need advice! I wanna make sure im doing everything right

Options
My bmr i:sad: s 1842 how many calories should I eat and how many should I Burn through exercise each day? Mfp suggests I eat 1230 to loose two pounds a week.. I had someone say I should be on a 1400 I'm so confused ive been burning 300-400 calories with exercise each day.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My bmr ids 1842 how many calories should I eat and how many should I Burn through exercise each day? Mfp suggests I eat 1230 to loose two pounds a week.. I had someone day I should be on a 1400 I'm so confused ive bf been buring 300-400 calories wiwith exercise each day.

How much weight do you want to lose? 2lbs per week is very aggressive unless you have a large amount to lose.
  • carsynsmommy05
    carsynsmommy05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Id like to loose at least 50lbs im at 230 atm gained 60 during my pregnancy a year ago
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Any day under your TDE is a win.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Set your goal to 1.5 lb. per week and eat back your exercise calories for several weeks. Then reevaluate.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • 126siany
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Set your goal to 1.5 lb. per week and eat back your exercise calories for several weeks. Then reevaluate.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'd agree with this. When I lost 42 lbs here a few years ago, I had it set to 1 lb per week, ate my exercise calories and lost 2lbs per week for a long time. Eventually I adjusted the settings. ;)
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options
    Im sorry Im very new to this what is a tde? Just joined yesterday. .
  • 126siany
    Options
    Im sorry Im very new to this what is a tde? Just joined yesterday. .

It's usually TDEE, which stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's another way to calculate how much to eat. Basically it means that as long as you eat fewer calories than you burn each day, you will lose weight.
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options
    So if I est 1230 a day and burn 300 through exercise I should be fine? I should eat an extra 300? What if I don't eat 1230 and still burn 300 should I Still eat those back? Uugh my apologies this is confusing for me lol
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options
    I guess a better way to put it is if I stay at 1230 calories per day and burn 300 should it be successful or should I burn more
  • 126siany
    Options
    So if I est 1230 a day and burn 300 through exercise I should be fine? I should eat an extra 300? What if I don't eat 1230 and still burn 300 should I Still eat those back? Uugh my apologies this is confusing for me lol

Don't worry, it confuses many people at first!

I would change your settings to aim for 1 or 1.5 pounds per week.

MFP has already calculated your calories to create a deficit without any exercise. MFP also wants you to maintain a consistent calorie deficit whether or not you exercise, so it wants you to eat the exercise calories you log.

So you'd lose weight at the 1230 with no exercise. You'd lose lose weight at 1230 + eating the 300 exercise calories as well.

Does that make sense?
  • lcangelini
    lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to eat and exercise an amount that you can stick too. If you're too aggressive it's a lot harder to maintain later on. If eating 1230 calories and exercising is completely doable for you then perfect! Ideally you wanna adapt a healthier lifestyle that you can stick too so that you don't put the weight back on.
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options

Don't worry, it confuses many people at first!

I would change your settings to aim for 1 or 1.5 pounds per week.

MFP has already calculated your calories to create a deficit without any exercise. MFP also wants you to maintain a consistent calorie deficit whether or not you exercise, so it wants you to eat the exercise calories you log.

So you'd lose weight at the 1230 with no exercise. You'd lose lose weight at 1230 + eating the 300 exercise calories as well.

Does that make sense?
  • lcangelini
    Options
    I guess a better way to put it is if I stay at 1230 calories per day and burn 300 should it be successful or should I burn more

Yes. That's around what i'm doing a day and I'm losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week :)
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options
    Oops^^ lol ok so basically as long as I stay within my goal calories everyday exercise or not I should loose weight. But if I exercise as well I can still eat those calories back without worries .. so im doing good then.
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options
    Awesome thank you so much I was starting to feel very un motivated with all the confusion!
  • 126siany
    Options

Yes. That's around what i'm doing a day and I'm losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week :)

You can do whatever you like, however, there are a few potential issues with this. You are increasing your calorie deficit through exercise; your net calories for the day in this example are only 930 (assuming you aren't eating the exercise calories--no mention of eating them in this example).

That's dangerous territory. When you create that large a calorie deficit, over time you are going to be tired, grumpy, hungry, get sick more easily. lose more muscle than people eating at a more reasonable deficit, probably get injured and eventually give up because this is not sustainable for people who don't have an eating disorder.
  • 126siany
    Options
    Oops^^ lol ok so basically as long as I stay within my goal calories everyday exercise or not I should loose weight. But if I exercise as well I can still eat those calories back without worries .. so im doing good then.

Yes, exactly! You got it! :flowerforyou:
  • carsynsmommy05
    Options
    How much have you all lost uding mfp and how long did it take?
  • lcangelini
    Options

Yep! :)
  • lcangelini
    Options
    How much have you all lost uding mfp and how long did it take?

I don't know the exact number but I THINK I was around 152-153lbs around mid-May of this year. Now I'm at 137lbs. So about 15lbs 2 months.