A silly little molehill that I make into a mountain

Options
I really dislike logging in dinners with multiple ingredients so I don't. Then I wind up going a few days without counting and I derail myself. This past week we fixed a dish that involved about ten ingredients, most of which did not have bar codes. We probably will not fix that again for months. Same thing with restaurant meals. We rarely visit the chain restaurants that have some items (hopefully accurately) in the database.

I know I am sabotaging myself, and this is probably a silly whiny thing, but I know someone else ran/runs into the same thing.

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Find something similar in the database and log that. Find something similar on another restaurants website and use that info. A good best guestament is better than nothing.
  • bparsont
    Options
    Instead of worrying about the little things like spices and such, take the main ingrdients and plug them in here. the food list is limitless and i'm sure you can find what you eat on a regular basis and then once logged into your meal plan it will stay there for easy access next time you want to eat that particular meal.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I try to find something similar, or i simply over estimate and put in some calorie number, because i want to know that on THAT day i simply went over. I want to see in my charts how often that happens. But best is to find something similar:)
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    I find something similar in the database or I enter just the main ingredients. Small amount of herbs aren't going to change the nutritional content that much. Don't worry about falling off, just get back on and keep chugging. You can do it!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If it is something that you make for dinner often, log it in the recipe section. Then the next time that you have it, you can log it as one item (the recipe) rather than each individual item.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder option once, save it. And it's right at your fingertips the next time you want to make it :)
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    The other thing you can do is log the meal once, then click 'remember meal' under the 'quick tools' section. Then when you eat it again, you can just select the meal from the list instead of adding everything in one by one again. I'm afraid it does take a bit of setting up effort but once you've made the initial outlay it's really quite easy most of the time.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Last night my husband cooked dinner because his whole family is staying with us this weekend for his mom's birthday. He made a whole mess of different stuff. London Broil (that would be the easiest to count, but I only ate one tiny slice) Scallops in a lemon/lime/white wine/butter sauce, asparagus and carrots sauteed in I-have-no-idea-what, spinach and cheese ravioli, some sort of pink sauce that I believe contained heavy cream, so I only ate about a tsp of it, bruschetta, some sort of heat in the oven puff pastry things with spinach, and some with pepperoni - Then there was cheesecake for dessert. And ample wine.

I have absolutely no idea how to count any of that. The only other thing I ate yesterday was a 400 calorie turkey sandwhich, which I did log, and I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'm sure I went over in calories, even though I tried to keep the portions of all that stuff really small, but I have no idea by how much.

Anyway, I know I'm rambling, but the point is, I feel your pain. And he's cooking again tonight, and I have no idea what. As soon as his family is gone, I'm taking back my kitchen.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

I know I am sabotaging myself, and this is probably a silly whiny thing,

So since you already know you're sabotaging yourself and that's not helping you with your goals, I'm going to say what you probably also know that you need to hear:
    BUCK UP, PUT ON THE MAN-PANTIES, STOP WHINING, and DEAL WITH IT:flowerforyou:

(and on a more constructive note, I'm with the others suggesting that you find a similar restaurant dish and log that--even if the calorie count sounds high. You can be virtuous in the knowledge that the restaurant version almost certainly includes waaaaay more butter, cream, fat, and sugar than you'll use at home.)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    another suggestions:

Why not make "recipe kits" for combinations of things you like to use a lot, and save them as "recipes", then, you can mix and match them.

For example, I've made an "onion/garlic/pepper" recipe because we frequently cook with onion, garlic, and green pepper sauteed with a bit of olive oil. Voila! four ingredients are now one click away!
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    another suggestions:

Why not make "recipe kits" for combinations of things you like to use a lot, and save them as "recipes", then, you can mix and match them.

For example, I've made an "onion/garlic/pepper" recipe because we frequently cook with onion, garlic, and green pepper sauteed with a bit of olive oil. Voila! four ingredients are now one click away!

This is a great idea! I will have to use this as I do the same thing with some ingredients.