indian restaurant?

Options
Hi everyone, I am going out next weekend for my parents wedding anniversary .There will be quite alot of people going to this and I dont want to draw attention to the fact I am dieting.This will be the first time I have eaten out since starting my healthy eating and I am a little worried (sad I know .) I really love indian food but I know it is laden with fats any ideas on healthy alternatives.Do I just go easy on the sauces? Thanks Nat.

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Try looking up the restaurant and see if they have a nutritional guide then you can see what to order and be prepared
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Try sticking to the Tomato based sauces rather than creamy ones & perhaps prawn or vegetable instead of beef or chicken. Also boiled rice rather than fried rice or Naans.
    Hope that is helpful!? It always going to be a case of the lesser of two evils lol
  • mrslotfy
    Options
    Oh I love Indian food! Really don't know what is considered healthy on a menu, but definitely stay away from the Paneer....oh so yummy, oh so fatty!
  • Talliexxx
    Options
    ha ha no there is no nutritional guide unfortunately.I am dreading smelling it and wanting it! ha ha. Veg based stuff would be ok I suppose but I do love a chicken bhuna x
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Daal and Tandoori are some of the "healthier" options.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    hi nat its a celebration of ur parents my suggestion is go easy the days b4 the celeb and enjoy urself. I dont mean overeat but try a little of everything, and forget about counting cals that day. have fun
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat Nepali (Nepalese?) food quite often, I believe they are pretty similar. If they have nutrition facts online, pre-plan, that is the best way. If not, avoid fried foods, go with leaner meats or vegetarian, if the liquid part of the sauce isn't at least a tad see-through, avoid it, (as PP said, avoid cream-based sauces), and watch your portion sizes and you should be fine! GL! :flowerforyou:
  • Talliexxx
    Options
    Thanks everyone.I will just have what I want and stick with tandoori chicken and cut down on the portion size.Maybe someone will share a main with me that would be good x
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    LOL also...You could always try it hotter/spicier than usual so you eat slower?
  • Talliexxx
    Options
    oooh good idea! Thanks x