Map My Walk not registering correctly…???

Options
hey guys…do any of you use MapmyWalk? It keeps my time, but it always says that i only walked like .30 miles or some small number when i know i walked further (i think .30 miles in 36 minutes is a little ridiculous) … not sure why it isn't registering my mileage correctly? anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• justcallmedave
    justcallmedave Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i had trouble with map my walk, ended up switching to runkeeper, far superior programme
  • macfaydengirl
    macfaydengirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper! Thanks for that - will check it out :smile:
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the Map My Walk/Fitness sites, and had serious problems getting them to sync with MFP. Some workouts wouldn't sync at all, and others would create duplicates. Like many other people, I reported the problem, but no progress ever seemed to be made.

I eventually gave up and now I just manually enter my walks/workouts in both places. It's annoying, but is significantly less work than sorting out the mess made by the bad sync.
  • justcallmedave
    justcallmedave Posts: 115 Member
    Options
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I manually enter mapmyfitness logs, try Endomondo
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I also dropped Map my Walk for Runkeeper, MMW was just not good for my walking, Run Keeper is not peferct, but is mostly tracks my walks
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know one person who had trouble with this programs because he was holding his phone in his hand while he walked. The extra swinging of his hand, combined with his gait, screwed up the milage. You have to have the phone clipped to your waistband or in a pocket fitted close to your body. i.e., the phone shouldn't be swinging around.

Keep walking, though! I just lost 10 lbs just by walking (while also limiting my calories on MFP of course).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no issue for me for it syncing or registering it correctly.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.?
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    make sure the gps in your phone is on and has a position lock on you.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Mine works correctly, but I'm going to ask a stupid question, so don't be offended: Are you trying to use it inside? I had a friend who couldn't figure out why it didn't work right but she was trying to use it walking around her office building inside.

I love mapmywalk and find it very accurate. I compare it with my fitbit or other pedometers. It is right on, except usually a little higher in the burned calories because it figures your "climb."
  • bioya40
    bioya40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have tried several apps for tracking my walking. There are two that I like and continue to use, Runkeeper and the Nike app which uses the little monitor that goes in or on your shoe. Outside I will often use both and compare the distances. For inside I only use the Nike (it is non-GPS) and then I can recalibrate it as needed when I go a known distance. Runkeeper has excellent tracking (GPS) and is very accurate. It has many options for other types of movement, I have started running and biking. You can have Runkeeper setup to automatically update your MFP log.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Usually a distance error is a hardware issue (phone gps), not software.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The only times I've had issues are when the GPS locks up. I have headphones on, and I get audio updates every mile. If it feels like it's been too long, I check my current position on the map versus my actual location. If they don't match, I turn the GPS off and back on. It quickly snaps back to location, but across a straight line, so some of the full distance gets lost, but better than if most of the walk is lost.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Mine works correctly, but I'm going to ask a stupid question, so don't be offended: Are you trying to use it inside? I had a friend who couldn't figure out why it didn't work right but she was trying to use it walking around her office building inside.

I love mapmywalk and find it very accurate. I compare it with my fitbit or other pedometers. It is right on, except usually a little higher in the burned calories because it figures your "climb."

GPS on a phone does not work well inside a building. The signals are too weak, so the phone can't get a position lock.
  • lj83113
    lj83113 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes!!!! i walk the halls of the hospital i work in… guess this might explain it!!!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ever since Mapmyfitness updated a month or so ago I have problems with mileage, nothing about where or how I walk has changed and there are some criticisms on the app store.

I am going to change to Endomondo as that is great for running.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    First 2 walks it measured well then last 2x it quit or didn't work at all. I've been taking a digital kitchen timer along so I can keep up with the minutes at least.