Pre-Diabetes

Recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and need lots of advice, tips and motivation to drop lots of weight!

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    your doctor should have hooked you up with a nutritionist after diagnosing you. that's why hospitals have nutritionists if he didn't go smack that dude
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    what i do is eat more, smaller meals to avoid higher blood glucose peaks, and i eat lower carbs. lots of fiber - beans, barley, etc - slow food absorbtion, and walking not only helps with weight loss but also using many muscles, so walking helps a lot with insulin resistance.

btw, i found neither my doctor nor her dietician knew anything useful (or even correct) about food and diabetes, but it's always a good idea to check with them. you could get lucky.
  • brianhendirx
    brianhendirx Posts: 5 Member
    @lifeisgood - Your reason is the reason why I've come back in. Got my A1C back and it was 6.4%. This is my last chance to get it lowered before I possibly get put on diabetic medication. I then went on a rampage with researching carbs, sugars, etc, etc, etc. After only 15 days, I've lost 13lbs simply by weighing everything that I eat and eating as if I were a diabetic. There are many sites online that can help you.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    The best advice is just to lose weight, I find the easiest way when your starting out is to count calories, keep a journal and write down every calorie you eat or drink throughout the day. There are many sites that will tell you how many calories you need to consume to lose 2lbs per day. Also try to cut down on carb and sugar and exercise as much as possible, even if its just a quick walk once a day. The good news is your not diabetic, you can prevent it by changing your lifestyle.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and need lots of advice, tips and motivation to drop lots of weight!

No simple carbs (cake, cookies, cheesecake, fast food, chips, etc). Complex carbs only (sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, multigrain bread, veggies). Fruit in moderation… preferably berries because they are low glycemic.

Eat protein and fat at every meal and snack. Never eat complex carbs alone.

Sample meal plan:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 slice bread
    Morning snack: 1 serving nuts and 1 cup berries
    Lunch: 3-4 oz lean protein, 1/2 medium sweet potato, veggies drizzled in 1 tsp olive oil
    Afternoon snack: Protein shake or bar
    Dinner: 3-4 oz lean protein, 1/3 cup brown rice, veggies drizzled in 1 tsp olive oil
    Late night snack: Greek yogurt (watch carbs/sugar content). Buying the "light" version is better because it typically only has around 10-12 g carbs and 7 g sugar.

Make sure you are exercising for at least 30 minutes a day. Go for a walk, do yoga, swim, jump rope. Strength training is also important.
  • secwife47
    secwife47 Posts: 29 Member
    Ive been down that road. I was told if I didn't lose the weight I would be put on meds. So im down 50 pounds in 6 months. You can do this im 57 years old and over 100 pounds over weight. For me I logged everything that went into my mouth. I bought a 5 dollar stationary bike at a thrift store and rode that. I know have a regular bike that I ride when I can. At first I was worried about people seeing my big butt on it. But now I figure at least im trying. I also WII bowl and play tennis. When your so heavy like me you take baby steps. I probably don't eat perfect, but I know that this is the rest of my life. I pay close attention to my portions. I buy snacks and portion them into small bags. I use to just grab the bag and eat. Im sure most people wouldn't agree with my style but it works for me. Good luck lots of people on here to talk to so go for it.
  • lifeisgoodtbk
    lifeisgoodtbk Posts: 3 Member
    my A1C was 6.2. I'm signed up for an educational class at our local hospital at their next educational meeting - but its not for two more weeks. the more i surf the internet....the more overwhelming all the info becomes.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    your health should be your motivation - also there are a host of diabetic complications if you don't get it under control

I was a full blown insulin taking diabetic for over 10 years and now lost the weight and manage it only with food/diet and exercise - so it can be corrected, but you will need to work at it.

there is a support group here - Type 2 Diabetes Support Group - just search for it on the group page

there are a host of websites as well with recipe suggestions and modifications you can make

Like other posters said, ask your doctor about a nutritionist - check with your insurance as well - they generally have programs/classes that are covered - it's how I finally learned what I needed to know

walking after meals can bring your sugars down, but it really is a matter of watching what you eat and making better more informed decisions
  • what i do is eat more, smaller meals to avoid higher blood glucose peaks, and i eat lower carbs. lots of fiber - beans, barley, etc - slow food absorbtion, and walking not only helps with weight loss but also using many muscles, so walking helps a lot with insulin resistance.

btw, i found neither my doctor nor her dietician knew anything useful (or even correct) about food and diabetes, but it's always a good idea to check with them. you could get lucky.

After visiting my father-in-law in the hospital today, because he had acute kidney failure due to a medication he was on for his diabetes. This is what the dietitian recommended he do.

He was also told the Weight Watchers point system was adapted from the diabetic diet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Lower your calories, lose weight, and your A1C will go down.
    Keep it simple until you get further instructions.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    what i do is eat more, smaller meals to avoid higher blood glucose peaks, and i eat lower carbs. lots of fiber - beans, barley, etc - slow food absorbtion, and walking not only helps with weight loss but also using many muscles, so walking helps a lot with insulin resistance.

After visiting my father-in-law in the hospital today, because he had acute kidney failure due to a medication he was on for his diabetes. This is what the dietitian recommended he do.

He was also told the Weight Watchers point system was adapted from the diabetic diet.

Weight Watchers isn't good for those with diabetes, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance, etc. because it allows you to eat whatever in moderation. If a diabetic eats a single cookie, it will spike their blood sugar and they could feel off for days. That's why it's best to avoid it all together.

Those with endocrine disorders need to follow a strict diet… typically a Mediterranean style, low glycemic diet.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 298 Member
    dlife.com has tons of information and recipes. I agree, you should check out diabetic nutritional class at your local hospital. Ours was only 4 evening sessions. They really do help you understand the whole counting healthy carbs thing. :flowerforyou: good luck
  • kitkatclara
    kitkatclara Posts: 2 Member
    Stay away from processed foods, especially simple carbs. Limit your carb intake to 15g carbs per meal. Get moving. Walking is a first great step. Once you build up stamina, start doing other activities that you enjoy. Building more muscle will speed up your metabolism and help you to loose weight more quickly. You can do it! Stay confident! As you see small changes, you will become even more confident!
  • ehodgdend4
    ehodgdend4 Posts: 27 Member
    The biggest thing is Watch what you eat and how much and being physical and losing weight will really help.
    i cut out all pop i will have a sparkling water once in awhile, but i started to drink more tea helps with craving and drank a lot more water.
    i also cut out a lot of the foods i ate and started eating more veggies i.e Spinach and broc and cali, low in carbs and you can eat all you want really. theirs not a lot of carbs in them
    In april my a1c was a 9.2 and in 3 months i lost 30lbs and last week my A1C was at 5.2

so just eat better, watch what you eat and how much and exercise, the basics
  • lifeisgoodtbk
    lifeisgoodtbk Posts: 3 Member
    thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I think I'm gonna like this MFP community:happy:
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    All the advise has been good. Losing the weight and getting more exercise will be a life changing experience. A few years ago I was where you are now. By walking and eating smarter I have lost the weight, and am working on getting this 53 year old body tuned up again. What worked for me was to measure and weigh everything. Log it all, and if you are in doubt, add 10% to your calories and take 10% away from your exercise. And never, never, never drink your calories. Did I mention don't drink your calories?

Good luck, Larro
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Hi! I'm pre-diabetic too :grumble: I found out three months ago. My fasting glucose was 133 and A1C 6.6%... They said I was diabetic, but then landed on pre-diabetic as my liver was fine and I had no symptoms. Anyway... This gave me the shock of my life! No medication was prescribed. The doctor set me up with a nutritionist, who was really helpful and taught me all about carbs etc.

In the past three months I have been eating a low carb, low date diet. Exercising 5-6 times a week (cardio and strength). I've lost 42lbs!

Yesterday was my 'three month anniversary' since being diagnosed, so I went to get my labs redone. I am happy to say that my numbers have come back significantly improved! My blood glucose is now 104 and A1C is now 5.5%! At 104 I'm still considered per-diabetic, but my A1C is within the normal range. Hopefully a few more months and my glucose will be below 100.

Anyway, this is what has helped me. Let me know if you want to chat more.

All the best with your journey :flowerforyou:
  • deke441
    deke441 Posts: 3 Member
    eat clean and exercise (cardio) with weight training included. It can be reversed. I have not had a shot of insulin since the 1st of April. Wish someone would have told me this years ago. Good luck!
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Stay away from processed foods, especially simple carbs. Limit your carb intake to 15g carbs per meal.

I got told 45-60 grams of carbs per main meal and 15 grams per snack. Anyway, everyone is different. Make sure you talk to a nutritionist to ensure you're eating the correct amount of carbs for your situation.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    that brings up another thing to remember - everything has carbs - except plain meat and plain fats. -- so carbs from milk, fruit, vegetables, all count towards those carb numbers

I heard the 135 total number before - approximately 45 grams per meal - again, from any carb source

I try to keep to carbs are around 45% of my day - and I tend to eat more vegetables/fruits as my carb source than bread/pasta/rice, etc

that is why the dietician is important - they should work with you to come up with the best plan for you, your calorie intake, etc.