Healthy Camping Foods?

Options
Going to be going to an outdoor music festival for a long weekend soon and looking for some easy to make but still healthy ideas to keep me full and not feeling like garbage all weekend.

Any suggestions for easy to make / premade food for camping that's not going to be a total hassle with limited cooking abilities? (Note, I'll have a BBQ but no campfires allowed :( )

Thanks!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Apples, lemons, bananas, oranges and veggies (cucumbers, . . ), crackers, Parmalat, dried fruit, nuts, crackers, jelly and almond butter, canned or jarred meats, canned or boxed soups, coffee, tea, . . .
    Go to https://www.pinterest.com for some foil pocket meals to cook on the grill. You can probably cook rice and oatmeal on the grill.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Burgers, hot dogs, eggs, bacon, coffee...
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My bf says he eats PB&J all week at Burning Man.. lol
  • kelly92127
    Options
    We camp a lot, and I get the pre packaged salads from Trader Joe's, great for lunches.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Veggies to put on the barbecue? Like a courgette/onion/pepper kebab type idea.

Pitta breads that can be grilled on the barbecue.....chicken breast...
    You can also cook beans in a pot, or you can get healthier bacons/sausages etc...

There are plenty of options.

Steak is also good.....nom..:drinker:
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I took a net of babybels to a festival last year and they were a great snack - they kept well since they're in wax and aren't dry like a lot of things you end up taking. Also fruit - bananas especially, since they have natural packaging. Some friends of mine brought bread, a jar of sundried tomatoes and some tinned fish to make sandwiches. I pre-made a loaf of peanut butter sandwiches thinking that would be great - don't do it! - sooo dry! :noway: Maybe cream cheese would have worked? I'm thinking of taking carrots as a snack - I'll happily munch them raw.
  • vitonaxi
    vitonaxi Posts: 1
    Options
    Before going on a trip, it’s important to write out a menu for each and every meal you’ll be eating, including snack time! These choices are final once you hit the trail, so it’s crucial to be prepared ahead of time. A good menu also serves as a packing list and ensures food is allocated to meals correctly so no one ends up with a dinner of canned peas on the last night. Be sure to take into account the number of campers on the trip as well as their personal appetites and the number of days and nights you’ll be out in the woods. Remember to pack the correct cooking tools. And always bring along at least one extra day’s worth of food, just in case.

<a href="http://essayreviewo.com/forum-9.html">More info</a>
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    it's a very tricky thing to pack for, i've tried many time, the things i've found the most success with are

Pita bread - it doesn't get too smashed up on the journey
    peanut butter
    cereal bars - not the greatest health wise but no bad either
    tinned fruit is great but too much is a pain to carry

what i would say though is you're at a music festival. you will do so much walking around you need to keep you're strength up, don't restrict yourself too much, it's the perfect experience to just let your hair down and have fun don't let you're diet get in the way of having fun
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos.

Pre-cook eggs, bacon, sausage, peppers, onions, etc., place the food on the wrap with some shredded cheese, wrap in aluminum foil, and then just throw them on the grill for 10-15 minutes to reheat and melt the cheese.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I always bring a pasta salad (with pasta, beans, veggies in italian dressing) - it holds well and covers all my food groups.
    PB&J
    Veggies on the grill
    hummus with veggies and/or pita or pretzel chips
    Fruit like grapes, apples, bananas... stuff that will hold well and is easy to eat.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We camp a lot and eat the same foods we do at home. Lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats.

If we are going to be in don't want to cook much situation we will precook meats so they can be heated up and I don't have to worry about the raw meat contaminating my veggies. Grilled veggies are always good. We also eat a few more sandwiches and wraps instead of using bread we will use pitas, tortillas or bagels, and I often use lettuce leaves. If you don't want to have to do lots of dishes use foil to cook in.

We hike a lot and have snacks/meals that we can carry with us that require no cooking or refrigeration. They have to be carried in a backpack. One of our favorite things to take is jerky, my husband loves to make beef jerky. String cheese is also good because you can use it many ways, we have one snack/ trail meals take a piece of thinly sliced cured meat and wrap it around a stick of string cheese. We also take trail mix, I make my own so I can control what is in it. Raw veggies. Dried fruit, we don't tend to like to carry fresh fruit because. We tend not to take bread type items with us because we have had them destroyed in the backpack too often. We don't take peanut butter because I don't like it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Tin foil dinners. Fill with raw chicken breast/burger patty, thinly sliced potatoes, onions, peppers, whatever. Add a slice of cheese too, if you like. Double wrap in a foil package and roast on coals. They are delicious. What I like best about them is their versatility. You can make them as healthy, or UNhealthy as you like. :wink:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Are you bringing a cooler? I would prepare some lean meats (chicken, flank steak, burgers) with marinades and then freeze them. Throw them in the cooler, cook them as they defrost.

Also, hard boiled eggs, Quest bars, fruit, pita bread, peanut butter, nuts...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I camp a lot and I eat pretty much the same stuff I'd eat at home. lean meats and veggie sides...burgers...potatoes and/or rice...lots of fruits and whatnot for snacking...eggs, etc for breakfast. We usually do cold cut sandwiches for lunch. To me there is nothing inherently unhealthy about any of that .

I guess it depends on how limited your perception of "healthy" is.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a camping trip for a week and although it wasn't all healthy I find the easiest thing to do is pre-make and freeze meals for quick thawing and eating. Ie. I made a healthy chili, put it in container and froze it. It acts as a freezer pack in the cooler until you take it out to reheat. It was a big hit this year. I also made sweet and sour meatballs using frozen blue menu chicken balls and put it on some rice. There is always baby carrots, celery, peppers and sweet peas in the cooler for snacking. Apples/bananas/oranges always good to have on hand. Fajitas are a great lighter choice. You can have all your veggies pre-sliced in a freezer bag, the fajitas meat marinated and frozen and then you just heat the meat, toss in the veggies and put in in a wrap with some sour cream and light cheese. I had a flank steak from Prime Cuts that was vacuum sealed with a marinade in the freezer so we grilled that one night with some sauteed onions. Oh, and boneless skinless chicken in marinate and frozen is always on our list as well.

Good luck and happy camping!
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    When I camp, I love burgers, but without the bun. Wrap it in lettuce or eat it by itself. That way you can put anything on it and cheese. I usually stay away from hotdogs because 1 hot dog has 950 miligrams of sodium. I hate turkey dogs. Lol
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't have any ideas that haven't already been said, but have fun! That sounds like a blast!
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who commented! These are all such good ideas :)
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This isn't low in calorie but we used to bring rice in a bag and tasty bites indian food that is in a foil packet. Both just need to be boiled, opened and then poured into a bowl to eat. Easy and delicious.
  • bobpasman
    bobpasman Posts: 3
    Options
    when you need it, jerky is the best bet; low carbs, low calories, low fat...great protein...

Any paleo snack that includes fruit, nuts and jerky also hits the spot...have fun...