need advice! I wanna make sure im doing everything right

Options
2»

Replies

• FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, I really don't suggest eating 1200 ish calories to lose weight. Honestly, it's just not necessary. You want to eat as much as you can while losing weight. If you're eating 1200 and you start to plateau and the weight loss stalls, you have nothing left to cut. And, being hungry sucks. I suggest using this website - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Calculate your TDEE, eat 20% less than that and don't eat back workout calories.. that's factored in to your number.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How much have you all lost uding mfp and how long did it take?

A few years ago I lost 42 lbs and if I recall correctly, that was from late March to early August? Right around 5 months. For most of that time I ate all (or at least 2/3) of my exercise calories. (I'm back now because I got lazy and gained 15 of them back.)

I'd recommend a food scale if you don't have one. Accurately measuring what you're eating makes all of this easier and you can't really do that without a food scale.

I'd also recommend that you aim for 1 or 2 changes at a time. Adding vegetables or cutting out a junk food item--whatever. Try to make one healthy change per week, and then the next week make another one, etc. It's a lot easier than changing everything at once!
  • newlooknewme2014
    newlooknewme2014 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't know if you're still confused, but I found this article very helpful to explain the whole Calorie deficit thing!

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/

I personally, started with the higher amount of calories and gradually lowered it over time. It's a real shock to your current diet habits to just drop calories so drastically and I would think causes us to get discourage if we can't keep to it. What you're doing currently sounds pretty good! You can either burn your calories or eat less, but if you do both just be careful and make sure you're hitting that minimum 1,050-1,200 calories that we need just to function! :) Hope this helps ^_^

Add me if you wish. Glad to support your journey!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    BMR, BMI, TDEE - they're all approximate, and reality can vary a lot depending on your body fat %.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For the goal you described:
    Eat as much as you want but make sure you end up with 1230 at the end of the day.
    Like if you ate 1930 calories you would need to burn off 700 calories, to bring the net calories to 1230 for the end of day.
    Make sure you dont exercise below 1230 calories unless you eat more to raise it back up to 1230.
    If you burn off or eat less than 1230 you will get crazy hungry and its not healthy.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    How much have you all lost uding mfp and how long did it take?
    I started in the middle of March and I've lost 23 pounds, I'm set to lose 1 pound per week, and I don't exercise consistently but my job is pretty active. I agree with the other poster that you shouldn't try to change everything at once or be too hard on yourself, think of this as a life change, not a diet. You don't want to lose the weight and not be prepared to keep it off with good habits going forward. Best of luck to you, add me as a friend if you want
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My bmr is 1842 how many calories should I eat and how many should I Burn through exercise each day? Mfp suggests I eat 1230 to loose two pounds a week.. I had someone say I should be on a 1400 I'm so confused ive been burning 300-400 calories with exercise each day.
    I did a blog post about goal-setting, including healthy goal weight and calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/setting-goals-667045

For a rough estimate, this is what my doctor & dietician use:
    1 - find your healthy goal weight using a BMI table. http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    To start with, use the highest weight in the green range as your goal.
    Multiply that by 10 & there's your calorie goal.

2 - If you're very overweight, and using method #1 would be more than a 1000 cal drop (from your current weight x 10), subtract 1000 from your current intake. [Don't go below 1200.] That would be 2 pounds per week lost. As you lose weight, nudge your calories down until you get to the goal weight x 10.

My doctor says to ignore net calories and only worry about actual calories eaten.
    Treat any burned off in exercise as a bonus toward weight loss.
    If I'm really hungry at the end of the day I'll eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of what I burned that day, but it's not a regular thing.