Cravings!

Options
Okay so is it just me or do other people have the same problem? So I've been craving a bunch of sweets like candy, cake, and chocolate; but I know not to eat any of it so I just ignore it. Is there anyway I can satisfy my craving without ruining my diet? Or is there a way I can not think about it so much? lol

Replies

• wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes I fight cravings everyday. It just so happens I was just on a websites for Hungry girl.com It gives you recipe ideas to make all kinds of foods and snacks healthier, it also gives you the nutritional values too
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    they say that you shouldn't cut out all sweets because you are more likely to binge when you do indulge in sweets. It has been a major downfall in many of my attempts to lose weight. After asking for advice several health conscious friends suggested incorporating sweets (not large amounts) every couple of days helps cut the cravings. I usually chew gum and drink water to cut down on my cravings. Another friend of mine eats ice... They say if you can get your brain to focus on something else for 20 minutes that your craving is most likely to ease or go away.
  • rosnnj
    rosnnj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are on a low carb diet but at work in the afternoon I crave a snickers. I go get a cup of Swiss Miss Cocoa with No Sugar Added and it seems to take the edge off. It is 30 calories.
  • Xenzu
    Xenzu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try a teaspoon - tablespoon of peanut butter. Yes, it sounds strange but it has worked for me. Also, I was told by a trainer to have a sweet thing every now and then. Controlled eating will stop the sweet binge later.

X-
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I get those cravings too! I have a horrible sweet tooth. I just try to make better choices in the sweet things I eat. I adore, I mean ADORE, chocolate. I just discovered these muffins, muffin tops and brownies made by Vitalicious. They are only 100 calories. The past couple of days I have been using them to give me my "chocolate fix". I also keep some sugar free mint chocolate hard candies at my desk at work. They are 10 calories, and somewhat help feed the fix. If you are really craving a snickers bar (or Reese's PB cup, or whatever), get it. Try eating only half of it just so the craving has been fulfilled. Put the other half in the fridge or freezer and save it for another time. It is all about portion control and willpower. If you try to eat something else instead of what you're craving chances are you are going to still eat what you were originally craving so now you have double the calories than if you would have just satisfied your craving in the first place. Don't feel guilty if you eat something "bad". Just watch your portions and remember it's a lot about moderation. Good luck!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I do fiber one bars. They are only 140 calories and give you 9 grams of fiber and a lot of protein too. They are super sweet and feel bad, but are actually pretty good for you.
  • missmouse11
    missmouse11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    satisfy the craving without going overboard. at our house that means sugarfree or fatfree jello pudding snacks (preportioned), skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, 3 hersheys kisses or a fun-size candybar leftover from halloween. just factor that into your calories for the day! we also will drink a glass of water before giving in, thats the compromise :)

also something i just discovered in the last few weeks: yoplait thick & creamy yogurts are just like pudding pie fillings - the key lime pie is my favorite!

for us, if you "deny" your cravings day in & day out, you just get frustrated. give in once in awhile and you'll feel happier and it also reminds you that you can still have anything you want - within reason :)
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I do fiber one bars. They are only 140 calories and give you 9 grams of fiber and a lot of protein too. They are super sweet and feel bad, but are actually pretty good for you.

The chocolate & oats fiber one bar is sooooo tasty!
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I always give in to my cravings... in moderation. Honestly, I don't usually crave sweet things, for me it's salty... But, I have found that if I keep putting off having what I really want, that I tend to binge eat , because I'm trying to find something that will satisfy that craving... but usually nothing does. so, if I want a bowl of icecream, I eat it, and I log it in my food journal... then I move on.

I too love snickers... just keep a bag of the bite sized one's in the freezer (less likely to overeat them if they are frozen)... take one or two out and put it in your lunch bag...if you have the craving for it...there you go, you have a controlled portion. Eat it slow and savor the flavor. The craving should subside without having to eat a whole candybar...

Lisa
  • salsafeet
    salsafeet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of tea with a sugar in and it takes the edge of my cravings for only 15 cals.
  • bmontano
    bmontano Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh great! I'll check it out. Thank you!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I get those sweet cravings all the time too. I try to fight them but some time I just have to give and but like everyone says portion control. Also, I have tried chewing gum and that does help.