Guys with small calves

Options
I was actually inspired to start this topic by allifantastical who has a post called "girls with man calves". As you can probably tell form the title, this topic is dedicated to guys like myself who have small calves. It's very interesting to think that while we have women with big muscular calves looking for ways to slim them down, we have on the opposite end of the scale guys like me who have small calves looking for ways make them bigger. Unfortunately for me, my small calves are mostly due to genetics, and I've been told that while they will become more muscular and more defined as I train, they'll probably never grow beyond where they are now. It kind of hurts to hear that I must admit but as a result I'm slowly but surely learning to accept them. The upside is that they're quite muscular from years of running, cycling and weight lifting. I just wish they could get bigger.

But If some scientist out there makes some sort of a breakthrough and discovers an exercise or something that can help guys with genetically small calves bulk them up, I'm all for it. But until then, I'm just going to have to learn to accept my small, but muscular, well defined calves. I never wear shorts when I go out (even on hot summer days) because I get very envious when I see people (especially women) with big muscular calves. I only wear them when I run because I'm a relatively fast runner and I usually run quite quickly past people so they never really get a clear view of my legs. I never, ever wear them to the gym, even when I run on the treadmill. Even at races when I finish I immediately run to the car and change into long pants.

Any other guys here have the same problem? Do you wish you could trade your small calves for larger ones, or are you satisfied with them? Do you have a wife or a girlfriend whose calves are bigger and more muscular than yours, and if so how do you feel about it? My girlfriend's calves are about 18" compared my 12" to 13" and they're all muscle and hard as rock (actually no, scratch that, hard as steel), and as much as I love them and think they're absolutely sexy, I do envy her. And she loves to wear shorts, especially ones that are knee length because she says she loves the way her calves look in them. I love the way they look in those shorts too but damn I'm so jealous. She also runs and cycles and does a bit weight training but nothing hard core. Her calves are also mostly genetic.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to grow genetically small calves, I'd greatly appreciate it. Any tips from the ladies will also be much appreciated too..

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think that you must fell about how we ladies feel when we see a guy with super long, thick, slightly curled eyelashes that are totally wasted on him! At least if ours are too pathetic we can get fake lashes.

PS, I would be willing to trade an inch and a half off of each calf if somebody will give me and inch and a half off of their torso height. I'm 5'2.5" but my legs are quite long compared to my body...if they every find a way of increasing somebodies torso height, I'm signing up! :D
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    lol. We all have parts of us we wish we could trade. My torso is quite long compared to my legs, so maybe I could trade an inch and a half of it for an inch and a half of each one of your calves lol. That would be so great if we could really do that. In a different dimension perhaps.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My husband has really small calves and I have large calves. He jokes about having chicken legs but it doesn't seem to really bother him otherwise.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have learned to live with my goat legs........
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ^ I'd still hit it. Just sayin.
  • runner2runner
    Options
    I've done calf raises for the past 3 years or so and my calves have not grown. I actually measured them today and they measured exactly 13". That is so tiny. I tried to get my girlfriend to tell me her secret regarding her 18" calves but she still maintains the genetics angle. I guess I'll just have to take her word for it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most Black men have high calves. I have made great growth over the last few months just by squatting every workout. That being said, I am more concerned about overall leg growth.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    How big do you consider "big calves"? Mine measure about 16", at their thickest.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Get fat and then your calfs will be forced to get more muscular to carry the load. Or you'll look like a balloon attached to two cocktail sticks! :)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I have really high up calves and I have to put a lot more effort into making them grow compared to my other body parts but they are fairly decent sized for my height now, if you want to achieve something:put your mind to it and you may achieve it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    you do realize to make your calves "bigger" you have to eat at a calorie surplus to add muscle correct??
  • runner2runner
    Options
    How big do you consider "big calves"? Mine measure about 16", at their thickest.

I'd say anything from 15" upwards. I measured my calves yesterday and they're 13" and let me tell, they're small. I posted some pictures of them on one of the other forums. It's the " Your Favorite Muscular Assets at your Current Fitness Level" forum. Check it out. You'll see how tiny my calves are.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bulk diet and lift heavy lower body weights.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Get fat and then your calfs will be forced to get more muscular to carry the load. Or you'll look like a balloon attached to two cocktail sticks! :)

Ha I came here to say this. Mine are 20" and ripped. Nothing puts on calf muscle like being 100+ lb overweight for years. Calves are hard but when they are strong they are amazing.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    Don't feel too bad, mine are 11.75 and I'm 6'2". I think I win for the smallest lol
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    wear pants all year and quit worrying about it ;-) OR eat at a surplus and do some serious leg workouts.... people tend to forget you will not gain muscle mass while eating on a calorie deficit.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Mine have always been pretty puney but ripped. Its one place I never gain any body fat but are just hard to build. I beleive its genetics to some degree but you can only work with what you have!
  • rippeddanny
    Options
    Your calves can get bigger! You are likely at a genetic disadvantage, but your calves can definitely get bigger. I would recommend eating a lot more and lifting a whole bunch of heavy weights with your calves. Calf raises are good, but do something like 10-15 sets of calf raises every other day or so. Do them with your toes pointed in, out, and pointed normally. And constantly increase weight. If you do alot of calf raises till you are too tired to walk, your calves will get bigger. Here, this article has really helped me:

www.whyaremycalvessmall.com

Also, don't wear pants all the time! It's much nicer to wear shorts in the summer, you probly notice your calves more than anyone else. Other people probably don't even notice. If anything you should just wear tight shorts. Like wear shorts a size or so too small, that will help make your calves look bigger.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I hate all those pictures titled "Friends don't let friends skip leg day" cuz I sort of relate. My arms aren't huge yet but 16.5" is a lot bigger than 14.5"...

I work the shiz outta my calves to try and get them to grow but since i'm cutting fat at the moment I doubt i'll put any size on them until my calories come back up.

It takes time though. Keep working them and keep eating and eventually they will start to suck a little bit less. Holler at me next year and see if I've got a different opinion...lol