Portabella Mushroom Sandwiches

Options
thisis4me
thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
Tried this today for lunch and it was yummy!! My kids even liked them. We had ours wrapped in whole wheat tortillas.....Yumm:)http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/10/portobello-mushroom-sandwiches-crockpot.html

This is a dump and go recipe---no chopping required! You do have to get the stems out of the mushrooms, but you easily can do that on a little plastic plate or paper towel.

4 large portobello (bella) mushrooms, stems removed ( I sliced mine before putting in pot)
1/4 cup light Italian salad dressing
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Wash the mushrooms, and remove and discard the stems.
Put the mushrooms into your pot, and add the entire jar of roasted peppers and the salad dressing. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for about 2 hours.

Cooked mine for 2 hours on high and thought they were just right!!:)

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yum sounds good! Thanks for posting. I am always looking for easy recipes.
  • sarah449
    Options
    This is a good easy recipe too and even though there are some spicy ingredients it was very pleasing and not hot at all.

Chicken Tostadas
    prep: 25 minutes
    cook: 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
    3 tablespoons of chili powder
    3 tablespoons of lime juice
    2 medium fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
    10 tostada shells
    1 16-ounce can fat free refried beans
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
    1 cup chopped seeded tomato

1. In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, chili powder, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic and hot pepper sauce. (I mixed chili powder, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl and then poured over the meat.)
    2. Cover and cook on low-heating setting for 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high
    3. using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and onion from cooker. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; discard remaining liquid. using two forks, shred chicken. In a bowl, combine shredded chicken onion and the reserved 1/2 cup liquid.
    4. Spread tostada shells with refried beans Top with chicken mixture, lettuce, cheese, and tomato. Serve with lime wedges.
    Makes 10 servings.

per serving: 285 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 87 mg cholestrol, 495 mg sodium, 21 g carb., 5 g fiber, 26 g protein
  • sarah449
    Options
    This is a good easy recipe too and even though there are some spicy ingredients it was very pleasing and not hot at all.

Chicken Tostadas
    prep: 25 minutes
    cook: 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
    3 tablespoons of chili powder
    3 tablespoons of lime juice
    2 medium fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
    10 tostada shells
    1 16-ounce can fat free refried beans
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
    1 cup chopped seeded tomato

1. In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, chili powder, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic and hot pepper sauce. (I mixed chili powder, lime juice, jalapenos, garlic and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl and then poured over the meat.)
    2. Cover and cook on low-heating setting for 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high
    3. using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and onion from cooker. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; discard remaining liquid. using two forks, shred chicken. In a bowl, combine shredded chicken onion and the reserved 1/2 cup liquid.
    4. Spread tostada shells with refried beans Top with chicken mixture, lettuce, cheese, and tomato. Serve with lime wedges.
    Makes 10 servings.

per serving: 285 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 87 mg cholestrol, 495 mg sodium, 21 g carb., 5 g fiber, 26 g protein
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sarah449....sounds yummy!! Cant wait to try it!
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Both sound yummy! I'm cooking all day today so I have things to eat during the week with no thought. LOL. I love mrs dash on chicken and have rutabaga instead of potatoes. Oh and LOVE my rice cooker!!! Brown rice is great in it. Good Luck all!!! Next are the frozen veggies sautee'd for over my rice.
  • gonnabeHOT_Heidi
    gonnabeHOT_Heidi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    both sound delish! thanks!
  • xinzya
    xinzya Posts: 15
    Options
    Those recipes sound awesome- can't wait to try them as well w/ my family-