NET Calories? I'm confused

I'm going to use today as an example:

Today I ate 1450 calories and burnt 661 leaving me with a net of 789. My goal is 1,600.

Would I eat another 800 calories to make up the difference, or am I only supposed to have 200 more calories? I am slightly confused about the net calories, as I do not want to go over my daily amount. Any information to clear this issue up for me would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    It depends. If all the numbers are correct - yes, you could and should eat back all your exercise calories. Here's the problem: Most people underestimate what they are eating and overestimate the calories they are burning through exercise.

I would suggest that you add back about 1/2 the exercise calories for a few weeks. Weigh ( with a scale) and measure all your food. Then see what the scale is saying. If you are losing you have hit the sweet spot. If not, go a little lower on calories.

This link will help with more information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Don't worry about calories burned. Hit the 1600 number and you will be fine. Don't worry about eating more unless you feel like you are crashing during your workouts. If your energy levels are fine and you can make it through your workouts you are eating enough. If you feel tired and can barely make it through your workouts then you would look at increasing calories. Hope this helps.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    i eat back my exercise calories if i'm hungry or feel weak, which happens if i work out extra hard or extra long, and i tend to go with lots of protein and a little carbs for the extra calories. if i don't get hungry or feel weak, i don't bother eating back any of my exercise calories..
  • Amarelia
    Amarelia Posts: 8
    It depends. If all the numbers are correct - yes, you could and should eat back all your exercise calories. Here's the problem: Most people underestimate what they are eating and overestimate the calories they are burning through exercise.

I would suggest that you add back about 1/2 the exercise calories for a few weeks. Weigh ( with a scale) and measure all your food. Then see what the scale is saying. If you are losing you have hit the sweet spot. If not, go a little lower on calories.

This link will help with more information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Honestly, I was already reading that. I'm pretty confused as to how it works, but I think all the abbreviations are just messing me up (long day at work will do that).
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member

Today I ate 1450 calories and burnt 661 leaving me with a net of 789. My goal is 1,600.

Would I eat another 800 calories to make up the difference, or am I only supposed to have 200 more calories? I am slightly confused about the net calories, as I do not want to go over my daily amount. Any information to clear this issue up for me would be greatly appreciated!

On MFP, NET calories is "calories eaten" - "exercise calories logged".

MFP would like your NET calories for the day to equal your daily calorie goal.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Would I eat another 800 calories to make up the difference, or am I only supposed to have 200 more calories?

Net is what's left when you subtract what you burn in exercise from what you've eaten.

My doctor says to ignore net calories and only worry about actual calories eaten.
    Treat any burned off in exercise as a bonus toward weight loss.
    If I'm really hungry at the end of the day I'll eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of what I burned that day, but it's not a regular thing.

If your goal weight is 160 lb, eat 1600 cal per day (10x weight) & you'll get there.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    MFP is set up so that you already have a deficit based on your calorie goal, so they expect you to eat back the calories you burn through exercise. In that case your NET calories should meet your calorie goal. Howevever if you're using the MFP database to calculate your exercise calories burned it will probably be wrong. However if you're using a HRM you can be a bit more confident and eat those calories back.
  • Amarelia
    Amarelia Posts: 8
    Thanks everyone. That makes sense now.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    thanks for that clear and concise response.
    i had been confused for 35 days over this.
    :smile:
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Would I eat another 800 calories to make up the difference, or am I only supposed to have 200 more calories?

Net is what's left when you subtract what you burn in exercise from what you've eaten.

My doctor says to ignore net calories and only worry about actual calories eaten.
    Treat any burned off in exercise as a bonus toward weight loss.
    If I'm really hungry at the end of the day I'll eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of what I burned that day, but it's not a regular thing.

of course. being a noob i forgot to quote the post i was praising.