Almost 5lbs in 5 days? Why do I not believe...

Options
Quick Question:

So, I've been on MFP working on my weight-loss goals since Wednesday, January 12.
According to the scale this morning,
I've lost 4.8 lbs since I started this program 5 days ago.
Is it just me, or does that seem too good to be true?
Is it mostly water weight?
Should I not be excited about this? I'm trying really hard not to be, but it's hard not to!
I don't really FEEL like I've lost 5lbs (or so says my jeans), but I stepped on the scale three different times this morning and it came out with the exact same weight each time!

Too good to be true?

Replies

• natsplat_20
    natsplat_20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In 7 days i lost 5.4lbs. I guess it depends how dramatically different your eating habits are to what they were before. If it's only small changes it seems a lot, but mine was quite a bit change so expected to lose a bit and was happy with that.
  • StaceyJ75
    Options
    I've got the same thing happening here. My jeans don't feel any different, but I know I'm losing in my arms and legs, so you might just be losing in different places. Water goes away first, but at some point fat starts going away too. Enjoy the 5 lbs and don't worry if that speed doesn't continue. Apparently lots of people have bigger numbers at the start. The true test is when the numbers get smaller and you don't let yourself get discouraged and continue on.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thats what I call the **** weight. Totally normal. YOu probably will drop the first 15 rather quickly. Its the back end that takes the hard work and decidcation.

Good Luck
  • lisamfick
    lisamfick Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've lost ten pounds since the 1st of the year. i think it's beginners luck and that I'll evenually plateau and have to work harder at it but it's amazing what a change in diet and a little exercise can do. Celebrate your loss and keep up the good work!
  • Sweepee2
    Options
    No, it's not too good to be true! I lost 6 lbs my first week too. Lots of it could be water weight, but your scale won't lie to you (good or bad). You won't have this great a loss every week, so enjoy it! :)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    yep... water weight. :) i can easily gain 5 lbs overnight from eating too much salt or sugar... our bodies are amazing. :) BUT i'm sure some of that is true weight/fat.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    I would say most of that is water weight, but I have to believe there would be some fat loss in there too. Whatever it is....KEEP THE SCALES GOING DOWN!!! Great job!
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    The first couple of weeks is usually the body adjusting with loss of water, some fat and also you are eating less so there is less mass in your gut. Provided the scales keep going down then that is the good thing.

Are you weighing yourself and measuring yourself ?

Weigh loss can be a little unpredictable - as when you start to exercise more you will tone up muscle, muscle weighs more than fat so you could put on weight but really be loosing fat. I time it will work its self out but if you also measure your self then you can see the effect of the toning up - muscle is more dense than fat so you come trimmer and toned.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I kind of wondered the same thing. I don't think I've changed my diet all THAT much, but watching the calories and portions, and not snacking as much (no sodas in the last week) really does make a big difference. Combined with the exercise, of course.

Keep up the hard work, even during those weeks when you maybe only lose one pound instead of five.
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and support, everyone! Still can't believe how supportive everyone on MFP is!

Even if three pounds of that is water weight...That still means I lost 2 lbs in 5 days, right! It's a start!
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    I did the same thing and thought the same thing! Then I realized I need to not question my weight loss but rather be thankful that I have started a path to becoming a healthy, happier person. Congrats on the weight loss and keep it up!
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So what is this water weight? As im drinking way more water now then before surely ill have more water weight *confused*
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    It's water that your body has retained because of lack of water intake and likely high sodium levels. Once you start drinking the right amount of water, your body won't retain nearly as much because it knows it will get more. Hope that makes sense.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yep, sounds strange but get rid of water weight by drinking more water :D