My kids eat my food....

Options

Replies

• Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My kids can have the same foods I'm having if they want, I'll make them some too, but if they choose to eat something else for breakfast and then want some of mine, the answer is No. Partly because they already ate and don't need to eat my food too, and because I'm not supposed to share with them. Suppressed immune system + little kids germs isn't a good combo.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old and now 1 year old are super into "sharing" food. If I am having something I know they will ask for I pre portion out a little side of it purposely for them. Say I'm having 300g of strawberries and some yogurt on top I would measure mine out and put a couple extra cut strawberries on the side that I can give them when they ask. I figure its better than mommy not sharing like they're told they should.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    They are 4 (twin girls).

What usually happens is that I make them what they ask for, and then I make what I want....then we get in the car to go to daycare/work....then they decide they want I have either in addition to, or instead of what they had originally asked for.

I can make more - but then if they don't eat it (Murphy's Law....) then I usually end up eating that too....

Fix their food, and your food. Make them eat their food, and you eat your food.

"No" is an acceptable word to use with your kids. If you don't learn to do it now, you are going to be up shiite creek when they become teenagers.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    then they decide
    well_theres_your_problem-56537.jpg
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My daughter (she's 5) actually isn't the problem. My boyfriend is. He's ALWAYS trying to swipe my food and let me tell you, telling a 27 year old man no is MUCH harder than telling a 5 year old.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    2h5jw1v.gif

Hahaha my thoughts exactly!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My kids are 11 and 15. They eat what I cook or they cook for themselves, and when they were little, they did without.

Don't make separate meals for the kids. Feed them what you are eating. If they want to be stubborn and skip a meal, fine, but they won't do that often.

You are spoiling these kids by giving them what they want. It will be a big problem for you when they are older if you don't stop doing this now.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just say no. "This is my breakfast. You have your own." End of discussion.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    2h5jw1v.gif

Hahaha my thoughts exactly!

My thoughts as well!! Seriously.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    make them their own -__-
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My kids are 11 and 15. They eat what I cook or they cook for themselves, and when they were little, they did without.

Don't make separate meals for the kids. Feed them what you are eating. If they want to be stubborn and skip a meal, fine, but they won't do that often.

You are spoiling these kids by giving them what they want. It will be a big problem for you when they are older if you don't stop doing this now.

This is what I did from the start. They quickly learned to eat what I made or do without (which rarely happened).
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    wittysinglegirlcomebacks3.gif
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just tell them no. It's not like you're refusing to feed them.
  • shammathews
    shammathews Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I put "my" foods on a shelf and tell them it's off limits. My 10 year old is the worst about this. Just the other day I put a protein bar in the fridge and he assumed since it wasn't on the shelf he could eat it. I was irritated but reminded him that I buy them all kinds of things to eat and that my stuff is mine.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the "just say no" people have never had a 4-year-old that wants to try their veggie omelet or other healthy dish. :laugh:

Or a child, for that matter.

I would give them bites freely. It comes out in the wash when you inevitably eat bites off their food. :happy:
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    I'm thinking the "just say no" people have never had a 4-year-old that wants to try their veggie omelet or other healthy dish. :laugh:

Or a child, for that matter.

I would give them bites freely. It comes out in the wash when you inevitably eat bites off their food. :happy:

I might not have kids but it ain't that hard to say no to one and mean it. I've been around plenty of parents who know how to use that word and it is quite effective.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have 2 - 19yo boys in my house, and I prepare all my food for the next day the evening before..... It used to be if I told them a certain shelf of the fridge was off-limits they would leave it alone, then they "forgot" which shelf it was. So then I put labels on my food.... that slows them down a little! UGH. I swear they eat everything that doesn't bite them first, and sometimes I wonder if they would eat that too!
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do say no to my kids, and they do have boundaries....I just pick my battles....

Thanks for all the advice.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly spicy foods so I don't have this problem at all. Add a little hot sauce to your eggs and they'll stay clear. Unless, of course, they like spice too.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    When did parents lose the ability to say no? Is this somehow considered traumatizing to the little darlings so its no longer done?

Agree.

I tell my boys, no!!! :noway: