Cooking salmon for the first time. Easy Recipes?

Options
lcangelini
lcangelini Posts: 33 Member
Anyone have any good easy recipes for salmon? I found a couple online but not sure if there were anymore low-cal easier ones out there. Thanks :)

Replies

• janicebelane
    janicebelane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love some too! My husband comes home from Alaska Saturday and has already caught several. We have an electric smoker. I bet just seasoning it up and smoking it would be awesome! Maybe a light dipping sauce to go w/ it.
  • libracurl
    libracurl Posts: 1
    Options
    Easy and yummy way is to pan fry with a little oil, salt and pepper. Mix some orange juice and honey together in a bowl and when salmon is mostly cooked, pour over and cook for about 5 minutes more. Very tasty!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I mix a little honey and a little mustard together, spread on top and bake skin side down on a tin foil lined baking sheet (no Pam) for 10 minutes at 350. Then I finish the last 5 under the broiler.

A good, sturdy spatula between the flesh and skin will allow you to take the meaty part right off, leaving the skin stuck to the tin foil.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven to 350F
    Place salmon on tin foil
    Pour 1tbsp maple syrup on salmon, brush to coat top
    Pinch foil closed forming a pouch.
    Bake for 20 minutes
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I mix a little honey and a little mustard together, spread on top and bake skin side down on a tin foil lined baking sheet (no Pam) for 10 minutes at 350. Then I finish the last 5 under the broiler.

A good, sturdy spatula between the flesh and skin will allow you to take the meaty part right off, leaving the skin stuck to the tin foil.

This with a little bit of minced garlic added & a dash of soy. Yum~
  • Dean649
    Dean649 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to fish salmon all summer as a kid and clean cook it on my own. I did live right next to the river.
    I always just cut into steaks maybe 2 inches thick, placed in tinfoil with salt, pepper and a bunch of lemon
    slices. Wrapped it all up and baked it in the oven. Nothing elaborate but easy and I enjoyed it.
    sliced unions sometimes was nice.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper, wrap in tinfoil (shiny side in), bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Super easy.

I've also done brown sugar rub like you would with a ham and put in canned pineapple with it. It makes this really awesome sauce/crust on the fillet. Mmmmm.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Made mine last night. Salt, pepper, and a healthy amount of lemon juice seared in a pan. Really that's all you need.

Boom. OP wanted low(er) Calorie - it doesn't get any lower Calorie than that. This also works for baking, which is how I like it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Wash salmon under running water.
    Place salmon on pan covered in tin foil.
    Place lemon slices on salmon.
    Sprinkle with pepper.
    Bake on 400 degrees for 20 min or until middle is not fleshy.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are two that I turn to. The first: mix some olive oil, brown sugar, soy sauce and water. Pour in a seal tight plastic bag, Add the salmon and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours if possible turning the bag over whenever you think about it. the amount of oil/sugar/soy/water varies depending on how much salmon you have but it is about 1/2C oil; 1 C sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce; 1/2 C water for about 3/4 -1 pound of salmon.

The second: poke the salmon fillets with a toothpick and pour some orange juice over it. Let that sit for about 20 minutes. Slice some fresh lemons and fresh limes. Put the salmon on a non-stick aluminum foil. Alternate slices of lemon/lime on top of the salmon. Close the foil and grill until done (10-15 minutes or so depending on how hot your grill is).
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Another one I like but higher in calories

Preheat oven to 350F
    Place salmon on tin foil
    Spread 1 tbsp butter/margarine onto salmon
    Place 2-3 slices of lemon on top of salmon
    Pinch foil closed forming a pouch.
    Bake for 20 minutes
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like my Salmon flaky/crunchy on the outside yet moist on the inside; so I prefer to broil it. I place it on a Pam sprayed aluminum foil covered cookie sheet skin down. Sprinkle any powdered seasonings you want (I prefer light Adobo with Lemon Pepper) and broil it on high until its nice and flakey. You will have to experiment where you place the rack as it depends on the oven. Too close and it will burn. To far away and you'll end up baking the juices out of it.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can poach salmon in coconut milk in the microwave for a few minutes (4-6 minutes depending on the size of the piece and the strength of the microwave). Rub the salmon with desired spices (I use mace, turmeric, and cayenne). Put it in a dish. Cover with a can of coconut milk. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes. You'd think microwaving salmon would be a bad idea, but mine has always come out tender and moist. I think you can use regular milk too, but I've never tried it.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Cover in cajun spice, wrap in tin foil, bake - 200C 10-15min

Wrap in parma ham, wrap in tin foil, bake - 200C 10-15min

Both really quick, easy and delicious
  • jazzinitup1017
    Options
    Rub salmon with some cajun spice rub (e.g., Cajun Foreplay- Dinosaur BBQ) or a mix of cinnamon, cumin, and brown sugar (awesome...), use a little Olive Oil or spray in a baking dish, bake @ 450 for 15 minutes.

I make salmon all the time and my roommate told me to start baking it instead of pan-frying it to save on those extra fatty oil calories. Haven't looked back since.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this... I was thinking of buying some but didn't have a recipe in mind. I may use some of these too :D
  • Amazonbella
    Amazonbella Posts: 338
    Options
    Do you have a "FRESH MARKET" grocer where you are? I go buy the Spinach Feta Salmon Pinwheels, or the Artichoke Stuffed Salmon they are ready made up and you take them home and just bake it in the oven. So much better than just plain salmon! :)
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle lemon pepper, then coat top with mayo, and sprinkle with grated parmesan. Bake. Enjoy.
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump