Any bourbon or Scotch fans?

Options

Replies

• IRLACTCYD
    IRLACTCYD Posts: 10
    Options
    Glenlivet, preferably 21, but even 12 will do. However, sometimes I just buy Clan MacGregor. Yes, it's cheap. Yes, I am ashamed (well, not really).
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Only for cooking or medicinal purposes ;)

Laphroaig-Single-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-10-Years-Old.jpg

gag.

I'm a fan of Woodford Reserve
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    The Glenlivet is the only thing you need.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Scotch no, bourbon yes.

Beam, Woodford, Pappy. Yes, yes, yes.
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Woodford or Blantons Bourbons
  • sixout
    Options
    Lagavula reminds me of Ron Swanson, which isn't a bad thing.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    1_119541750_3.jpg

mmm mmm good
  • sixout
    Options
    get some whiskey stones, those things are great. don't water down your drink, and doesn't make it too cold.
  • TCJewelz
    TCJewelz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maker's Mark. I'm always disappointed when I try something else. I haven't gotten into scotch. Any beginner suggestions?
  • sixout
    Options
    Don't go beginner. If you're going Scotch get The Glenlivet, Lagavula or Scapa.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I prefer Irish Whiskey

2 Gingers is my current choice. I also like Jameson quite a lot.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for cheaper stuff overall; I do not have enough of sophisticated palate to enjoy the expensive stuff.

Johnny Walker Red. I also like Jim Beam (the white label) and, lately, bottom shelf Evan Williams. Saving a lot of money with that! I think EW, especially when mixed with some coke or water on crushed ice is quite good. My grandmother sometimes insists I have a drink with her and it is almost always Dewar's White label. She is 102 years old, so it must do her some good.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like all sorts of whiskeys... Jameson is my go to for a shot. If I am going to be sipping I like to drink Highland Park I normally get the 12 year old but do not mind treating myself to 18 year old from time to time.

For something a bit different check out the offerings from the Catskills Distilling Company... they do a bunch of small batch whiskeys including one made primarily with Buckwheat.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Crown Royal here.

Crown Royal or Crown Reserve is my go to whiskey but it is not a bourbon or a scotch.

I really have a hard time with Scotches. I get a wierd after taste that is not pleasant at all.

For a bourbon; So far I perfer Woodford Reserve or Marker's 46

I am in the process of setting up a Bourbon Bar in my Media room. My collection so is:

Wild Turkey 81
    Wild Turkey 101
    Elijah Craig
    Buffalo Trace

Plan on adding additional bottles as I go along for awards of making goals.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love Lagavulin 16. Bought a friend a bottle of Oban Distillers Edition and had a few drinks with him (it was fantastic). My favourite budget scotch is the Bowmore 12.

Oh yeah bourbon, I haven't met one I don't like yet. I have gone through a lot of Makers Mark though.
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bourbon = Woodford Reserve
    Scotch = Aberlour A'Bunadh (cask strength)

And I'm off to Scotland in October for a Whisky Tour!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I love Scotch! My favorites are all Speyside Lowland Single Malts because they have crisp, clear flavors and fruity notes without too much pete or smokiness. Overly smoky highland scotches aren't my favorite but I still prefer them to bourbon. When I drink in quantity I get a blended scotch usually because it's so much cheaper. My favorite scotch for getting drunk on is Ole' Crofter. It looks really crappy in the bottle and it's pretty cheap but you would really be surprised by how good it is.
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are great whiskeys out there, but for me it's the nectar of the Gods.... Glenmorangie.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    get some whiskey stones, those things are great. don't water down your drink, and doesn't make it too cold.

I hear some people gripe about the stones changing the flavor of the whisky, not to mention they don't do a good job of chilling the drink... besides.. Real gentlemen drink it neat.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Johnny Walker Red has been my go to for years. It was getting kind of expensive until I started trying to lose weight. I started measuring it and realised I was doing a four ounce pour. My kids alway bring me a single malt when they come to visit so I am always trying something different.