I am a survivor!!

Options
clambert1273
clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
So Over the last month I have lost 10lbs which is great! But that isn't my reason for writing.... I don't have pics to share or some great weight loss secret... what I do have... is survival.... in the most unusual manner!

So in my journey to fitness, eating, losing weight and recomp'g my body.... I started lifting again. My house has been under redecorating hell and my weight room was buried under everything we had dumped in there as I was moving room to room redecorating lol Since I didn't have them, I grabbed my dumbbells (adjustable) and whipped out my old Chalean Extreme DVD's to at least do SOMETHING...

First DVD... no problem... woke up one morning to do the 2nd workout and BAM! I did a squat and got the worst headache of my life... white lights flashing, fell down, threw up and felt like someone was beating on my head with a hammer. I didn't finish the work nor did I do any more after that.

I lived with that headache for almost 3 weeks - nothing relieved it and I couldn't relax...like ever. I went to a chiropractor because my neck and shoulders were so stiff that I thought that was the cause of the headache - that didn't help either. July 3rd rolls around and I am sitting in my office in tears. I can't even look at the screen on my computer and I am pretty much useless. Around 2pm that day, I pack my stuff up and head to urgent care. I couldn't fathom spending the 4th of July weekend incapacitated over a headache.

I arrive at urgent care and the doctor there tells me he is concerned and sends me to the ER. He calls ahead to let them know I am on my way. I get to the ER and wait.... for 1.5hours in triage.. they take me back for a CT scan of my head. That took like 2 minutes and then I was back waiting... The triage nurse comes in to me and tells me "I don't want you to think we are ignoring you, I have to find you a bed because you are staying here"... I just looked at her blinking.... I said... umm what?? She told me that they saw something in the CT scan ... at this point, I am terrified and start telling my husband to get to the ER.

They soon get me to a bed and the doctor comes in to tell me that there is what appears to be a brain bleed and they they are calling in the neuro team from home. The neuro doctor arrives and says that he is going to do an angiogram to get a better visual and if they find anything they will put me under and fix it right there.

Come to find out, I had a subarachnoid Hemorrhage (SAH) and 2 more "giant" aneurysm's that were about to burst as well... Few people survive this hemorrhage and not only did I survive.. but I lived with it for 3 weeks lol My neuro is still stunned... apparently during those weeks I had 2 strokes as well (never would know it) and started to stroke during the surgery and he stopped it...

I have only been home from the hospital about a week and I am already stir crazy.... My message is to anyone that has a family history of aneurysm's - be pre-emptive and get a scan done asap. I wish I would have known 5 years ago lol I am grateful to still be here and while I will continue my weightloss journey it seems a small piece in my puzzle now :)

Some of my best friends from this site were awesome supporters and my friends/family were crazy supportive... so no fantastic pics (as of yet) just a grateful individual for life in general! Please take care of yourselves, in all capacities!

Replies

• twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How scary! But you have an awesome attitude about it. You can pre-screen for that? Hmmm....might be something I need to talk to my doctor about. My Mom died at 52yrs of a brain bleed due to untreated high blood pressure. I turn 45 tomorrow, but I do have my blood pressure under control. Worth talking about. Thanks for sharing! Speedy recovery.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Holy Guacamole I can't believe you walked around with a SAH for 3 weeks!! You are without a doubt the definition of strong...and lucky :) Happy recovery!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    How scary! But you have an awesome attitude about it. You can pre-screen for that? Hmmm....might be something I need to talk to my doctor about. My Mom died at 52yrs of a brain bleed due to untreated high blood pressure. I turn 45 tomorrow, but I do have my blood pressure under control. Worth talking about. Thanks for sharing! Speedy recovery.

I have never had high blood pressure but my grandmother died from rupture and my father had them as well so it was a hereditary thing. All my sisters have to be scanned now and my children will also as they get older :)

They can do CT scans or MRI scans to see if it is positive for them which I had no idea about lol
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    wow how scary! and an excellent message for people to not ignore symptoms. Thank you very much for sharing. Im glad you are a survivor :heart:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Luv you - I'm glad you're still with us :heart: You need to hurry up and get well so you can lift with me again - we barely got started :wink:
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Amen and Amen. Glad you are ok! \o/
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've had so many migraines that have lasted and lasted that I would have just laid there and croaked. :embarassed: I'm glad you had the good sense to go see a doctor and that they had the further good sense to send you on to the ER. Looks like the sun is just shining on you! Although I'm sure that it didn't feel like it. LOL! I wish you a speedy recovery and am so glad you were able to beat the big one! :flowerforyou:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Wow, SAH and is here telling us about it. So glad you are well and alive! My friend had one while she was at work in a hospital. Lucky for her she was with people who recognized the symptoms and got a scan pronto. She survived as you did. You're a very, very lucky person. Blessings to you.:flowerforyou:
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Wow, glad you're still with us!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I knew you were in the hospital, but I didn't know it why. I'm so glad you're still with us & will be ok. Take it slow even if you are stir crazy. You've been my biggest help on here. You are meant to be around for awhile, take care of yourself. You've got friends here for you too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your message. If anything happens to me I will get checked out right away and NOT WAIT..even though I understand why you did.

So glad you are okay and holy heck woman SO LUCKY you made it against the odds as they were described to you?

You must feel so lucky and I hope you take the chance to get as much out of life as you can.

You can get to goals you need in the manner you need to. There are many paths to success and I know with your determination, grit, and luck you will find the right one for you.

But one more time just so you know you were heard...Yes, I will take nothing for granted and get checked out anytime there is a problem. Thank you!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    And we're very glad you are a survivor! Gosh, you'd just started revisiting the lifting board :) it's quiet without you! :flowerforyou:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    And we're very glad you are a survivor! Gosh, you'd just started revisiting the lifting board :) it's quiet without you! :flowerforyou:

Are you saying she talks alot?? LOL JK

Seriously, come back - we don't always talk about workouts, do we Jen? :bigsmile:
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Yup I do talk a lot lol but its ok... Wonder if that burns more calories lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!