Arghh - calves increasing while rest reducing!

Options
Have started running in last few weeks and was just doing circuit training in gym til then. Now while the running is doing wonders for my inches elsewhere, my calves are bulking. My jeans are tight on my calves and it's horrible. Any suggestions. Should I quit running. Well, I say running, but its jogging- about 6 to 7 mins per km and we run about 30-45 mins 3 x a week (and sometimes I run 2-3km on my lunchbreak)

Replies

• Shovelita
    Shovelita Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Calf curves are hot! Why would you not want them?
  • criticaltodd
    Options

+1 to that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing! It's not a problem with your calves. It's a problem with your jeans. Buy new ones that fit your wonderful calves. Maybe look into those "Anti-Thigh-Gap" jeans. :)
  • 2messy4life
    Options
    Big calves are sexy!!! Keep running and buy new pants!
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have started running in last few weeks and was just doing circuit training in gym til then. Now while the running is doing wonders for my inches elsewhere, my calves are bulking. My jeans are tight on my calves and it's horrible. Any suggestions. Should I quit running. Well, I say running, but its jogging- about 6 to 7 mins per km and we run about 30-45 mins 3 x a week (and sometimes I run 2-3km on my lunchbreak)

I've never really found running to cause bulking. I seem to find the opposite. Odd. I agree with above poster who said your calves aren't the problem! Find a different style. And stretch. Stretch is our friend at any weight or size. ;)
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options

I agree and have the same issue...I love the way running calves look in heels and skirts and shorts, but the new skinny jean styles are tight on the calves, and I've found that they ride up and get stuck when I sit, so I have to pull them down as I stand. I'm wondering if cutting back on the inclines and running more flat would help. Anyone?
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

THIS! :)
  • failteromhat
    failteromhat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok...well mine aren't hot. Looks like I have a pair of b@lls on the back of my legs :-D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Any "bulking" you are getting from running distance is just pump...basically water in your muscle. You don't bulk on muscle in a matter of weeks running...you don't bulk on muscle in a matter of weeks lifting with a spot on diet and a surplus of calories. Actually bulking on muscle is extremely difficult to do and doesn't happen by accident and doesn't happen as a result of cardiovascular activity.

If you don't want that pump and don't want muscle you should just do nothing...it works pretty good.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My calves are like the same size as my thighs. No joke. (okay maybe exaggerating a liiiitle). Rock it anyway. I agree with the stretchy jeans post lol Jeggings are my new best friend.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    please tell me your secret because I'd love to bulk up my calves. Doing calf raises with over 160lb on my shoulders didn't work..
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    LOL, you're not going to bulk from running, especially long distance running.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

THIS! :)

Because then you can't fit into these: http://www.bornshoes.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=9871

0KzKIom.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love being able to leg press 600lbs, but I want cute boots too, dangit.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Every time I see a woman with defined calf muscles, I am envious. Just think of all the women who are wishing their legs looked like yours. :heart:
  • rippeddanny
    Options
    Firstly, keep your calves!!!!!!!!!!! Get new jeans. but also, running can for sure bulk up your calves. Here's a good article that helped me understand things a bit better if your interested:

www.whyaremycalvessmall.com