menus of area juice bars or juice cleanse sites. I've found a lot of good recipe ideas on those.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    I just started this week. I was going to do lunch and breakfast, but have since decided maybe just breakfast is good. Ive juiced 50 $ worth of produce in 3 days, and I'm sending most of it to the garbage as pulp. I like it, especially green with lots of kale and a lemon,but theres no way I could do it full time.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    I did a 10 day juice fast at the start of the year, and plan to do a three day one next week. I just like the energy but cleaning my juicer gets boring real quick! I try to have juices as part of my diet when I can too.

As for ideas, jut look up recipes. For my fasts I use the plans at rebootwithjoe.com but there's HEAPS of recipes there that should help you try out different ingredients.
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    I also associate canker sores and other mouth sores with having too much acid in the diet. Were you juicing mostly fruits instead of veggies?
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Parsley is strong but really good for us. Just use the equivalent of about 1/4 of the size of a bunch you'd buy in the store to start to try it out. :flowerforyou:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Yes I love juicing with my girl. We try to juice as much as we can, we feel so refreshed after we juiced. Before going to bed it's the best moment, after a long day.

We like though changing the staple otherwise it becomes boring. Hers are always better than mine.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Yes I love juicing with my girl. We try to juice as much as we can, we feel so refreshed after we juiced. Before going to bed it's the best moment, after a long day.

We like though changing the staple otherwise it becomes boring. Hers are always better than mine.

I feel oddly warm n fuzzy now:embarassed:
  • rossraskolnikov
    rossraskolnikov Posts: 29 Member
    Let me state first that I am not a rep for any company just so you don't get the wrong idea. I used to juice all the time but my wife and I just spent so much time peeling veggies and then much time scrubbing the juicer when we were done it took the fun out of juicing.

So we discovered a company that has carrot, beet, barley, pea protein in powder format and we put in with water in our magic bullet and viola we have juice. 1 minute to clean and rinse and we are done. While I prefer to drink real juice from a juicer, I haven't seen one that is easy to clean and we've had 3 of them.
    The nutribullet and its accompanying cups rinse clean pretty easily (providing you don't leave it in all day).
  • bonniesl33
    bonniesl33 Posts: 1 Member
    I have been making my own fruit smoothies and using them for breakfast but the calorie and sugar content concerns me because it's so high ( around 400 calories) should I carry on with this or go back to cereal based breakfasts ??
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    I also associate canker sores and other mouth sores with having too much acid in the diet. Were you juicing mostly fruits instead of veggies?

I was juicing mostly kale, ginger, cucumbers and then one piece of fruit (apple usually) or beets for sweetness. Couldn't find any 'reason' for the cold sore outbreaks related to juicing in any research I did, but it sure did happen to me :(
  • rossraskolnikov
    rossraskolnikov Posts: 29 Member
    I have been making my own fruit smoothies and using them for breakfast but the calorie and sugar content concerns me because it's so high ( around 400 calories) should I carry on with this or go back to cereal based breakfasts ??
    Processed cereals probably have more sugar, and refined sugar at that.

Most fruits are around 40-50cals per 100g, so you must be putting in an awful lot of fruit!
  • _EndGame_
    Been juicing now for about 3 weeks, just sticking to juicing for breakfast.

I use carrots in ALL my juices - I read on multiple health & fitness sites that carrots are deemed a "superfood" and you can't have too many carrots.

I like to use mainly fruits, though. I have bought some kale, which I'm going to try out tomorrow, but I tend to stick with apples, pears, lemons, limes, pineapples, strawberries, oranges and carrots. I did try one with celery, but I found it left a nasty after taste in my mouth.

I do need to expand my juicing ingredients, as someone mentioned before, using lots of fruits means lots of sugar, but I was under the assumption that sugar from fruits is different to processed sugars? Not sure if that's right - I'm not a nutritionist, but what I do know is juicing in a morning gives me TONS of energy compared to eating cereal, eggs, bread - whatever.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, guys - really appreciate it!
  • _EndGame_
    Also going to try some mint. I did consider using cucumbers, but, idk, I don't like cucumber by itself and I find that it makes everything else taste of cucumber, so quite hesitant about using them!
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    I'm sorry if you listed it and i missed it but the most important juice of all is wheatgrass juice. You need a special compression juicer to make it. Regular veg juicers won't work. Or you can buy it already juiced fresh, and many places. which is easier.

I don't juice i think they are wasteful, but in the film fat, sick, and nearly dead, the author loses a ton of weight and cures a health problem by living on juices. you should watch it if you haven't already. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/
  • _EndGame_
    Yeah, I have watched fat, sick and nearly dead - it was one of the key reasons behind me starting to juice.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    I have not tried juicing yet but now I am very interested thanks for posting this thread and the responses :)

203lbs lost, that's amazing, btw!

Yeah, give it a try! You must be in the same boat as me, now I've lost 135lbs just by keeping a deficit and starting swimming, I'm looking at new methods to shake some extra lbs!

203lbs & 135lbs lost are both amazing......both of you are amazing.....thanks for the motivation!