Why am I not losing???

Options
I've been at this 150% for 3 weeks now. I eat 1440 calories a day - watch all my macros, I've been eating a PERFECT clean, healthy diet (I didn't always). I take a multivitamin and fish oil everyday. I work out at the gym 4 days a week - running and weightlifting. I horseback ride once a week, and hike and work out on the weekends (recently hiked Katahdin OWWW). The scale has NOT budged. Well, that's not true. My starting weight was 178.5. Now I'm at 181. Then tomorrow I'll be at 180, then 182, then 179 or 178 again. What is going on??? I'm so frustrated. I certainly feel better, but the scale isn't doing me any justice. What's happening? I'm 21, 5'3" and in good health besides my weight. Desperately need advice before I crack.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    well 3 weeks isnt a whole lot of time, you may just be retaining water so that your fat loss is being masked, but open up your diary so we can get a better idea of what your eating and how your measuring it
  • koaliebear195
    koaliebear195 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I should also note I've been tracking with LoseIt, not MyFitnessPal... But I think I'll switch back because LoseIt doesn't have forums like this:)
  • koaliebear195
    Options
    I drink 4-5 bottles of water a day (120 oz) Could that be an issue?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on.............nothing happens overnight or in 3 weeks.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do your meals have a lot of salt in them? It could be causing water retention.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I should also note I've been tracking with LoseIt, not MyFitnessPal... But I think I'll switch back because LoseIt doesn't have forums like this:)

Do you weigh everything?
  • BigT555
    Options
    more water is better for the most part. how are you measuring your food intake? many people vastly overestimate how much they are eating even if they are trying to count calories.

check out this post on how to track accurately, i refer to it all the time; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+accurately
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I drink 4-5 bottles of water a day (120 oz) Could that be an issue?

No, in fact that's great! With the exercise you're doing, you should be drinking water all the time. If anything, staying adequately hydrated helps you to guard against water retention.

My guess would be that you are either not logging your food accurately so have understimated it, or are overestimating your exercise calorie burn.
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would watch your salt intake. IMO the biggest enemy is not fat nor sugar but Salt.
  • koaliebear195
    Options
    Thank you!! I just purchased a food scale so hopefully that helps..
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Do you follow other metrics? Like your waist/tigh/hips or simply how tight your clothes are? When I loose weight, it's usually on the scale one week and on the tape measure the next, rarelly both at the same time.
  • BigT555
    Options
    I would watch your salt intake. IMO the biggest enemy is not fat nor sugar but Salt.
    salt just causes water retention though, it doesnt impede fat loss. if you have a high sodium diet and are in a calorie deficit your overall trend of weight would still decrease
  • kevinuc74
    kevinuc74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Food scale will help big time. I love using mine. You can get very close to your actual intake.

How many calories are you losing when you work out? Are you taking this into account for calories in vs out and what your net is? It is possible that you're not eating enough either and your body is going into starvation mode. You need to tinker with it in the beginning and find what works for your body. We're all different.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I just purchased a food scale so hopefully that helps..

This is a VERY good place to start. Try weighing your food for the next four weeks, and report back if still no change in weight.
  • koaliebear195
    Options
    I only eat 1440 no matter how much I work out - I don't eat back calories I've burned!
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have the same problem But I lost 16 pounds the first 4 weeks then the Past 3 nothing. Make sure you measure your body. Even tho I lost no weight I have lost 3 inches since I started-1.5 in the last 3 weeks. So measure too your BODY.
  • thenaj17
    thenaj17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Possible that you're underestimating how many calories you're consuming as is the mistake my wife made at first. You have to track literally every single thing you eat or drink. Coffee can be 10-20 calories depending on milk.

You can also make the mistake of overestimating how many you burn during exercise so i always underestimate slightly.

Like Big T said, 3 weeks isn't long either and with all the exercise you're doing, it could be muscle gains and it will take longer to see weight come off.
  • ppelleti
    ppelleti Posts: 13
    Options
    I know how you feel. This is day 11 for me & I feel frustrated with the #'s on my scale. Think I'll try a different class at the gym today. Most important we have committed to a healthier lifestyle. I think I'll buy a food scale. It sounds like a more accurate way to measure our food. Stay in touch & be good to yourself!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Possible that you're underestimating how many calories you're consuming as is the mistake my wife made at first. You have to track literally every single thing you eat or drink. Coffee can be 10-20 calories depending on milk.

You can also make the mistake of overestimating how many you burn during exercise so i always underestimate slightly.

Like Big T said, 3 weeks isn't long either and with all the exercise you're doing, it could be muscle gains and it will take longer to see weight come off.

Highly doubt it is muscle gains.

OP:
    If you using the MFP method, it expects you to eat your exercise calories. (at least a portion of them to account for overestimation) Start weighing everything and log accurately for 6-8 weeks and if nothing changes, re-assess.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Do you weigh everything?

This. How accurate are you in your food logging? (note: "a cup" of vegetables is not accurate. Everything solid needs to be weighed.)