MFP calorie amount seems a bit high. 2430 cals per day?

Options
Hi guys, im currently at 159 kgs and im just wondering about the amount of calories MFP tells me I can have per day. Its telling me 2430 and that seems pretty high. Ive started at a gym and will be doing 3 sessions there per week and will aim for a couple 60 min walks as well. Has anyone else gone with such a high calorie amount and had success with their weight loss?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Height? Age? target loss per week?

Anywho, assuming age 30, height 1.83 meters (6 foot), I get a BMR of 2589. 2430 seems quite reasonable for weight loss.
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    Use the link below and compare what that gives you to what MFP gave you.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    At 350 pounds, the 2430 doesn't seem high.

When I started at 335, MFP said over 2000 calories (I'm thinking 2200 or so, but I wouldn't bet money) even at 2 pounds per week.
  • Nitewulf
    Nitewulf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I changed a few of the settings and now its saying about 2180 cals per day. But thats with height 191cms, age 31 and i think i put 1kg per week down as target weight loss to be on the safe side when i signed up. I had been successfully losing weight with around 1500 cals per day at one point and doing a lot of walking and gym sessions but its just been something thats always been on my mind.... could i be eating more than i am and still get a good result. It almost sounds like an excuse to eat more food, but thats not really the reason i want to know. I'm just more curious. And thank you everyone for your responses. Much appreciated.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Use the link below and compare what that gives you to what MFP gave you.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

TDEE includes exercise. MFP does not, so you will get different numbers. Plus the % deficit doesn't equal out to the lb/week options MFP has.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you weigh 159 kg (350 lbs), how much do you think that you were eating to be able to put on that much weight? I am able to lose weight on 2800 cal. The idea here is to build a healthy sustainable relationship with food. Not to starve yourself and lose as much weight as fast as possible.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Judging by the diaries of some of my larger friends, I have friends who are women over 300lbs and they're losing weight steadily at like 2200 calories a day.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Because you are bigger, your intake is higher.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Eat as many calories as you would at your goal weight.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, im currently at 159 kgs and im just wondering about the amount of calories MFP tells me I can have per day. Its telling me 2430 and that seems pretty high. Ive started at a gym and will be doing 3 sessions there per week and will aim for a couple 60 min walks as well. Has anyone else gone with such a high calorie amount and had success with their weight loss?

You should lose just fine at that target. You could likely go lower without any real negative repercussions if you wanted to, but find a target that works for you.