Subway

Options
I used to be an "Atkins Man".. I was all about Atkins and no one could tell me anything else. Atkins WAS the ONLY way to lose weight for me... who could blame me? I lost 100 lbs in 7 months on Atkins. I didn't understand, at the time, that I was losing muscle mass, not fat. Now I understand and I will never do Atkins again.. that being said...

Now that I can eat bread again, I was wondering what people think of Subway?

I eat there almost daily now. I either get a Roasted Chicken Salad with pickles and onion with Fat Free Ranch.. (130 calories) or an 6" Whole Wheat Roasted Chicken sub with pickles, onion, lettuce and black pepper. So far, this is great for me but I know in time, I will need to change it up for the sake of variety.

So, does anyone else rely on Subway as their one and only fast food source. I have tried to cut out ALL fast food while losing weight but Subway seems like the only real choice I have now.. as for fast food...

What do you get a Subway and is there any other place that offers REAL healthy choices???

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've had Taco Bell's fresco tacos. For one fresco chicken soft taco- 170 calories. Having 2 of these fills me up now.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    i use to work at subway, there is many different sandwiches you can do that are "healthy" like the turkey, ham, ect
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I've had Taco Bell's fresco tacos. For one fresco chicken soft taco- 170 calories. Having 2 of these fills me up now.

What about the Sodium at Taco Bell? I know normally, in most things, it is very high there. Do you count Sodium?
  • whistler86
    Options
    I rely on subway a lot, and it's one of the better options out there...if I didnt eat subway I would be eating nothing but salads...It's a good break from the usual.
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    i use to work at subway, there is many different sandwiches you can do that are "healthy" like the turkey, ham, ect

I love the Oven Roasted Chicken right now but in time, I know I will need to switch it up. Thanks for the advice.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I only eat Subway on the weekends (I work in a retail store with no microwave or fridge so I can't brown bag it and there is a Subway right next door.). I get the roasted chicken breast on wheat, no cheese, pickles only and seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano. It gets a little boring, but since I only eat it on a Sunday that I work it's no biggie. I try to stay away from the processed lunch meats. I have considered trying the buffalo chicken sandwich. I have also heard great things about their breakfasts.
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I rely on subway a lot, and it's one of the better options out there...if I didnt eat subway I would be eating nothing but salads...It's a good break from the usual.

I love how, at least here, Subway offers a full menu even in the morning. I work 3rd shift and this is great for me.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I get the sweet onion teriyaki on whole wheat, toasted and no cheese. its somewhere around 280 calories? pretty good. :)
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love Subway. I usually get a 6" veggie delight, all the veggies (except olives and pickles--trying to cut back on the sodium), no cheese, with honey mustard sauce. The mustard is strong enough that I don't even miss the cheese. If I had more money I'd eat at Subway a whole lot more.
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I only eat Subway on the weekends (I work in a retail store with no microwave or fridge so I can't brown bag it and there is a Subway right next door.). I get the roasted chicken breast on wheat, no cheese, pickles only and seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano. It gets a little boring, but since I only eat it on a Sunday that I work it's no biggie. I try to stay away from the processed lunch meats. I have considered trying the buffalo chicken sandwich. I have also heard great things about their breakfasts.

Never thought of Oregano. I think I will try that tonight before I go into work. I also skip the cheese. It is a great way to avoid extra calories .
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    when i go to subway i either get (mainly) a veggie delite with half honey mustard and half chipole southwest. or sometimes a sweet onion teriyaki or tuna.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just had subway for lunch! I get a veggie on flatbread, 6', lettuce, tomato, pickle, lite mayo, and mustard!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i like subway .it dose work good with a low cal diet turkey on wheat with pepper jack instead of mayo with lots of vegs. went theri last week but i had a big pastrami could have had a whopper for that choice
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I love Subway. I usually get a 6" veggie delight, all the veggies (except olives and pickles--trying to cut back on the sodium), no cheese, with honey mustard sauce. The mustard is strong enough that I don't even miss the cheese. If I had more money I'd eat at Subway a whole lot more.

I doubt I could handle that. lol. I need my meat.. plus, I HATE mustard..ugh.. It is interesting you bring up sodium. I have an interesting story about that, it would be more suited for a blog and I'm pressed for time right now but keep an eye on my page and I will post it. Sodium is basically the reason why I decided to go back on a diet. It is SHOCKING how much sodium is out there. lol
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live, but if you have Carl's Jr where you live they have a BBQ Chicken sandwich. It is so delicious and 380 calories, and 7 grams of fat. Of course the sodium is high at 1010 mg, but the 6" Turkey and ham at Subway is 1140. Now if you do not live where they have Carls, they might have the same sandwich at Hardees.

Edited to add that they do have this sandwich at Hardees. Also I wanted to say that the caloric info about is from MFP.
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    Just had subway for lunch! I get a veggie on flatbread, 6', lettuce, tomato, pickle, lite mayo, and mustard!

I can't stand Mayo, it literally makes me sick so I don't have to worry about that, I also hate mustard. I have been thinking about trying the flatbread but so far, I am sticking with the Whole Wheat.
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I am not sure where you live, but if you have Carl's Jr where you live they have a BBQ Chicken sandwich. It is so delicious and 380 calories, and 7 grams of fat. Of course the sodium is high at 1010 mg, but the 6" Turkey and ham at Subway is 1140. Now if you do not live where they have Carls, they might have the same sandwich at Hardees.

Yeah, there are no Carl's Jr. places around me. Hardees? Yes.. I live in upper northeast Tennessee, around the Tn/Va border.
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I avoid the bread at subway. I've found the grilled chicken Go wraps at wendys are incredibly delicious and healthy. Oh and just order it without sauce.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I love their flatbreads and I love the fact that you can eat a cold sandwich or get it toasted, whatever you're in the mood for!!!
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    subway sounds good now