Does anyone else dislike the music that's played in gyms?

Options
salemsaberhagen
salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
My gym likes to play that Imagine Dragons crap or "music" just like it. I wistfully remember the days in undergrad when the school gym blasted either hard core rap or metal; much more conducive to lifting. I know I will get comments to the effect of "bring your ipod", "listen to your own stuff", etc. But, every gym I go to plays the same soft, horrible, estrogen inducing drivel. I'm curious if others feel the same way; looking for like minded individuals. I wonder if this is a new trend.

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure if my gym plays music...too busy with headphones in my ear.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    My gym plays top 40. I think it should be a mix of stuff and one of my old gyms had a system where people could vote by the hour.

I used to work out at a lot of power lifting gyms and id hate the fact that they'd always play hardcore metal all the time. I mean seriously just lift the damn weights of you need to listen to a certain type of music to get into the mood then you're actually kind of a pansy
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    My gym plays top 40. I think it should be a mix of stuff and one of my old gyms had a system where people could vote by the hour.

I used to work out at a lot of power lifting guns and id hate the fact that they'd always play hardcore metal all the time. I mean seriously just lift the damn weights of you need to listen to a certain type of music to get into the mood then you're actually kind of a pansy

DYEL brah?
  • cronly
    cronly Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like to be in the moment, focusing on my muscle groups at the gym, and mostly too high from endorphins to notice the music.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    We listen to KISS FM (UK Station) in ours. The management tried to change it but listened to the membership and changed it back. When I go its mainly house/dance music which gives the whole place a good vibe :-)
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    on another thread i complained that the people at my gym plug their own ipod into the soundsystem and blast their music aloud so loud that i cant hear my own ipod headphones. and i do not like their kind of music at all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I used to work out at a lot of power lifting guns and id hate the fact that they'd always play hardcore metal all the time. I mean seriously just lift the damn weights of you need to listen to a certain type of music to get into the mood then you're actually kind of a pansy

DYEL brah?

not really brah. I dont want to get bulkeh

women_lifting_light_weights.jpeg
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I find the tampon commercials being blasted at the gym to be MORE distracting than the bad music.

Metallica or silence...please.
  • Gladiator1000
    Options
    dunno know....have my iPod on
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    top 40 at mine too.....yuck. Love my iPod!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't like it much but I like it less to have thingies plugged in my ears (no ipod for me), so I just concentrate my workouts and I try to block the music.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't play music.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My gym plays all the music I like every day...because it's in my basement.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    yes! God, I hate a lot of pop music.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Yes, the full-blast music was one of the reasons I quit the gym. Even when I brought my own music, I could hear that stuff they pumped in regardless of my headphones. It was so LOUD. The main reason I left was that their (brand new) pool was always "empty for repair" and I primarily signed up for the pool but the music thing was definitely on the list.
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My gym plays all the music I like every day...because it's in my basement.

+1
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Try working out at a gym that blasts country.

I've actually had to deal with that at times. Luckily on the weekends they play hair metal, but on weekdays it's country. I can barely hold a barbell properly while laughing to "kiss my country *kitten*" and the like.

My other gym plays top 40. I can deal with that. When I go to the gym and anticipate "country" time I bring my MP3 player.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would have been thrilled to get Imagine Dragons and crap like that.

The gyms that I went to (and quit) played dance *kitten*. Or worse - knock-off versions of dance *kitten* (I'm looking at you Curves.)

I couldn't take the assault on my ears. I found it so frustrating to listen to, that I gave up on the gym. And no - the ipod wouldn't have worked, because they played the stereo so loud, I couldn't drown it out.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My earphones broke one time when I was working out a while back. I lasted another 10 minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore and called it an early day.

On my way out, I talked with the guy behind the counter and he said they used to be able to have some control, but the company signed up for some sort of music service and now he has to fight to keep from shoving pencils in his ears.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i kind of thing music at gyms is used as some sort of weeding out filter attack u know like what they do at 7-11 parking lots to stop loitering. if you arnt one of them they drive u away with their volume 99 brand of music.