Your period and weight gain....

Options
Does anyone know an estimate of how much water weight you gain during your period? I have had 3 awesome weeks of weight loss and this week only .2 pounds. I'm annoyed and disappointed. I worked hard i worked out every day I ate less under calorie goals to only have a loss of .2 pounds is very discouraging. I was wondering if it is due to just getting my period. I heard that that will add weight - just curious if any one having same results during weeks of your period?

Replies

• ChrisWag
    Options
    I gain between 2-3 lbs the week before mine and it takes about 3-5 days after to be back to my normal weight......

hope that helps ease your mind....

Christie
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I typically plateau or gain 2-3 pounds (depends on my hormone levels). It's water weight and not something I worry too much about.. Once I am done, I go back to normal weight or even drop some, especially if I've kept up with the exercise, water drinking and nutritious eating.
  • ShellBelle76
    Options
    Ok. Whew. I was wondering the same thing.

I feel better about these couple of pounds that seem to have come out of nowhere. :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've gained as much as 6 lbs. during my period...it's usually 3-4. Gone 2 days after my period actually stops. I also tend to crave salty things during my period which clearly doesn't help matters either.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I gain 3 lbs, every month during my cycle. It's clockwork. But it usually disappears after my period ends so don't get discouraged!

I also notice that the week before I start, I'm ravenous and can't seem to eat enough to satisfy me. Then after my period ends, I have no appetite at all. So bizarre being a woman sometimes. :) I used to beat myself up for not being able to control my hunger before my period but now I listen to my body and understand what is going to happen. I can be prepared for it and ride it out.

Good luck!
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Up to 8 lbs for me!! :tongue:

I cant get enough to eat the week before either and its usually salty or sugary foods too. I have almost no appetite any other time just then. I tend to gain enough to up a notch on the belt! But its gone within 2-3 days. I have to be really careful what I eat the week before or I end up with the 8lb gain.

Its the norm :ohwell:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've gained 4 lbs right before my period, then lose it right after. Don't worry, it will come back off.
  • dbarker82
    Options
    I am so glad to hear thaT I am not alone in this. I am on the 2nd week of my diet and the first week was great I ended up losing 2.1 pounds. Then this week I find myself grazing more than usual, wanting to snack all the time, and even cheating on my diet. I have never been one for very strong will power but I have been really down the last couple of days because I have been doing so bad with my diet. Now I just chock it up to having my period. The funny thing is after weighing myself a few minutes ago I actually lost weight this week, only 1.4 lbs but at least it was something.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person: keep in mind, during TOM, many crave sodium - not just sweets & that is where a lot of the bloat comes from (also, check the sodium content in chocolate & sweets - many times that is ridiculously high!). The more your get on a healthier eating track & exercise plan the less "change" or flucutations you'll notice. I bloat a tiny bit in my tummy now (lower part) but other than that, virtually no cramps or cravings (HUGE change from me before when I would be in pain for 7 days straight!). it's taken time to change, but I no longer really need "period" clothes unless I just feel like being lazy.
    Don't get me wrong: I still eat chips & chocolate on occasion & pizza or other "junk" foods, but I don't treat TOM any different from any other day... except I don't wear light coloured slacks :wink:
    I generally lose weight now during TOM (I know - half of you hate me right now), but it's because I also up my water intake to combat the bloat & up my iron & protein since I'm losing so much. you'd be surprised what happens when you replace what you're losing, especially with good choices. Find your body's likes & dislikes & you'll find your weightloss niche :flowerforyou:
    (PS: my current profile pic was taken during TOM - I had gone shopping that day & bought a new pair of slacks a size smaller & fit into a top I hadn't been able to fit into in over 3 years! - patience & consistence win out in the end :happy: )