Comfort Eating Strategies

Cc215
Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
Help!!

I'm having the day from hell. I'm currently fighting the urge to comfort eat. Nothing sounds more appealling right now than drowning myself in a tub of ice cream and downing a bottle of wine.

I don't want to do this - doing this over an exended period of bad days seriously didn't help with gaining all the extra weight in the first place.

What do you do to stop yourself wollowing in a pile of junk food?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    get out and get moving. exercise is the best way to kill hunger/cravings
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Go for a walk, run a bath, do something else with my hands (eg. sewing), get on here and look at the success story pics, go and look at my stomach in the mirror (usually puts me off eating for at least a few minutes!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    deal with the issues that are making you want to comfort eat.... if its something that you cant sort or fix, then just realise there are things we can't do anything about, but eating more ice cream than fits in your calories wont help either.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    I do it then I cut back and try to do at least an hour of cardio the next day when i'm not having a day from hell. It usually balances out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    First of all, you might not need to respond to everything that you feel is coming at you today. Ignore some of it and put it off, let someone else deal with it . . . . .you get the point. We have to make ourselves number one. That is how we lose weight.
    Go for a walk. If you can't do that, sit in a quiet place for ten minutes and take slow breaths in and out.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Tell yourself that the cravings of this moment are NOT worth the goal you're trying to achieve.... Follow all the good advice from the posters so far and get out and away from the temptation! WALK, shop, swim, go volunteer somewhere for a few hours... anything to get you past it. You'll feel so much better and relieved once it passes, and you'll have done something very productive in the meantime, which will also be a great NSV!! :flowerforyou:
  • DarHodg
    DarHodg Posts: 2
    I stopped buying junk food and replaced it all with healthier versions. Instead of chocolate bars, I bought Weight Watchers slices and Muller Light Yoghurts.

That way, I can "overeat" if I'm having a bad day but still maintain my calories!

:)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    The feeling of relief you will get from the ice cream and the wine will not change a thing. You need to learn to disrupt that pattern of linking feeling down, anxious, depressed, etc, with food. It's a deadly combination.

Get up, do something to take your mind off overeating. Exercise, call a friend, read, work in the yard - just do something to break the momentum of the need to overeat.

Only you can do this. You are strong enough to do it and when you resist the urge to binge - that feeling will be the first step in breaking the pattern.

Good luck.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Exercise is my outlet. If I can't get outside for a walk cleaning the house works also.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Go exercise and relieve your stress. IF you still feel like you need comfort in these things,

Portion it
    Log it
    Own it

Tomorrow will be better. :flowerforyou:
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Thanks everyone - so far I've managed to stay away from the freezer by losing myself in a few posts on here.

But there are still several hours left in the day - I'm sure that more than one of your suggestions will be helpful in keeping it that way!
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    While I can't say that I have indulged in some ice cream, mainly because I am lactose intolerant, I'd find a healthier alternative and keep on hand if possible. At work I keep frozen greek yogurt in the freezer just in case I have that insatiable sweet tooth or I grab a nice glass of cold water or make some hot tea with zero cal sweetener. If I am at home and feel the need to indulge I do some housework or play a video game with my daughter, night time is by far the worst time for me to be sitting still--if I allow myself I will just graze on food all night and then head to bed only to wake up the next day with a food hangover and upset stomach! So we head outside for some walking and talking. As for the wine, I only drink it when I am in the presence of good company, which isn't often for me, I shared a bottle of wine with my mom on Saturday night--we didn't even make it through half the bottle--thank goodness!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    I grab my walking shoes, music, water bottle, and go to the gym or walk outside. It also helps to talk over your issues with the people you trust. Unfortunately, life will throw us sh$t to deal with from time to time. We need to learn not to punish ourselves with food during these times and find constructive ways of dealing with it.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Find healthy replacement items- frozen grapes instead of a popsicle, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.

Go find a new park and wander aimlessly.
  • amethyst7986
    I stopped buying junk food and replaced it all with healthier versions. Instead of chocolate bars, I bought Weight Watchers slices and Muller Light Yoghurts.

That way, I can "overeat" if I'm having a bad day but still maintain my calories!

:)

^^ This is what I had to do for myself at work-- keep it on hand to help make better choices.
  • amethyst7986
    Thanks everyone - so far I've managed to stay away from the freezer by losing myself in a few posts on here.

But there are still several hours left in the day - I'm sure that more than one of your suggestions will be helpful in keeping it that way!

I'll be honest there are days when I just want to eat, eat and eat more--but lately I have been able to ignore or displace those urges by reading some here on MFP. There are so many great success stories that after I read them I no longer have the urge to eat but I have gained more motivation to continue on my path! Good Luck to you.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Its difficult to go from a habitual comfort eater to not doing it so much or at all.
    I used to be that classic person that would feel miserable about myself and to make myself better (i thought) I would go and buy chocolate and crisps and biscuits and eat them along at home. It never did me any good but I couldn't stop it.

Then I just made the decision I wasn't going to do it anymore. Sure, I was going to eat chocolate if I wanted it, and enjoy a packet of crisps with lunch, but that I wasn't going to eat, on my own, to make myself feel better.

After 6 weeks, there have been times that I've struggled to know what to do with myself, but I've gone for a walk, read a book, gone swimming- just kept busy and active.

Also try writing down what you are feeling if you want to comfort eat- sometimes you are bored, upset, annoyed or whatever and writing it down just helps.

Good luck