getting sick every time i drink?

Options
2»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Body screaming.... quit poisioning me..........................
    That's about it....
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/298390-why-alcohol-causes-sinus-congestion/

You could have an intolerance for alcohol, and not intolerance meaning you drink one drink and are drunk, more along the lines of things like lactose intolerance. Could also be an allergy. Allergies and intolerances can develop randomly throughout your life, you can grow out of them and develop new ones at any point in your life.
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Did you ever happen to find out if it was anything medical? This has been happening to me recently, sometimes with only 1-2 drinks I will start puking. I don't know what to do since I have never had this issue before. It is one thing to drink way too much and start puking - I completely understand that. But within the last 4-5 months every time I drink, no matter what it is or how much I typically end up throwing up :( I don't think its very responsible to be puking at family events or even out in public, so I have been really struggling trying to understand what is going on with my body. If I can't figure it out I guess no more drinks for me!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    In for alcoholism.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Did you ever happen to find out if it was anything medical?
    The OP posted this in 2011! You may want to message her for the answer
  • merpmerp95
    Options
    My mom is allergic to beer, maybe that's your problem too? She's always gotten sick drinking it. My mom also found out recently she has ciliac disease and beer has wheat in it, so that could have been also adding to it.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Your body is getting rid of the poison you ingested...otherwise you are at risk of dying from alcohol poisoning.
  • 007AS
    007AS Posts: 12
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I used to be able to handle alcohol (never got blackout, but enough to feel good and tipsy!), but after a while my tolerance started to go down. I wouldn't get drunk from less alcohol, but my body just couldn't tolerate it anymore and after even 1 drink, I would spend the whole night getting sick. I have *self-diagnosed* myself with an alcohol allergy, since many allergies only present after persistent exposure. I don't have any other allergies or food intolerance, so I basically cut out all alcohol except sometimes I'll take a sip of someone's wine for the taste. It's extremely frustrating, but I try not to let it get me down! I still go out, and I save a ton of money and calories! (Still, I totally get how much it sucks, but there are worse allergies and conditions, so I just live with it.)
  • 1PearlyMargaret
    1PearlyMargaret Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting article, one in which I encourage you to read. We don't need as much alcohol as we age because "The critical enzymes for breaking down booze are somewhat diminished in efficiency as we age," in addition, our body treats and processes alcohol as if it were a toxin (I didn't make it up, just the way our body handles alcohol), years and years of "poisoning" yourself could catch up to u. I used to be a heavy drinker but lately have cut back - dramatically. My body is starting to reject alcohol in my older age and I'm finding one beer is not worth the violent hang over the next day. I still have a desire to drink, but when push comes to shove, my body may have changed (as perhaps yours might have as well) and my body is just not taking alcohol well anymore- a very sad notion for me to concede. All I can suggest if perhaps its age. As we age, our bodies do change. Perhaps yours is changing as well. Good luck!