Your strategy when on holiday

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    i walked miles around and around the pool while reading,

How??

The holiday I have planned involves a lot of lying down, reading and scribbling. I think we can find time to do some walking too.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My first time going all-inc this year and for 2 weeks! There is no way I'm going to PIG OUT, but I won't be eating like a budgie either. I'm planning on going to the gym and/or running in the morning before brekkie. Breakfast can be poached eggs, cooked hams and fruit (yum). Spend a lot of the day doing watersports & swimming. Salad for lunch, and loads of it! but minus the mayo/creamy stuff I usually love. Going to drink plenty of booze, and dinner can be steak/fish/chicken/seafood with plenty of veg & salad which I love!

I am a bit scared of over-indulging, but am determined to hit the balance of not missing out on any fun but still being careful!

My mantra will be DO NOT FILL GUILTY! It's only 2 weeks! :)
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Disney vacation as I write this. My question for others: how can you call your "weight loss journey" a "lifestyle change" if you "forget about logging and calories" while you are on vacation? It doesn't make sense, the two are mutually exclusive. If you are changing the way you eat and exercise, then it shouldn't matter if you are home or if you are on vacation. I'm trying to incorporate my changes while here. There is a fitness center at Wilderness Lodge, I'm using it every morning. I get up earlier than the family, do my workout (they have Mickey Mouse weights!), then go off to a park for the day.

If you can't stick with your goals whole you are away from home, regardless of the reason (I.e., vacation, business trip, etc.), then you haven't changed your " lifestyle". How can you really expect to succeed?
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1) Weigh myself on the morning of departure and take a note of it

2) Forget counting calories & logging food

3) Eat crap

4) Swim

5) Drink alcohol

6) Have at least one bag of fish and chips

7) Have ice cream walking along the beach

8) Walk loads

9) Create memories that last longer than the extra lb's I might gain during my holiday

10) Weigh myself the day after I get back from holiday

This is a lifestyle and life changes, I have spent money and invested time on organising my holiday and I intend to enjoy every second and every mouthful of food whilst I'm away..... 7 days away in not going to undo 20 months of hard (but very pleasurable) work.....

xXx
    #9 is pretty much the key.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a diet break. They are good to do - I took one over Christmas and ended up staying the same weight. It's not that I'm going crazy eating or drinking, as I've learned good habits over the past six months. But I won't be logging. As I'm heading to the States and most likely to eat out quite a bit (some time with family), I will keep an eye on my portion sizes. I eat what I want now, though perhaps a bit healthier than I typically do on holiday, so it won't be a major change. I'll also be making sure to do exercises - bodyweight and cardio.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it.

Vacation is meant for fun and relaxation.

I went to Disney/Orlando last December. I enjoyed myself and had fun. I did log, but it wasn't in any way accurate, and I didn't care. I was 'mindful' of my food choices, but that didn't stop me from having something like and ice cream covered brownie at Seaworld either. I just didn't go crazy.

After all the walking and and such, I came home 4 lbs lighter.

I'm off to Disney in Sept. I'm not going to worry about my calories, i want to enjoy myself. Plus with all the walking i expect to be doing, hopefully it won't cause too much of a gain. But if it does, it does.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Am doing a charity event, climbing 3 mountains and cycling 550 miles for my week long holiday this year. Will eat pretty much whatever I like.

If I was having a "proper" relaxing holiday I'd just chill out, not worry about it, enjoy my holiday and getting to spend time with the people I love.
  • logg1e
    Options
    If you can't stick with your goals whole you are away from home, regardless of the reason (I.e., vacation, business trip, etc.), then you haven't changed your " lifestyle". How can you really expect to succeed?

Well that's cheered me up.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Well that's cheered me up.

Lol :-)

I am away from home a lot for work and manage to eat well and exercise with no problems and yes if I used being away as an excuse to slack then my lifestyle might suffer.

BUT there is no way I'm giving up ice creams and virgin pina coladas on my holiday. 1 week a year is not going to mean I fail. 1 week a year is not going to make my triathlon times slower. I will have 1 week a year where I am totally relaxed and not worrying about food or training. Happy happy days :-)

P.S have lost weight and maintained it for ~5 years now so I'd say I was pretty successful despite my holidays :-)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm going to Europe for 2 weeks and I'm not going to log anything. I'm not going to overdo it, either, but I do plan on trying local dishes. It helps that we are staying with friends and won't be eating out all the time. Hopefully we'll be doing a lot of walking too because I am also taking a break from running while on vacation.
  • logg1e
    Options
    How come you can't log whilst in "Europe" Daisy?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'll be going to Orlando for a week in October with my husband. This will be our last pre-baby vacation. I plan on working my butt off to look as hot as I possibly can when October comes around, I plan on getting a Brazilian wax a couple days before we leave, and I plan on eating whatever the *kitten* I want.

I'm not going to eat until I feel ill or purposefully choose high-calorie foods just for the hell of it, but I have no plans to log while I'm on vacation. Yes, I'll pack on a bunch of water weight and maybe even 1-2 lbs of actual fat, but I can shed that in the 2-3 weeks afterward. No problemo. We'll only have a small fridge and a microwave in the room, so we'll be consuming most, if not all, meals out. I'll be damned if I'm going to stress about going over my calories on vacation. You gotta live, people! A week isn't going to make or break you.

I do plan on bringing my pull-up bar and my 20-lb dumbbells, and I'm sure I'll feel some guilt about skipping an entire week of lifting, but I suspect these things won't even be used. By then, a week's break from lifting will do me some good. I'll be doing plenty of walking at the parks, and plenty of nookie in the hotel (gotta put that Brazilian to use!), so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'm hoping to be at maintenance by then anyway, so a couple weeks of cutting after we get back won't hurt me.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just came back from an all-inclusive in Cuba 2 weeks ago. Didn't log but tried to make good healthy choices most of the time. Unfortunately I lost control on portions and on desserts by the end of the week. I hardly could stop myself to eat.
    I gained a lot of water weight. When I left I was 132. Came back at 145, was back to 135 after 4 days. Then, today, 5 days later, I am back to 132.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

It really depends on what your goals are. Plus, goals change.
    As for lifestyle changes, you really have to look at the bigger picture. Are a couple of weeks out of the year (vacation, holidays, parties, etc) really going to have such a huge impact? No. It's not like they're going to undo all of your hard work. So, on those days, you enjoy yourself eating at maintenance, or maybe even a little over. And then you just get right back to doing what you were doing afterwards. Those few weeks or days are a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your life.

Like I said, when I was on vacation, I was mindful, but I didn't deny myself anything. I didn't go completely off the deep end and go overboard. But I wasn't 100% accurate either, and that's okay. It's fine to have days like that every once in a while. You can't enjoy life being super anal about every little thing. :flowerforyou:
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm on a Disney vacation as I write this. My question for others: how can you call your "weight loss journey" a "lifestyle change" if you "forget about logging and calories" while you are on vacation? It doesn't make sense, the two are mutually exclusive. If you are changing the way you eat and exercise, then it shouldn't matter if you are home or if you are on vacation. I'm trying to incorporate my changes while here. There is a fitness center at Wilderness Lodge, I'm using it every morning. I get up earlier than the family, do my workout (they have Mickey Mouse weights!), then go off to a park for the day.

To me, a lifestyle change implies that i won't be counting calories forever. The point is that i learn the right kinds of foods, and the right portion sizes for me to remain healthy. Thus, i can take a week vacation, know what my limits are, perhaps enjoy some indulging, and return home from to "real life" and continue on with my health journey.

Its not that you are abandoning everything for your whole vacation. Hopefully you have learned enough to know what treats you can afford and what you cannot afford. Enjoy your vacations, just don't go crazy and stuff every thing you can see right down your throat. Even if you gain a pound of two on your trip, your lifestyle change will help you lose that weight in 1 to 2 weeks.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    For those lucky enough to have time off and going somewhere nice, what strategies have you considered, which have you opted for and why?

Also, anyone want to share the benefit of their experience and what they'd do differently next time?
    Enjoy it and not worry much about calories.

With that said though, I will usually skip a meal and a snack per day so I can eat something tasty that day for whatever we have all set up.

Just got back from a week on the lake. Ate like a king almost every night...came back the same weight.
    Mostly because I was active alot, and I would skip BF or lunch and a snack just by being too busy
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I log in and keep my diary but that's just habit, I just go and enjoy myself, there's no way I'm going to put the 80-odd lbs back on over that time, at most I usually come back with a 5lb gain, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing at all
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "strategy" while on holiday. I eat whatever I want, as much as I want, and move on.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I go away next week for a 10 day all inclusive beach holiday, I'm not going to log anything, I'm going to try and make healthy choices and watch my portion sizes, but at the end of the day I'm on holiday and I intend to enjoy myself, I plan to do lots of walking on the beach and swimming in the pool for exercise.

Last year I took a similar approach (2 weeks in Florida) and I only put on 4 lbs which I soon lost when I got home.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I'm going to eat what I want, not everything in sight.

My "lifestyle change" includes being able to judge and control my portions with or without measuring cups or apps, or worrying about what my food may have been cooked with.

I'd rather remember the fun I have on a vacation, not the time spent worrying about what I may or may not be eating. (see #9 in the post above).