Scared when get into fitness center...

Options
Hi,guys. I'm just getting started to weight loss. I used to be pretty thin or slim. I was 180cm and 140 pounds...Somehow I got lazy, and started to became fater and fater...And now I'm over 300 pounds...I tried lose weight before, and my body is no longer capable for these exercises...So I'm thinking about swimming pool. But I just feel shame to get into the bathing suit and go there...I feel like everybody gonna laugh at me, like they did back my hometown...Everytime I see myself in the mirror, I just hate myself...I want to make some changes....

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Well dont go swimming then, so something else until you feel more comfortable
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh this is a tough one. On one hand yes some people will laugh at you and want to see you fail. On the other hand more people will be proud of you and want to see you succeed. Bottom line is are you going to let a hand full of people the might laugh at you hold you back for the rest of your life? If the answer is yes then the weight is just a symptom of the problem not the cause.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't swim until you are comfortable. I for one, don't go swimming when I am out of shape so I feel your pain. You can train in sweat pants and a hoodie if you want. A lot of people do.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most people will be too busy doing their own thing, or worrying about themselves, to even notice you. Once you've made that first step you'll start to feel better about yourself and it will become easier the next time.

Having said that, if you really can't face getting in the water, then do something else. Walking is a great way to start increasing your activity.

Bear in mind that weight loss is mostly about diet so if you don't do any exercise then there's still no reason you couldn't lose weight.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel comfortable swimming then walk, if you can do that. You don't have to walk fast or at an incline or anything crazy to start off with. Start with what you can handle and work your way up.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I swim. The thing I love most about the gym is you never know where everyone started. So those guys/girls who are super buff ..sure maybe they were that way their whole lives but most likely not.When I started back in the pool I could only do water walking and what I referred to as bouncing for about 20-30 minutes . Now I do laps and tread (as of yesterday with weights) for an hour +. So imagine its me beside you. You just didn't see me when I started but I hope to see you when its all done and we are all super skinny and fit.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Social anxiety in public caused by feelings about self perceived inadequacies (be they real or not) are common when it comes to exposing our bodies in such public places as a swimming pool or beach. A lot of people dread the concept of taking their shirt off in public or getting into a bathing suit, this is not abnormal especially if you are overweight, out of shape etc.

That being said you mentioned swimming as an exercise because you are currently unable to do other forms of exercise, I suggest you learn to appreciate the fact that the majority of people will not being paying attention to you, let alone passing judgement of any kind...and for the small majority that may or do, just ignore them! Don't let their shortcomings stop you from improving your health and elevating your self-confidence.

Also as previously mentioned you are limited to what exercise you can do, well don't underestimate the smaller activities such as walking, taking the stairs, parking your car further away from your destination etc these will all contribute to some extent to better health.

Exercise will contribute to a calorie deficit but a calorie deficit is the fundamental reason for weight loss, so here is a link to get you started...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Also try to remember that unbeknownst to a lot of people exercising in public who feel shamed by the condition of their bodies, a lot of people are actively cheering you on in their minds but would consider it impolite to mention the fact because of personal space, etiquette etc sadly the rude ones are often the loudest but their opinion is never worth listening to anyway.

B4bMBZC.jpg

Good luck OP and enjoy the water...I find swimming very therapeutic in nature.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Most people will be too busy doing their own thing, or worrying about themselves, to even notice you. Once you've made that first step you'll start to feel better about yourself and it will become easier the next time.

Having said that, if you really can't face getting in the water, then do something else. Walking is a great way to start increasing your activity.

Bear in mind that weight loss is mostly about diet so if you don't do any exercise then there's still no reason you couldn't lose weight.

I agree. Weight loss starts in the kitchen. If you feel uncomfortable and don't want to get in the water, try an elliptical to start. I for one dont really pay attention to others in the gym b/c I am just focused on what I am trying to do. When I do see someone in the gym that is heavier, I silently applaud b/c at least they are trying.
  • nevertoooldtodoit
    nevertoooldtodoit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in wanting to improve your health and fitness. Swimming is a great way to start. I understand the self consciousness but I bet no one there will be worried about you. Everyone is there doing their own thing. You can do it, every trip to the pool or gym will get easier. Today is the day, go for it!
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I say...to hell with people and their comments! Get your body in a swimsuit (I always did when I was larger) and be proud that you are getting healthy. How do you know what people are thinking anyway, unless you talk to them? Make some friends at the gym..you'll need them. Go up to the person who has the body size you want and ask them to work out with you.

Let me tell you, who do I have more respect for? The obese person buying a cart load of junk food at the grocery store and wheeling around Walmart in the motorized carts, or the one who's in a swimsuit doing laps at the gym? No brainer, honey.

Let your rolls jiggle and bounce. They won't be for long. You're a body in transition..for the better.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Don't be afraid of what people think when they see you in a swim suit. Trust me they know you are overweight. I was extremely overweight and the pool has been my saving grace. I started with moderate exercise and now can do a hard cardio session in the pool.

The water supports your body and lets you move your muscles without damaging your joints. These days I am smaller but now I am saggy from the weight loss but I don't let my concern about what people think stop me. Hang in there the pool is an excellent option. You may find that there are aqua aerobics classes, maybe try easy ones and graduate to the tougher ones. I started with aerobics for athritis in the pool now I do aqua zumba which is fun, and hard as "HELL". But I'm stronger and smaller for it.

Go for it you will find lots of overweight people hit the pool so you have nothing to be self conscious about. Your health and fitness are more
    important than what anyone thinks. Just for the record a work out in the pool is a seriously good cardio workout and can easily burn 500 or more calories in an hour while strengthening and toning your muscles.

JUMP in and work up a sweat in the water.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey if you don't feel comfortable going in the pool then don't. If you need to lose as much weight as you think you go for a walk around the block. Chances are you will be only be able to do one lap. Then tomorrow walk around the block twice. By the end of the month you will be able to do a couple of miles. By then if you have logged your food and followed your program you will have lost some serious weight. Two months in if you work at it you will be at the fitness center with a whole new attitude and believe it not you'll be down twenty or twenty five pounds and you will feel physically better.

I wish I had figured this out in my twenty's. Here I am 56 years old and I have lost 57 pounds over the last 5 months Last week I weighed 289 pounds, the first time I have been under 290 this century. I started by walking to the end of my block and back.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    So much good advice in the above posts! Don't let fear of what other people are thinking stop you from doing what you want/need to do to change your life for the better. When I bought my bike a few weeks ago I was embarassed to even walk into the cycle shop. I just knew everyone was thinking "Eww, what is someone like that doing in here". But I went in anyway and found a huge amount of support from the employees and even other customers. I literally had 3 different employees helping me to make sure I found the right bike and when I went back in for an adjustment last week those employees remembered me and were right there asking how I was liking the bike, making helpful and encouraging suggestions, and treating me just like they treated every other customer. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. We think people will react negatively so we talk ourselves out of doing what we want when in truth, many people will be right there to encourage us even if it's silently. So put on that swimsuit, hold your head up, and when the doubts and fears kick in say "I AM DOING THIS FOR ME!"
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just go for it and do what you want.

Likes others said, most people are too wrapped up in what they are doing to notice others for more than a second.

Think about the last time you went to the store. Do you remember many of the people that were in there that day? Of course not. Our minds really don't care other than the brief second.

If you want to do something inside, try leslie sansone walk away the pounds. some of her videos are on youtube if you want to try it out. This is my go to when I am feeling really out of shape and just want to get moving again.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I can understand why you feel this way. But, the people at the gym are adults. And they are adults at a gym. It is completely expected that people in the pool will be heavy, elderly, dealing with injuries and disabilities. So go there, have fun, get fit. Once you are in the water no one will be noticing your body. The people that matter don't care about that.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    What wonderful support you're getting. You've already stepped into the fitness center right here. People start where ever they are. In my classes, people are big, little, in shape, out of shape. male female, gay, straight and whatever. Some people talk, some don't. Some people will be friendly to me, some won't.

If swimming is your thing, just start. There's that saying about the journey being achieved by the first step = or something.

We want you to succeed, but you're the only one who can do it for yourself.
  • Dean649
    Dean649 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do not be intimidated at a gym. Everyone is welcome and if you show up consistantly and work hard you will actually get a lot of respect from people. Do not feel shame, if you are going to feel anything, feel anger at what makes you feel shame, then go to the gym and kick its *kitten*.
    I am going to copy paste something here that I just put up on my profile comments, I hope it helps.
    .............................................................................................................................................................................................
    Back in the Heavy fitness days, I was privileged to spend time with some of the best fighters and most fit people around, people that spent all their time training to be the best and teaching others, Some of the most bad *kitten* men and women around that also happen to be the most humble and kind I have ever come across. Some really great and truly friendly people. But there was one person the I had the most respect for, One person that inspired me to work hard. I never really talked to her other than to say hello once in a while. She would come into our early am cardio class, I mean like 5am or so class. She was very over weight. Very big girl, but she was there, every morning for every class. ( about 4 classes scheduled a week) I know it was hard for her, that is a difficult class for someone not over weight, and her being a mother and having a job as well.
    I was away from the morning classes for a few months and then came in one morning and there she was, About half her size and still getting her but up in the morning and coming into the gym for punishment. I respected the hell out of her for that and I told her so. I hope she stayed with it and met her goals. People accomplish their goals only when they are willing to commit and do not give up.
    When I think about getting motivated for just about anything, I think of her to get myself motivated, not the guys fighting from our Academy on ESPN and winning belts.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi,guys. I'm just getting started to weight loss. I used to be pretty thin or slim. I was 180cm and 140 pounds...Somehow I got lazy, and started to became fater and fater...And now I'm over 300 pounds...I tried lose weight before, and my body is no longer capable for these exercises...So I'm thinking about swimming pool. But I just feel shame to get into the bathing suit and go there...I feel like everybody gonna laugh at me, like they did back my hometown...Everytime I see myself in the mirror, I just hate myself...I want to make some changes....

I love swimming. I do 25 laps in a 75 foot pool every time I swim. Who said you have to wear a bathing suit? If that's your main hangup just do what I do and wear shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt. Whatever it takes to get you past the mental discomfort and into the gym is what you should do. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I love swimming. I do 25 laps in a 75 foot pool every time I swim. Who said you have to wear a bathing suit? If that's your main hangup just do what I do and wear shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt. Whatever it takes to get you past the mental discomfort and into the gym is what you should do. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Yeah, they sell shorts and short sleeve shirts in bathing suit material also. You can find it in sun protective clothing.
  • d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    First of all, before you start everything, LOVE YOURSELF!
    You are GREAT!

By starting this topic shows that you really are GREAT.
    Great people know their strength/weakness and try to overcome the weakness by fixing here & there also strengthen their strengths.

Get a picture of your dream body (from fitness magazine or internet) & put it near your bed where you can see easily everyday.
    Every morning, right after you wake up, just sit on the corner of your bed, look at the dream body picture then close your eyes & imagine your body just like your dream body.
    Create a goal with a finite time frame (usually a year)

Go to gym or pool with confidence that you'll get your goal bit by bit.
    Ignore those morons if they are laughing (at you or not) & you'll get the last laugh.

Friend request sent