Are MFP exercise calories accurate?

Options
I am always shocked ate the amount of calories burned when I enter in the time I spent doing an exercise. I would love to think that MFP is correct because it means I can eat more, but I'm worried that if I go off of their measurements I might actually gain weight. Anyone know if there is a better place to get this info?

Replies

• PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's only as accurate as the people using this site are. We're the ones that are putting this info in! I have compared the amount of calories burned from any cardio machine I use or my wii fit & so far it seems to be pretty accurate. It's usually not off by more than 5 calories.
  • naomihodgkins
    Options
    Hi, I was thinking this too as was shocked by doing a gentle swim how many calories i burnt!???? not sure sorry :)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    It is a guess. The only way to get the closest to what YOUR burning is to wear a HR Monitor with a chest strap. Everyone burns different calories. I usually say comparted to my own HR monitor MFP is about 100-200 calories higher. So assume that they are higher. The only way to know what you burned is to Invest in a HR monitor. Check out Polarusa.com
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure if they're accurate, but I try to stay within the calories alotted for the day without adding in the exercise calories. For instance, I'm alloted 1380 calories per day. If I exercise and burn 200 calories, I don't add that to make 1580 food calories for the day. Instead I (try to) stick with the 1380 food calories for the day so that I will lose more weight.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For some things it can be somewhat inflated. But a lot of machines can under-count them. It depends a LOT on how in-or-out of shape you are, your bmi, the intensity of your workout, etc. I usually just decrease the time of my workout by 5-10 minutes (ie I actually workout 45 min, but enter 35), depending on how long it is, to find a middle ground between what MFP has and what my machine says. It's working so far, as I'm losing about what I should be. I'd like to get a HRM but have to wait til the budget allows it.

But, as mentioned, a HRM will be the most accurate.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think it can only be a rough estimate really. :happy:
  • narrowdoor
    narrowdoor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are factors involved, age, weight, level of intensity (easy, moderate, difficult). For example I did an exercise video yesterday that should have warrented me a 450 cal. burn but I know I did not use the same intensity as the instructor so I knocked off about 100 calories from the MFP # to be safe, I also try to stay a little under the alloted caloric intake,
  • LdyInRed
    Options
    I noticed that too. I think the entry is only as accurate as the person (s) who entered it, or at least that's my thinking. It does allow you to click on the data and change it. I noticed when I do 30 minutes on a stationary bike it says I burned 340 cal. but my machine said I only burned about 140, so I change the entry on here to what my machine says. I would love for my machine to be wrong and the entry on here correct, so that way I'm actually burning more and not even realize it! YAY! lol :smile:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It depends; as other posters have mentioned, there are many variables. I have a HRM and have found the full range:
    >MFP is more or less accurate for jogging and elliptical
    > MFP strength training calories are lower than what I burn
    > MFP overestimates swimming calories
  • Amber824
    Amber824 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As with any type of exercise, everyone's personal measure will always be different. Age, metabolic rate, medical conditions, etc will always play a part in how many calories are actually burned.
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is your best bet. They're pricey but a good investment, and they spur you on! I do think the cals on MFP are exaggerated.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I recommend an HRM also. I got a nice one for under $50 on Amazon. I think it is closer than the machine or MFP, but I still knock off about a quarter of the calories measured because I do eat back most of my calories, and I don't want to over-eat. I find that MFP is low on the aerobics, while my HRM is high. I think this is because of the interval style of my class, as well as how hard I push myself.
    Two people, nearly the same height, weight and age, can take the same class and burn very different amounts due to the effort they put into it. I work harder at trying to get the moves right, and put extra muscle into it, than other people in my class, so it doesn't surprise me that I get a higher calorie burn.
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question! I have been wondering the same thing. If my machine says I burned 150 calories, MFP may have almost double that! So, in an abundance of caution, I reduce it to the amount that the machine says. It can't hurt doing it that way. I'm scared that accepting MFP numbers may cause me to go over.

So, the answer to your question ..... I don't know either.
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio, walking and running wise. I always use a good quality pedometer and measure it against what MFP says. Calories burned are always within 10 calories. I always choose the lesser number.

Timex also puts out an excellent watch with a built in heart rate monitor which a lot of my friends who are doing marathons use. It is called the IRONMAN® ROAD TRAINER™ Digital Heart Rate Monitor. They usually retail from $125 all the way up to over $400.00. I plan on purchasing one myself just so I can keep track of my exercise better. The watch also does tell you how many calories you have burned.

It may very well be a smart investment and on the plus side you will always make sure you are on time when meeting up your working out mates.
  • alliegator89
    alliegator89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really can't afford a heart monitor. I have been trying to make sure I don't eat back ALL of the exercise calories just in case MFP exaggerates. Hopefully I will see the weight come off!