Exercises for a beginner?

Options
What exercises would you recommend for a beginner? I heard that walking is effective but I would also like to like prevent loose skin while losing weight! What would you recommend? :)

Replies

• qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started with swimming, water walking and treading water then gradually over a few weeks moved to the gym and onto exercise bike, treadmill, eliptical and some light weights.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Your goals are to lose weight and prevent loose skin while improving your activity level?

Do you have access to a gym or weights? A progressive resistance program is highly recommended to maintain your muscle mass (so you look good when you achieve your goal). Weights will get you there the fastest, but you can also do body weight training or calisthenics.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I started weight training at around age 16 off and on not serious. I used to play basketball all the time.
  • Fatimahalak
    Fatimahalak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym but I do have access to weights! My only fear is using them the ..wrong way I guess? I don't want to end up injuring myself.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of videos on youtube and other places that show correct form.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym but I do have access to weights! My only fear is using them the ..wrong way I guess? I don't want to end up injuring myself.

There are a number of online videos that can help get you started. If you have somebody experienced who can help you get the hang of things, that's even better.

My understanding is that the Stronglifts 5X5 program, which is free - just google it - includes youtube videos. That's a simple, beginner program that will hit every muscle in your body.

Here is another great resource: http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html